Space Radar Dish
4%
Other
8%

Total votes: 52

wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

All that chrome can really brighten your day can't it. :wink: You should see what happens with the flash on... Like the fire of a thousand suns so to was that pic. My eyes reel just thinking about it.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Hey, neat pic! How much did those guys cost, or rather, how much would it cost me to make ones like them?

Mr. D
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

That I can't really tell you, what something cost me and what it may cost someone else can be entirely different.

Many of my figs and accessories were purchased back in the hayday of Ebay. This was when most of the Lego lots were great, not many people were buying, so costs were low and I had a lot of money to toss around on large bulk lots.

Things have changed at ebay and I doubt I'd risk buying large bulk lots from most of the sellers on there. Castle fig and accessory lots can be crazy expensive sometimes.

I can tell you that if you shop around on bricklink you could build one of these guys for around $5 - $6. I probably paid about .75 cents each to put these guys together. So things have changed, look for sales on bricklink, they are always a good bet.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Thanks.
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

TwoTonic Knight wrote:(real) Triangle: snip as a single or double to form a diamond shape, it's a interesting change of pace. You can put a sticker on either format.
And I plan to make a bunch of singles (already purchased)
Round Radar Dish: Chop up a Harry Potter Wand to make it shorter and it becomes a grip and a shield boss. Forget stickers, but at least it has a variety of colors. A good make-your-own.
Exactly! Take a look at the guy in the middle:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=400238
Each shield comes in at less than 10 cents (not including my own labour -- I build for the fun of it)

And then there's this:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=890
Again, already purchased. I'll be cutting up a few bar/ladder pieces to get the handles, using airplane glue.

When I get pics of the triangle and octagon shields I'll post a notice.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Nice, but I would never have the guts to cut up my precious lego - Last week I came *this* close to painting one, but I just couldn't. I guess that makes me a purist :?
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

lemon_squeezer2 wrote:Nice, but I would never have the guts to cut up my precious lego - Last week I came *this* close to painting one, but I just couldn't. I guess that makes me a purist :?
eeeyew.... I'm glad you resisted. Painting just doesn't seem right. But then again, how is it any worse than applying stickers? (don't answer that)

I started with the Bat Helmet (see same picture above). After that, it became easier to make the next cuts. All in all, though, I try to keep it simple. I certainly wouldn't try to cut up a brick!!!! Ooooh, that's just wrong :o

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

footsteps wrote: Painting just doesn't seem right. But then again, how is it any worse than applying stickers? (don't answer that)

Dang, I just gotta answer that! It's worse for a number of reasons. I can actually get better and more precise detail with stickers. Stickers (at least on the glossy photo paper I use) are fairly good matches for the intensity of color and reflectivity of Lego plastic - in fact, the normal printed shields are duller by comparison. I can remove stickers (I use washable glue, so the residue wipes off) and have the original shield back. Paint tends to show brushstrokes and surface texture. I can design and print all the stickers I want of a single design in the time it would take me to paint one or two shields.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

I like all the sheilds...

LR