Which sets should be Castle "Classics" and why?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products

6048 Majisto's Magical Workshop
No votes
6075 Wolfpack Tower
21%
6078 Royal Drawbridge
No votes
6079 Dark Forest Fortress
5%
6081 King's Mountain Fortress
37%
6082 Fire Breathing Fortress
No votes
6086 Black Knight's Castle
32%
6090 Royal Knight's Castle
5%

Total votes: 19

architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

After the good response from my legends poll, I though CC members would like to vote on which sets they think should be rereleased as classics. The sets in the poll are medium to large in size and from the 1990's.

Yes, 6086 is great, but I hope people vote for other sets as well :)
Last edited by architect on Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

Bah! Nasty Ben put my two favorite sets on the poll. 6086 and WP Tower...

As much as it pains me, being a lover of 6086, I have to go for the WP Tower. Better minifigs (excluding the armour), and a very cool structure. Also, it would be affordable (!!). I doubt 6086 would be cheap...
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

I already voted for 6086 as a Legend (fie upon calling it a "classic"). If you want to disallow that vote, then take one from the Wolfpack Tower and add it to 6086, because it is the class of the field here.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

6086 is a Legend. 6075 is a Classic.
Dan_BL
Apprentice

Post by Dan_BL »

Devari wrote:Bah! Nasty Ben put my two favorite sets on the poll. 6086 and WP Tower...

As much as it pains me, being a lover of 6086, I have to go for the WP Tower. Better minifigs (excluding the armour), and a very cool structure. Also, it would be affordable (!!). I doubt 6086 would be cheap...
True, but when I vote, I don't think of which one I'll be buying. Instead I focus on the one that will make certain parts go down in value thus increaseing their volume on BL.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
TwoTonic Knight wrote:I already voted for 6086 as a Legend (fie upon calling it a "classic").
Now, why's that? It doesn't matter if 6086 is called a "Legend" or a "Classic", the effect is the same: It will be re-released...
May I quote you?
TwoTonic Knight wrote:It has to be a great old set that people want to buy again - "Legends" isn't about validation, it's about offering a great old set that is in demand and people will buy.
Sorry; I just HAD to say that ;)

Bye
Jojo

Jojo
Master

Re: Which sets should be Castle "Classics" and why

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

architect wrote:After the good response from my legends poll, I though CC members would like to vote on which sets they think should be rereleased as classics. The sets in the poll are medium to large in size and from the 1990's.
Technically even the sets from the early 90's would be able to be re-released as "Legends". Set 6350 "Pizza To Go" is from 1994 and became a Legend. (Which status I personally highly doubt, but my opinion doesn't count.)

http://www.brickset.com/search.aspx?Que ... %20to%20go

Bye
Jojo

TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Jojo wrote:Hello!
TwoTonic Knight wrote:I already voted for 6086 as a Legend (fie upon calling it a "classic").
Now, why's that? It doesn't matter if 6086 is called a "Legend" or a "Classic", the effect is the same: It will be re-released...
May I quote you?
No. This is legally enforcable and...oops! You just did it. Now you're in for it! :wink:
TwoTonic Knight wrote:It has to be a great old set that people want to buy again - "Legends" isn't about validation, it's about offering a great old set that is in demand and people will buy.
Sorry; I just HAD to say that ;)
I don't know why you had to attempt to draw an inaccurate parallel. :lol:

You are confusing a Legend, which has some connotation of greatness, with a Classic, which doesn't, beyond Lego thinks there is a market for a brief re-release. There is a difference between the Legendary Black Sea Barracuda and the "Classic" (quotes included to express my disagreement with that term) Redbeard Runner, for example. Simply put, 6086 meets my criteria - you seem to have missed, or misunderstood, my use of "great". The rest of the sets mentioned in this poll are all worthy in some fashion, but simply not in the same class as 6086.

And either you don't sleep or you get up way too early.
:shock:
Last edited by TwoTonic Knight on Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

Hmmm... I loved Pizza-to-go... One of my first sets. But it isn't a "legend"...

I really think it was partial inspiration for Lego Island 1. That was a game ahead of its time. Fantastic graphics for 1997, and overall pretty cool. The only thing I would have loved was for it to be a bit more open-ended...

But of course, nobody cares about LI 1 and the above ramble. ;)

With the removal of 6086, how do you think voting would go? I'm guessing along the lines of 6075, but that's just me.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Yes, 6086 is great, but I hope people vote for other sets as well
So with that I voted 6081! I like the figs, especially the female fig, euro armour and grey castle.

One thing to take note of with all the options, each and every castle/fortress is on some kind of raised baseplate. I know that when I build castles, those plates are incorperated into the whole structure, I usually place my keep or great hall or some other thing (treasury, kitchen, bed chambers) on top of the raised baseplate in the back wall of my castles.

As the saying goes, "Beggars can't be choosers." So given the offerings of 2004, any of the castle/fortress structures listed, being re-released would be most welcome :wink:
Troy T. Moore
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

I voted for 6081; the peices are great, it has a nice fig selection, and I like the armor.

Mr. D
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

After a struggle between 6090 (which I have and love) and 6081 (which I don't have but love) and because of the fact that I think that if 6090 is classic then 6078 should be out with it as well, and also because that the bricks as bricks are better in 6081 I joined forces for 6081 as the next Castle Classic.
coyote
Peasant

Post by coyote »

6081 ... again ;-)
When in doubt empty the magazine.
Never share a foxhole with someone braver then you are.
If you're short of everything except the enemy, you're in combat.
Don't look conspicuous, it draws fire.