Castle sets aren't that bad, compared to . . . .

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Castle sets aren't that bad, compared to . . . .

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

You guys don’t have it nearly as bad as people like me, who like Pirate better than castle(sorry!)! At least your action sets are semi-realistic, and you at least have minifigure sets. The only Pirates being released are the Jack Stone style(for pics, go to www.freelug.org/breve.php3?id_breve=75 We have these coming out:

A dumb-looking raft with a catapult and a lantern. On a raft!

Dancing pirates with oversized hats on an island.

Basil the Bat Lord’s evil(er) cousin on a boat with a bat and a scorpion, no rudder to steer the boat, and no rigging to also steer the boat.

A “Bad-guy” Pirate’s base(as opposed to the “good-guy” pirates, who get a large ship). It’s terribly done.

A terribly-done "good-guy" ship that is bulky, juniorized, and has an extremely incorrect sail on the mizzen.

The Knight’s Kingdom sets give you minifig knights, a well-constructed castle, and other various cool sets and pieces(the minifig green knight looks pretty cool).
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Maybe Pirates will have a minifig line, and this is just the juniorized transitionary set for kids who like pirates but are too young to get the System scale ones?
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

I loved Pirates for a long time, but Lego has just ignored it for so long that Castles has replaced it as my favorite. Honestly, I'd have prefered that they continue to ignore it rather than release this junk that is coming. Alas.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Dada
Freeman

Post by Dada »

My God !!! :shock:
It's too bad !!! :x
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

I would have preferred LEGO not releasing this, and making more legends.

JPinoy, the official *coughgregcough* said that these were the sets he talked about.

When I first heard from an official at LEGO that there were going to be new Pirate sets, I was so happy! I imagined ports and harbors with English and Spanish Navy and Armada people, plus villagers. I imagined big ships like the SES(I wish they re-released that!) with good construction and good minifigs, I imagined forts and bases, islands, ships, and towns. Alas, this is what I get.
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

YIKES!!! :roll:
Troy T. Moore
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Youch :shock: That's awful.
However, I suppose there is a shread of a chance that they might do better with the pirate line - a minifig scale one. As with castle... I'm thinking that that's all we're going to get.
coyote
Peasant

Post by coyote »

I'd rather buy Playmobil or Fisher Price pirates than that crap. These sets realy suck.

And prove, that Jack Stone is one of the worst inventions they did at TLC.

I feel with you, brother.
When in doubt empty the magazine.
Never share a foxhole with someone braver then you are.
If you're short of everything except the enemy, you're in combat.
Don't look conspicuous, it draws fire.
Jojo
Master

Re: Castle sets aren't that bad, compared to . . . .

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Sir_Marcellus wrote:A dumb-looking raft with a catapult and a lantern. On a raft!
At least there comes a chrome scimitar with this raft. Luckily it's the smallest and less expensiv set...
A “Bad-guy” Pirate’s base(as opposed to the “good-guy” pirates, who get a large ship). It’s terribly done.

A terribly-done "good-guy" ship that is bulky, juniorized, and has an extremely incorrect sail on the mizzen.
There is more to build in Playmobil sets than in LEGO sets these days. And THEY do not do islands in cardboard.
When I first heard from an official at LEGO that there were going to be new Pirate sets, I was so happy! I imagined ports and harbors with English and Spanish Navy and Armada people, plus villagers. I imagined big ships like the SES(I wish they re-released that!) with good construction and good minifigs, I imagined forts and bases, islands, ships, and towns. Alas, this is what I get.
Let me give you this advice: Don't imagine anything! At least don't expect anything great! When LEGO (TLC) says "Banner year!" expect the worst. Never let your hopes fly high again. Hopes regarding future LEGO releases are meant to be smashed to pieces. Unfortunatelly those pieces get larger and larger recently :-(

Bye
Jojo

footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: Castle sets aren't that bad, compared to . . . .

Post by footsteps »

Ouch, that's gotta hurt. Let's hope it's just the precursor to a proper re-launch. After Castle, Pirates always struck me as being a really interesting theme.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

What cheeses me off is that they’ve got some good pieces, like a light grey barrel, ship’s wheels, black oars and such, but the sets are terrible.

The pirate emblems look cartoon-esque, and WHY are the pirates using scimitars? They only slightly resemble cutlasses. Maybe because the pirates are too big to carry normal weapons.

JoJo, the island doesn’t look like cardboard to me. Methinks it's laminated paper.
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

It is not fair to compare these Pirate sets to castle system sets. These pirate sets are for smaller children. I think they would be fine for a 5 year old.

The only thing that bothers me is some of the giant pieces - such as the ones on the large pirate ship. These sets serve their purpose, and that purpose is not to be system sets as we know them.

In addition, when children who have these sets get older they will want regular system pirate sets - so that should be good for us.

Ben E.
Sets Admin
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

But Ben, those kids will not have any system Pirate, see? They’re not making it! If they did, I’d have no complaints with this new Pirate line.
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

But Ben, those kids will not have any system Pirate, see? They’re not making it! If they did, I’d have no complaints with this new Pirate line.
This is true. But you have to look at this in the long term. Why do the members of this site like high quality semi-realistic castle sets? Why do we have reservations about the new KK sets?

It is because we had realistic system castle sets from the late 70's to mid 90's. In the same way, these young children will learn to love the idea of pirate Lego. When they become older they will want system pirate. If Lego has good sense, they will make system pirate in two or three years for these kids to play with.

Ben E.
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

I would agree, Ben E, except that I just wrote to this official and he said that in the near future, to the best of his knowledge, there would be no more pirate, minifig-scale or other, apart from these sets.
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison