KK Sets: New Wall Piece

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

KK Sets: New Wall Piece

Post by footsteps »

Okay, I've stared at the new pics long enough, and I think I've finally noticed something that I don't think has been highlighted before.

There is a new, large wall-piece, which I'm tentatively labeling "2x8x6 Wall w/ Bay Window". It has 1x2 notches in the top corners, the bottom slopes integrate with the angle of the bay window, and it accommodates the arched window inserts.

It can be found in 8779 under the king, in 8780 forming the walls of the keep, and in 8781 as part of the rear towers.

Originally I had assumed that the bay window piece was a slightly re-worked 3x4x6 wall introduced with the original KK line (an example of this piece is part of 8778). But the latest pictures are a much better quality than we've seen before, so it's easier to make out the form of the new wall piece, particularly the bottom slope pattern.

I know some (or many) will complain that this is a terrible, junior-ized piece, but I think it's one of the more interesting wall pieces that have been introduced in recent times.

So, while the overall designs of the sets are of questionable quality, I believe that many interesting and enjoyable MOCs will develop from the new parts selection.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

I noticed that they're different than the originals, since there is now room for window-wire pieces. Maybe the inside is studded instead of flat now?
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Now that you mention it, I do notice that piece. You might call it juniorizing; you could produce almost the same effect with the KKI window-in-wall piece, a two of the 1x2x5 pieces, and two 2x2 slopes. It wouldn't be able to do quite the same thing, though, because there aren’t any 2x2 slopes with a 45-degree angle on the side. So I think you right; It'll be a nice piece to have a few of.

Mr. D
Stephen
Laborer

Post by Stephen »

footsteps wrote:
Okay, I've stared at the new pics long enough, and I think I've finally noticed something that I don't think has been highlighted before.
I started studying the pictures after your post, foosteps, and it looks like there's a new horse armor piece too. The heads on the wheeled horses in the joust and the knight's horse in the big castle both seem to have a new kind of head covering on the horse.

What's a horse's "helmet" called anyway?

Stephen
coyote
Peasant

Post by coyote »

They are new, you're right.

Babyblue:
http://festum.de/1000steine/myimages/album91/Bild_013

Red:
http://festum.de/1000steine/myimages/album91/Bild_012

These are pictures from the Nürnberg Toy Fair 2004.

And here's the new wall segment:
http://festum.de/1000steine/myimages/album91/Bild_011

You may have a look at the whole album (but don't expect too much: everything in new gray, non-yellow minifigs):
http://festum.de/1000steine/myimages/album91

Thanks to heikoloogi who took these pictures!
When in doubt empty the magazine.
Never share a foxhole with someone braver then you are.
If you're short of everything except the enemy, you're in combat.
Don't look conspicuous, it draws fire.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

What's a horse's "helmet" called anyway?
Its called a shaffron.
Troy T. Moore
Stephen
Laborer

Post by Stephen »

Danke für die Bilder coyote.

Thanks for the info Troy.

Stephen
Jedipawn
Artisan

Post by Jedipawn »

So maybe this theam is not a total wash. I'm wondering if its worth buying the sets, or just bricklinking the pieces...

Jedipawn
Long, long ago. In a galaxy far, far away... THERE WERE CASTLES!!!!!