Viking faction

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

DM wrote
They did do good things. Like colonizing America and jumpstarting feudalism.
Viking colonize America :shock: ??? Not true. They discover the American continent diriged by Olaf Ericsson by the end of 10th century, but that's all. They stay in North East Canada (Labrador and Newfounland) for 2 or 3 or 4 years and they quit forever after 2 or 3 or 4 very cold winter. They were unlucky.

About feudalism, I not sure I understand what you want to said. However, it's sure they don't implement feudalism in North America.
Duchessa
Serf

Post by Duchessa »

Well, David, I think that his name was Leif Eriksson, but that's quite close to Olaf Ericsson :)

And maybe you should be glad that they perished in the Canadian wilderness, because if the hadn't, you would all have been speaking Swedish right now - and that's a really difficult language :D
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

Oops. Leif. A bit close ! My memory isn't perfect. :lol: Thank for the correction. I'll remember this time.

Swedish may be a hard language, but french is too (in writing). I'd prefer that Viking has colonise North America. They could have made castle and a medieval civilisation here. :wink: Anyway, if Viking had colonize North America, I should has been born in France. Many of my ancestor came from France in 17th century. I have some amerindians ancestor, but not much. Mostly French origin.

Anyway, I'd prefer to been born in Europa. :cry: Peoples are more close of my way of thinking.
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

must.... resist..... off.... topic...... not..... Lego......

AAAAaaaarghhh........

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

Sorry, folks, if this thread gets locked down, but I just had to insert my own two cents on this fascinating topic. :)

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

?!?!?!?!, what?

LR
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Viking colonize America ??? Not true. They discover the American continent diriged by Olaf Ericsson by the end of 10th century, but that's all. They stay in North East Canada (Labrador and Newfounland) for 2 or 3 or 4 years and they quit forever after 2 or 3 or 4 very cold winter. They were unlucky.

About feudalism, I not sure I understand what you want to said. However, it's sure they don't implement feudalism in North America.
Well as you may or may not know. The first English Colony was Roanoke. It only lasted a little bit, but its considered a colony. That what the Vikings were aiming at. They setteled in a new land and established a settlement. Therefore "colonizing the area."

And I mean feudalism in Europe. Attacks by barbarians caused people to move inside forified areas and work for a lord. The vikings were good at slaugtering defensless villages, but a stone castle, nope. Thus Feudalism becuase eveyone wanted to live!

DM
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

lone ranger wrote:?!?!?!?!, what?
LR
I assume this is your reaction to my post.

The link is to a book that posits an alternate understanding of who were the first Europeans to settle in North America. In so doing, it also re-interprets the movements of the Vikings to Iceland, Greenland, and Vineland (Newfoundland).

And at the moment, this thread is so off-Lego-topic that it'll likely get locked down soon. I was responsible for contributing to another thread (on Canada) that went off-topic too. Looks like I'm at it again. :wink:

If you weren't reacting to my post..... never mind. :)

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

You could look at the Roanoke argument like this:

even though it didn't last long, it was a colony. however, to colonize America, you must have more than one.

Or:

It was considered a colony since the people who founded it (English) kept coming back and settling more land.

But wasn't Roanoke a settlement, not a colony?

PS French is hard to write I am American but am taking French II and I went to France last summer.
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison