Official 2004 Knight's Kingdom Pictures

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
SirCumferance
Laborer

Post by SirCumferance »

SavaTheAggie wrote:We must all remember that the sets are for the kids, and as the LEGO representives have said, if we want better castles, we should build them! After all, that's what the older/more creative kids do. This is what AFOLs do. AFOLs are what keep themes alive.
Thats exactly what I thought. Why complain about these when we can build our own bigger and better castles? And they realy aren't that bad, are they?
I am the queen of France!

... Maker of Castle Crusade

Mail me! kullvox03222@yahoo.com
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

and now that I see the new colors and all, they might add more detail to the outside of a castle,....so I think this all adds detail to my stuff.
That's what I've always said. :P :D Don't mean to be upity but.... :D

Mr. D
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Sorry to post right after my other post, but....I think the new visors look a lot like the classic visors it the Yellow Castle. Do you think that they're a more modern "rendition" of the classic visors?

Mr. D
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I think they could be used for helmets in a 375 Legend. However, I think the larger figures were designed first and then the minifig helmets were based off of these.

It would be cool to remake a 375 Yellow Castle using minifigure parts from the new KK sets

Ben E.
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

A few comments on the official pictures.

In 8777 and 8778, I like the look of blue knight with the grey helmet and white visor much more than I like the look of the knights in the non-prototype pictures we've seen. The new visor helmets the real sets look bulky and dumb. I also don't like the two-color brown parts in 8778, and I hope they are not in the final set.

In 8779, it appears as if the colored bricks in front of the king can be rotated, possibly to show the winner of each joust in a best of three series. Also, the large wall section beneath the king sheds some light on what parts were used for the walls in 8780.

8780 still looks like a good set for parts. Unfortunately, the green knight's helmet no longer appears to be with the old style visor, but it's hard to tell in the picture.

8781 - nothing new to say.

Also, in the harry potter sets, 4757 looks quite good. I also really like the new Hagrid's Hut.

Edit:
For a closer look at some of this stuff:
http://festum.de/1000steine/myimages/album91
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

For a closer look at some of this stuff:
http://festum.de/1000steine/myimages/album91
I hope the scorpion soldier is available in a poli bag set! I like that new helm! :D
Troy T. Moore
SirCumferance
Laborer

Post by SirCumferance »

Holy bleep! Where were these pictures taken?
I am the queen of France!

... Maker of Castle Crusade

Mail me! kullvox03222@yahoo.com
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

SirCumferance wrote:
SavaTheAggie wrote:We must all remember that the sets are for the kids, and as the LEGO representives have said, if we want better castles, we should build them! After all, that's what the older/more creative kids do. This is what AFOLs do. AFOLs are what keep themes alive.
Thats exactly what I thought. Why complain about these when we can build our own bigger and better castles? And they realy aren't that bad, are they?
I agree. But it would be easier to make better and bigger castle with better castle sets. In order to get a decent village you must buy from 3 themes!

The new castle is nice for soldiers, weapons, and castle stuff (turrets, portcullis, flags, etc.)

The new Harry Potter is good for villages (doors, windows, house accessories, etc.)

And Star Wars will give us villagers using those Jedi torsos.

Not to mention purchasing from LEGO S@H, Bricklink, Pick-a-Brick, ebay, etc. to get basic bricks to complet the mocs.

Its a scam! in the 80's you could buy the sets and have a decent castle world. Now we need lots of money to do it!

Bye,

DM
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

the question is, with inferior retail sets, will kids stick around long enough to develope into serious castle builders?
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

SirCumferance wrote:Holy bleep! Where were these pictures taken?
The pictures were taken at a toy fair. There were also pictures of a bunch of other things like Harry Potter, Ferrari, Designer, Technic, etc.

Anyway, one thing I noticed is that the packaging is actually very attractive. I believe these new sets could be placed next to Megabloks Dragons sets and still look appealing to children. The new helmet visors suck.

I think the new Harry Potter line is better than the Knight's Kingdom stuff.
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

the question is, with inferior retail sets, will kids stick around long enough to develope into serious castle builders?
I will! Remember, I've only made 1 Castle MOC and I'm 15. I'll stick around Ebay and Bricklink buying old sets untill I can make the MOCs and armys I'd like to, and I'll stick around LEGO website waiting and hoping.....

Mr. D
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

good to hear! an the next generation is growing up well
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

The main reason to complain about these sets is not that they are poorly designed, that is pretty much a given. We haven't seen a decent set in almost 10 years.

The biggest problem with these sets is that as part resources, they are a little light on the parts needed for MOC's. Where's the bricks? That is the problem, that has always been the problem. Sure you can tell AFOL's to build your own castles, but where are they to get the bricks to build them?

Bricklink, S@H and if you are very lucky, PAB

Many people still do not buy online, many likely never will. Pick-a-Brick stores are few and far between and for those of us living in the great white north(and many other parts of the world), there are none.

Where is the average person to buy bricks, doors, windows and roof tiles to build the MOCs they dream about? The average person doesn't have $250 - $5000 to spend at retail to buy enough sets to accumulate the brick to build a decent castle. And this applies to many themes, not just castle.

These are the potential AFOL's who give up and turn their backs on what could have been a great hobby. This is why sales have dropped off, disenchanted fans, buy their kids video games and action figures instead of Lego. Why waste money/time on an unfulfilling habit? TLC needs to realize that the general buying public is smarter than they look. High prices and poorly designed/relatively useless sets scream don't buy me. I can't tell you how many people I hear say I'd buy Lego, but you just don't get that much for your money. Those are the mommies buying the Megabloks junk instead, they don't think about better plastic/error allowances. They see price and how neat the set looks.

So go ahead TLC tell the AFOL's to built their own creations if they don't like the sets, but remember we are a good indicator what parents will be saying when they see these sets on the shelf.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
caesar2164
Villein

new KK2

Post by caesar2164 »

the only thing i think is worth getting in these new sets, (not be bad or anyhing) I think, is the new black helmet from the scorpion guy.

thats my opinion
Now where did I put that Brick separator?

Caesar2164

My Homepage:
www.geocities.com/caesar2164/index.html
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Sir_Marcellus, maybe if you wait and keep checking Ebay and Bricklink, you might be able to assemble enough peices from different lots to make Black Knight's Castle....

Mr. D