Weekly Set Review: Dark Dragon's Den

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

Personally, I really like this set. The fact that it has a dragon, plus cool minifigs, is a real plus. My only problem with it is the price.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
jokkna
Goat Brigade

Post by jokkna »

I love this set it is one of the nicest sets ever when I got it I couldnt get my eyes out of it.

Iceland/Ísland rules :D
VISOR1
Serf

Post by VISOR1 »

A relative picked this up for me in 2001 along with Majisto's workshop. :)
Last edited by VISOR1 on Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legendary_Corsair
Archer

Post by Legendary_Corsair »

Ive never actually got this set but Ive been wanting to get it for a long time,I would but the price now in days.Well I like the way they made the cave and the trees,as well as that it has a dragon.I give it 8.5/10.
Great set I think.
I am.......a....Future Legend
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

I really liked this set back in the day, and it had plenty of good points. No, it was not a perfect castle. It was never supposed to be anything than a mini-mountain. It did the job of conveying a mountain "quest" location quite well, all at an affordable price. It became a springboard for future BURP mountain ideas for me.

But the foremost reason I lusted after it was for the USEFUL black spiral staircase in this first appearance outside Paradisia.

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2046

Twas not the most perfect part, but it twas glorious for MOC trials.

8/10!
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Kozai13
Peasant

Post by Kozai13 »

Really nice set. It's very playable and has awesome pieces. The design is kinda silly but its good for the pieces. I bought 2 on ebay. Overall I give it a 9/10.
Anubisconq
Bailiff

Post by Anubisconq »

Hey Count,

Just as an FYI, the black staircase comes in THIS as well.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Anubisconq wrote:Hey Count,

Just as an FYI, the black staircase comes in THIS as well.
I know... I sucked up 20 of them at KB and a LEGOLAND tent sale when they went down to clearance. 8)
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Anubisconq
Bailiff

Post by Anubisconq »

Aww, you guys are so hard on the rocks! When used correctly, they can add realism to a MOC.

Anyway, I think this started the downfall of castle. Lego decided, "Hey, we can lower our brick count by using big chunky pieces! That means we'll save money!"

Yeah, maybe. I don't think this is a very good set at all. And that "secret" door is just pathetic.
Bandit
Laborer

Re:

Post by Bandit »

Anubisconq wrote:Aww, you guys are so hard on the rocks! When used correctly, they can add realism to a MOC.

Anyway, I think this started the downfall of castle. Lego decided, "Hey, we can lower our brick count by using big chunky pieces! That means we'll save money!"

Yeah, maybe. I don't think this is a very good set at all. And that "secret" door is just pathetic.
True, true about the burp-induced downfall of Lego,... but as a standalone Dragon's Den not being compared to other castles, this set actually plays nicely. It is made of burps (bad) but is a good dragon cave (good) it does what it was meant to do- store dragons (good) and it has good minifigures (very good).
Question: Why do we drive in PARKways and park in DRIVEways?
domboy
Freeman

Re: Weekly Set Review: Dark Dragon's Den

Post by domboy »

I for one really like Dark Dragon's Den, but then I might be biased (last castle Lego I got as a kid). I think it makes good use of the rock pieces, and those pieces are probably the reason I could afford it at all (I didn't have a whole lot of $$ back then). I really like the stairs going to the Wizard's tower on top, and I like all the greenery included as well. As others have said, it's not supposed to be a castle, and I never thought to compare it to one. But I think it makes a really good mountain hideout/dragon cave.
J_MAN
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by J_MAN »

This was my first real castle. :D Even though this set has a lot of BURPs I still like it. The den is a cool place to keep the dragon, you get some cool flags, and I really like the Dragon Master helmets. I wish the set came with more mini-figs though. :( Overall I give this set a 7.5/10.
friskywhiskers
Landlord

Re:

Post by friskywhiskers »

lemon_squeezer2 wrote:
Aaron J. Muhal: "When Lego castle hit rock bottom...."
Ohh, I wouldn't say that :D

Well,this certainatly isn't the prettiest castle I've ever seen, but its preety nice overall. I actually like burps, lately I've been trying to expiriment with them as a foundation for a castle. As for people who say it's ugly, I think they are missing the point. This is not really a "castle", but rather a portion of a mountain with a cave in it. It erves its purpose and if you can find it at a discount, its a good deal.

I agree. If it would have meant to have been a fortress, The BURPs Indeed would be bad thing, but it's not. It's meant to be a mountain with a cave that has been transformed into a prison for a dragon and It serves that effect quite well. If the walls would have been....walls The set would have to have been called Dark Dragon's Fortress. I agree that the rock formations could have had more individual gray pieces, but come on......when does lego ever do that?

Rock formations aside, The minifigures in this set are awesome. I also like the way the tower Juts out of the mountain side. The gate would have been better if It was a porticulles with a winch, like 7947, but if my knowledge is correct. they didn't have that peice back then. Over all it was a great set and i wish could have purchased it.
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Honestly, I don't remember whether or not I purchased this set. It's a decent set for the figures and Dragon, the other pieces are ok for parts. 7/10
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
theboywarrior
Steward

Post by theboywarrior »

Isn't bringing up old posts rather frowned on??? :tasty:
It's a nice set in my opinion, the minis are extraordinary. the amount of BURPS could be reduced, but hey, that was the nineties. :twisted:

oh wait, im from the nineties :o
Some folk we never forget
Some kind we never forgive
Haven’t seen the back of us yet
We’ll fight as long as we live

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... tizen2.bmp[/img]