Review: Knight's Kingdom Big Castle

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Review: Knight's Kingdom Big Castle

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

Review of the big Knight’s Kingdom castle judging by the new picture. It’s BEAUTIFUL! It is extremely realistic, the only colors on the castle are grey, silver, with some blue trim and a hint of gold. It has outer walls and a nice keep! The new visors are awesome. Of the four good knights, the green knight is the best, HE LOOKS AWESOME!!!!! The red knight is the next best. The purple one is OK, at least it is dark purple so it doesn’t yell “flaming!” The light blue is still . . . kinda dumb.

Now on to the rest of the castle. I’ll start with the outer walls, which I love because they are close enough to the castle to make it look fortified, but they’re still seperate.. The gatehouse is well-built, it’s really cool how it actually looks like a gatehouse. The walls have four sweet-looking towers. They look sturdy, too.

The actual keep rocks, it contains a basement level, a main floor, a throne room, and a tall tower. Even the flags aren’t that bad! The castle itself just looks very medieval, very powerful, yet not evil. In fact, I’d probably say ONE OF the coolest LEGO castle I’ve seen! I’ll review the small castle next.

PS don’t think I’m a heretic I love the old castles, too.

:EDIT: Well, I like it less now(notice a change in the earlier part of the post) after seeing bigger pics because the gatehouse is not even connected to the castle!
Last edited by Sir_Marcellus on Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Notice that the capstones on the crennelations are light grey and not blue as they appeared in some earlier images.
Troy T. Moore
Paco
Serf

Post by Paco »

Well, yeh it does look good, but the keep is "open." It's too Harry Potter like for me. With a bit of modding you could get this castle looking good, I guess it's just too airy at the moment for my likings.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Notice that the capstones on the crennelations are light grey and not blue as they appeared in some earlier images.
OK so I was mistaken, the earlier images show them as lt grey also! I was trying oh so hard to be posotive :roll:

I don't like the tower top pieces, I already have a bunch I never use. It will be more worthwhile to buy multiples of these as compared to the HP sets as it pertains to minifigs. I do not like the flesh colour, nor the dk grey of the figs themselves in the HP sets.

BTW, where is the "Shrieking Shack"? It was the only one that I really liked. Although the new Hogwart's has many possibilities, but with the minifigs...... :x
Troy T. Moore
Jojo
Master

Re: Review: Knight's Kingdom Big Castle

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Sir_Marcellus wrote:Review of the big Knight’s Kingdom castle judging by the new picture. It’s BEAUTIFUL! It is extremely realistic, the only colors on the castle are grey, silver, with some blue trim and a hint of gold. It has outer walls and a nice keep! The new visors are awesome. Of the four good knights, the green knight is the best, HE LOOKS AWESOME!!!!! The red knight is the next best. The purple one is OK, at least it is dark purple so it doesn’t yell “flaming!” The light blue is still . . . kinda dumb.

Now on to the rest of the castle. I’ll start with the outer walls, which I love because they are close enough to the castle to make it look fortified, but they’re still seperate.. The gatehouse is well-built, it’s really cool how it actually looks like a gatehouse. The walls have four sweet-looking towers. They look sturdy, too.

The actual keep rocks, it contains a basement level, a main floor, a throne room, and a tall tower. Even the flags aren’t that bad! The castle itself just looks very medieval, very powerful, yet not evil. In fact, I’d probably say the coolest LEGO castle I’ve seen! I’ll review the small castle next.

Hm. Are you an European kid, or are you just kidding? What do you call an "extremely realistic" castle?
Don't get me wrong. It's nice that you like the set and I wish you fun with it. Still....

Bye
Jojo

Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

JoJo– what I mean by realistic is that it has outer walls and a keep inside of those walls. I am American, alas, but I did visit France last summer and saw some castles there, and my all-time ambition is to go to England. The knights in the castles aren’t realistic, just the design. Remember King Leo’s castle? This is more realistic than that.

The green one will be useful for Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, the others I’ll find some use to, replace the banners, and make my Black Falcons take control of this castle.

Troy– the Shrieking Shack was a building in the village of Hogsmeade, it looks good. Where did you see the new Hogwarts.
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

Luckily, this looks like it only contains three of the Knight’s Kingdom I tower pieces. King Leo’s castle contained six. You do have to admit, this is better than Leo’s. Plus, the castle tower pieces look like their windows are bigger so you can fit window wire pieces in, so maybe, JUST MAYBE, the inside of these tower pieces has studs instead of being flat! I hope . . . .

