12%
Other (please leave message)
No votes

Total votes: 34

TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Forest Folk Legend

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

So, the Legend poll got me to thinking - which is the best Forestmen representative? I tossed in the Dark Forest sets just for completeness. Determine however you want to on what should constitute a Legend. I left off the various carts and the little ambush set as things not appropriate to Legend status - but if you absolutely feel otherwise, feel free to write it in.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

I voted camoflaged outpost. I did it beacuse it came with a nice number of mini-figs, was viewable from all sides, and was afordabul. :twisted:
coyote
Peasant

Post by coyote »

6071 Forestmen's Crossing

It was an US-only set and came with an unique baseplate and a female Forest ...errr... woman 8)

Well, I voted, because I don't own this set and 6079, either.

In my opinion are all Forestmen-sets legendary, it's hard to decide. The first sets were simply great because they brought a new fraction to Legoland Castle and are ... different. In Germany they were sold as Robin Hood (not specifying, which one of the 6054 minifigs is Robin or Little John) and therefore implicated the Black Monarch's men as being the evil minions of King John or the Sherriff of Nottingham.

6054 Forestmen's Hideout had a great playability, you could open the tree and there were the first green whips to do a tarzanlike swinging. Got mine for Easter :-)

6066 Camouflaged Outpost was a big deal. It came with LOTS of Forestmen, had an great architecture and was really, really camouflaged!

6077 Forestmen's River Fortress was the biggest Forestmen set so far and the hugest tower in the hole castle line (built up on a simple baseplate). I liked it very much and you could play hours and hours with it. The only thing I always wondered is, why the Forestmen took this tower. It wasn't secret nor very camouflaged and the Black Knights (given as enemies) could easily assault the tower ...

Well, the two respectively three Darkforest sets came late and were a special to some German toy shops of the "Vedes"-group. Although they had great Minifigs and al lots of neat details, they also indicate a slight kind of beginning juniorization as for the many action features such as catapults (what the heck do you get an advantage from an immovable catapult WITHOUT any walls protecting it?!).

so long.
When in doubt empty the magazine.
Never share a foxhole with someone braver then you are.
If you're short of everything except the enemy, you're in combat.
Don't look conspicuous, it draws fire.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I had to vote for 6071. I never had the chance to buy it and it was the only Forestmen set I never purchased. Some of the sets had better fig counts and for me the 6066 was a very close second. The forest woman fig is what makes the 6071 Legendary. She is usually at the top of most of the castle heads wish lists that I know. The set would be second to 6066, but the forest woman is the legend.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

6071 for the forestwoman factor. Like others have already pointed out 6066 a CLOSE second :)
Troy T. Moore
jeff_o_rama
Laborer

Post by jeff_o_rama »

It is very well designed, comes with the gamut of forestmen figs (except the lady), and is a great hiding spot for them.

-Jeff
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

6066, very closely followed by 6071.

6066 has a better structure, nicer parts selection, and uses less % wall pieces than 6071.

However, 6071 is slightly more of a legend... One of the first woman figs... Maybe the second?
the_great_one
Artisan

Post by the_great_one »

6066 is better due to the better parts and structure

TGO
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

OK, this is a though one.

When I was a kid and those two sets 6066 and 6054 went out, since I couldn't afford them both at first and needed to choose only one I really couldn't make up my mind.
I bought 6066 at first but since I couldn't handle not having 6054, a while later I bought it as well. Still till today I think they both make excellent sets, the only true advantage that 6066 has on 6054 is the fact it's got 6 minifigs and a horse when 6054 got only 2 minifigs.

If I was working in TLC and had this choice I'll probably try to make it a double set Legend sold in one pack. Those 2 sets in my eyes are can't be separated.

Still I can choose here only one so I'll go for 6066 again cause it's got 6 minifigs, no other reason
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Tough question, indeeed. I vote for 6066 because it has a good selection of figs and parts. 6077 is a close second in my opinion, because it's got two more swords and a King's soldier. However, it only has two bows (compared to five) and the bow and arrow is really the forestmen weapon. Another nice thing about 6066 is the horse.

Mr. D
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

All sorts of interesting comments. In reviewing all the sets for making the poll, I came to the conclusion that it was difficult to choose a definitive Forestmen set. A bunch of good ones, but it's one of those things where you kinda want all of them to make up a forest setting. I like 6071 the best, but I don't think it stands as well on it's own as 6066 does. 6054 is quite good, but it's clear by the comments that people want sets that have a good ratio of figs in it. The trouble is, I was never willing to buy 6071 because the forestwoman rarity always kicked up the price on the used market, and I wasn't going to pay the premium.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

I voted for the 6071. It's the one I'd buy multiples of. It has lots of useful parts, possibly more grey than the 6066. The brown ladder and the forest woman are terrific aspects of this set but what would make me buy 5 or 6 of it......that baseplate. Yeah, it has the white dots on it but those can be covered up with some bushes or plates or trees.....
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]