Space Radar Dish
4%
Other
8%

Total votes: 52

Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

the oval shields look good but due to the handle you cannot hold them side on, only directly in front of your minifig. they should have stuck with the original handle
Hey, what are you talking about? The Ovoid shields are very easy to hold on the side: http://library.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/g ... gi?i=16245.

Mr. D
cheez11111
Gong Farmer

Post by cheez11111 »

I'd Have to say that the oval shields are the best. The triangular shields are kinda neat but the handle is very difficult to use. The handle on the oval shields is however, much easier to position.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Ok - just throwing in my two crowns worth here.

I voted for trianular, because that is what I do all my customs with, but really I like them all. Each does have a different place, and one only has to read the preceding arguments for each one, to figure out which place for which shield that is... :)

Now, I really do want to try the new ones. I can only hope that the new KK system ones aren't cardboard.

*hope hope hope hope*

That being said, this is another great poll.

:D
LF
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Thanks, LF.

Mr. D
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

I voted 'other' because I like them all!

Oval - This shield is mostly for the elite troops and commanders. Note my sig-figs sports the rare plain dark gray shield. 8)

Tri - this is probally my least favorite shield, it just seems too small. It does, however, have the most faction logos on them. :?

Round - sadly, I don't have any of these. :cry:

Space Radar Dish - The 2x2 dish seems small and the 4x4 too big but the 3x3 dishes are the perfect size for figs! My favorite 'custom' shield! :D

Other - I sometimes use a dark grey HP wand (or SW lightsaber) and two of these parts to make a roman sheild. :)
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Kite: Or oval. A good early medieval design, but not one for the later periods. I still like it if only because its size is great for making stickers (and you can get cheap Islander/Amerind shields). This is the one that got my vote.

Heater: Or triangular (but see below). That funky hand grip! I usually have the figs carry the shield at the low port gripping the horizontal bar rather than have to do the full arm extend with the vertical bar. It shows off the torso design better with the former grip.

New KK: Just a placemarker comment for when I actually see it. Looks kinda more Roman than medieval, but we shall see.

Trash Can Lid: Sometimes refered to as the "round" shield. I think I've summed up my opinion as to what it looks like. Dull as dirt gray and the "corrugated" trash can lid look is not conducive to stickers. :D

Asian Convex Round: Alas, you can't easily put a sticker on these, and they are rare, but they look good.

Interesting alternatives:

(real) Triangle: Why Lord of the Lego refers to this as Roman, I'm not quite sure, but either as a single or double to form a diamond shape, it's a interesting change of pace. You can put a sticker on either format.

Round Radar Dish: Chop up a Harry Potter Wand to make it shorter and it becomes a grip and a shield boss. Forget stickers, but at least it has a variety of colors. A good make-your-own.

2x2 Round Flat: Or what do I do with all these yellow targets that I got in one of the castle accessories packs? Slap a sticker on 'em and mount with either a round dot or a beer tap (glue helps because otherwise the arrangement is fragile).

2x2 Round ship bottom piece: Gad, what's the proper technical name for this one? It's the convex piece that is usually put on to the bottom of Lego ships so that they slide easier. I press these on to Skeleton arms so that they hold their "shield" to the side. Considering the floppy and fragile nature of Skellie arms, this actually works reasonably well.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

I was checking out a book at my local bookstore: "Castles of the Teutonic Knights: 1250-1415," (or something similar) dealing with castles in the Baltic/Poland/Russia area, and noticed that in many of the illustrations they showed a large, rectangular shields being used, mostly by foot soldiers, either being carried into battle by hand or being propped up for use as protection by archers.

Is this accurate? I didn't think rectangular shields were used in Europe after Vikings came along, but if they did, the new KK shield may not be quite so useless, is a little smaller than the ones in the illustrations.

Great book by the way. Very inspirational for building red brick castles with buildings making up the outer walls.
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

It's called a "pavise". They were used throughout the
medieval periods, which would be propped up to offer
cover for an archer/crossbowmen.

So yes, they're accurate for archers at least.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

TwoTonic Knight wrote:(real) Triangle: Why Lord of the Lego refers to this as Roman, I'm not quite sure,
It sounds like you are talking about these shields.

I was refering to my rectangle shield, seen here on my Goblin King.

PS - here's my 'custom' radar dish shields:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lordo ... diers1.jpg
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:
TwoTonic Knight wrote:(real) Triangle: Why Lord of the Lego refers to this as Roman, I'm not quite sure,
It sounds like you are talking about these shields.

I was refering to my rectangle shield, seen here on my Goblin King.

PS - here's my 'custom' radar dish shields:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lordo ... diers1.jpg
Oops. Yes, I was refering to the double-triangle shields. The double-flat 2x2 can work as a Roman (is there a 4x2 flat?). And those poor Chinese without their hats! Haha! Yup, they work as shields. Not to mention Jeff's version of the heater shield (Jeff! Can you post a template for making shield stickers for those - mine are all still blah gray).

Oh, and yes, I was guilty of thinking of the new KK shields in terms of something a knight would carry. Crossbowmen would often have a large shield, mostly rectangular called a pavise that they would prop up and hide behind while reloading. Mea culpa... :)

-->Bruce<--

(oh NO! 99th post! One more post and I'm vile. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...)

Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Thanks for the history leason, guys, It's very interesting. I never knew before that crossbow archers used shields; a helpful discovery since I plane on building a army, part of which is made up of crossbow archers.

Mr. D

P.S. I see that I am also aproaching villien-hood. :(
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Villein-Hood gets tiresome after a while, I should get to be something else at this point. I blab and blab and nothing changes. As a King I find this very vexing....

...I'm off to order the heads of a few of my own villeins. Thats what kings do when they're bored. :twisted:

Now where was that page with my wine...
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

I can see what you meen, Will. By the way, where'd you get the beard that your sigfig is wearing?

Mr. D
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

That particular beard came from the 6271 Imperial Flagship. The Admiral from that set is bearded so. :D

Back On-Topic, I really like the 2 x 2 chrome silver radar dish with a silver harpoon as a handle. This is another favorite shield of mine. Works great with the chrome armor, sword and helmet. Here is a link to how it looks: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wlist ... 000228.jpg

I used harpoons a a lance of sorts in that pic as well.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

wlister wrote: Back On-Topic, I really like the 2 x 2 chrome silver radar dish with a silver harpoon as a handle. This is another favorite shield of mine. Works great with the chrome armor, sword and helmet. Here is a link to how it looks: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wlist ... 000228.jpg

Geez-Looooeeeeezzzzzzzz! Warn people to put on their sunglasses before you direct them to a pic like that! 8)

Sparkly!