Why you like Castle

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Magnus
Artisan

why I'm a castlehead

Post by Magnus »

I've always been interested in history, patricuarly military history, and have always found the middle ages in Europe particularly intriging.

I find that building castles challenges me but is also something I am pretty good at. I also build in other catagories, especially military, but with castles I find I am not so tied to the way things "should" look. I can make a great tank, but I don't think I could make a really good replica of a actual WWII era or modern tank. If I build a castle some some feature that no one has seen before, it is more acceptable, no one is going to come and tell me, "Oh, but castles didn't really have those". I enjoy the sheer epic grandeur of a really big castle MOC, and I like to play with scale to make it all look relatvely realistic, even though a true lego minifig scale catsle woudl have walls 10 studs or more thick and probably over 20 studs high, which is a bigger scale than most of us have time or brick to build in.

Incidently, I don't think that war was really that much more "honorable" back in the day; many of the knights may have have entertained some notion of being warriors of Christ, but that didn't stop them from fighting primarily for monetary gain, slaughtering countless peasants and low born foot-soldiers, and raping and looting their way across Europe for 500 years. We are just more effective at killing each other now. :(
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

Glencaer wrote
Because i feel there was so much potential back then - more community and connection with the earth.

I like the concepts of honor and virtue, things I think we've forgotten now a days.
I'm totally agre with you. People were far more close to earth than today, and there was concepts of honor and virtue. However, Not everybody applied that concepts. That's why there was war.

Today's people are very much individualist.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

I like the buildings. I like the mergence of simplicity and complexity in almost every sphere of life. I like that even kings had cold feet in winter. And I like that it's over. It's past. We can actually "play" these times without doing harm to anybody. Whenever we render bad and evil things from the era of the castles we know: It's nothing that happens NOW. Not with swords and catapults that is...

Bye
Jojo

architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Lenny wrote:
I like massive buildings like castles. I've been to the fort at St.Augustine, which is hardly a castle, and it is really a powerful looking structure.
The Fort (Castillo de San Marcos) at St. Augustine is awesome. I have been there twice :D

http://www.nps.gov/casa/
http://www.nps.gov/casa/home/home.htm

I have always liked historic architecture especially military architecture. This is because I traveled to historic American buildings as a child and read a lot about American and European history and architecture. Like Jojo, I love the buildings. Some are refined and highly detailed while others are strictly utilitarian. I like history and fictional stories as well. Castle has a lot of options to build great buildings and play with them. Creating adventures for your minifigures is half of the fun.

I think the playing with Castle is my draw to it. Other themes like Pirates and Western are great for this as well. Town is nice too but you dont have adventures other than a few robberies or fires now and then :twisted:

Hehe, my first use of the twisted emoticon :shock:

Ben
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Very simple answer. I LOVE History.

Ever since I was a kid I loved history very much. Castles was the only theme available that could fit in that category when I was a kid (al least until 1989 when Pirates arrived). I like Pirates and Western from the very same reason, but I think TLC didn't developed those themes enough and in the right direction. They had nice models at first but those themes fade out very quickly (well Western almost didn't live at all and Pirates started great but didn't continue as well as it started).

As for advantures they combine too much history and present at the same time and I don't like that combination. Also they jump very fast from one location to another.
Mani
Villein

Post by Mani »

Bruce N H wrote:BTW, Mani, could you post pictures of your Tolkien creations, I'd love to see them.
Er, I didn't say Tolkien creations, I said Tolkien-inspired creations. I haven't built anything from Middle Earth (except from a few things from The Hobbit I built many years ago), but I'm planning to do it soon. Maybe something from Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales.
Jedipawn
Artisan

Post by Jedipawn »

Legofreak wrote;
I love castle because ... well.... it's all about castle. Ever since I was a kid I have liked Knights, swords, armor, castles, etc. Anything to do with this stuff I love.
Lego Castle is awesome for the fact that it lets me take some of the stuff in my brain and make it a reality.
Would that the rest of my life were so simple

LF
You hit the nail on the head!! I have always loved the idea of knights and chivelry, honor and courage. The "personal" form of warfare has intreged me also. I think that when you have to look someone in the eye before you kill him it might stop quite a few of the "senseless" murders of late. On the other hand... I suppose you get used to it. One of my first books as a child was David Macaulay's "Castle".
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... 0395257840

I think because of the way this book captured my imagination and my pencil, it followed that my Lego creations would be of the same genra.

Jedipawn
Long, long ago. In a galaxy far, far away... THERE WERE CASTLES!!!!!