Unlike Leo’s castle, this has places to put more knights, it’s not made up of towers just for show like Leo’s, it looks more realistic, and the keep is not just a huge three-walled throne room!

JoJo, what would my being European or not have to do with anything, out of curiosity? I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m just asking.

BTW, the reason I’m comparing it to Leo’s castle is that I’m fifteen (well, close enough) years old, and the only LARGE castle set that was out that I had money for was Leo’s, but I bought the BFF instead, because Leo’s looked like crap!
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

I don't care for the Great Pyramidal Breezeway Keep, but it does look like an attempt was made to put four actual towers at the corners. which is a step (back) in the right direction.

But yeah, I bet the 5 knights in the castle are so scared of the two guys attacking.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Sir_Marcellus wrote:JoJo, what would my being European or not have to do with anything, out of curiosity? I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m just asking.
Hehe! I asked jokingly because you obvioulsy like the new castle and figs and yesterday Wlister suspected only some European kids (around Billund/DK) might have been fond of this style of castles and figs so that TLC decided to make them...

(And no, I was not really offended by Will's statement, and yes, I was kidding when I was tossing the gauntlet towards him.)

Bye
Jojo

timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

I feel the gate and walls are rather nice looking. i love the lbue trim. My only problem is that there is no solid gate.

the keep i do not like (though). WAY too airy.

still an improvement.
jeff_o_rama
Laborer

Re: Review: Knight's Kingdom Big Castle

Post by jeff_o_rama »

Sir_Marcellus wrote:Review of the big Knight’s Kingdom castle judging by the new picture. It’s BEAUTIFUL! It is extremely realistic, the only colors on the castle are grey, silver, with some blue trim and a hint of gold. It has outer walls and a nice keep! The new visors are awesome. Of the four good knights, the green knight is the best, HE LOOKS AWESOME!!!!! The red knight is the next best. The purple one is OK, at least it is dark purple so it doesn’t yell “flaming!” The light blue is still . . . kinda dumb.

The actual keep rocks, it contains a basement level, a main floor, a throne room, and a tall tower. Even the flags aren’t that bad! The castle itself just looks very medieval, very powerful, yet not evil. In fact, I’d probably say the coolest LEGO castle I’ve seen! I’ll review the small castle next.

Please tell me you are being sarcastic.

-Jeff
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Jojo wrote:Hello!
Sir_Marcellus wrote:JoJo, what would my being European or not have to do with anything, out of curiosity? I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m just asking.
Hehe! I asked jokingly because you obvioulsy like the new castle and figs and yesterday Wlister suspected only some European kids (around Billund/DK) might have been fond of this style of castles and figs so that TLC decided to make them...

(And no, I was not really offended by Will's statement, and yes, I was kidding when I was tossing the gauntlet towards him.)

Bye
Jojo

Jojo, I may be wrong but I think he said that because LEGO is based out of Europe, so it would be more practical to survey kids there on the new sets.

DM
coyote
Peasant

Post by coyote »

Jojo, I may be wrong but I think he said that because LEGO is based out of Europe, so it would be more practical to survey kids there on the new sets.

DM

Maybe it would be practical.

But for instance there's a big deal with felt "americanization" of sets such as World City (e.g. police cars in US colours) which lead to the belief the focus group of TLC lies in the US rather than in Europe.

An often made claim by TLC is that the USA are their biggest market when asked "Why them but not us?".

Therefore we feel(!) that product design and marketing are done primary for the US.

As a result the point "European children picked those castles/colours/..." sounds a little bit strange to our ears.

Quite funny Americans think of TLC as an European company and we think of TLC as an American company in the meantime.

Welcome to the Global Village!
When in doubt empty the magazine.
Never share a foxhole with someone braver then you are.
If you're short of everything except the enemy, you're in combat.
Don't look conspicuous, it draws fire.
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

I see, Jojo! I saw that topic, but the thought didn't occur to me!

No sarcasm, this isn't a bad set. I was a little overenthusiastic after seeing how good the sets look compared to the old pics, though.

Americanization in World City isn't a sign, it just means they're not doing Europe for this one, probably since American big cities are more stereotypically well-known(well, I don't know this, but what're ye gonna do?)
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison