Weekly Set Review: Forestmen's Hideout

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Forester wrote:
I also wonder why legos has black trees. Just a wonder
Brown on those years wasn't a very common color for bricks. I mean Berrels, Horses, Treasures Chests, Minifigs equipment, even 1x2 brick and 1x2 plate existed in brown by the end of the 80's, however qunitities of bricks in brown those years were not. It was change only in the mid-90's where 6020 and 6079 had even brown corner walls, and other sets had a lot of brown arches.
J_Chartowich
Laborer

Post by J_Chartowich »

this set is very good, a great companion to 'Crusaders Cart'. I like the way that a tree was turned into a base, and the opening in the back is good as well. Nice to see that this set has been reviewed! :)
Josh
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=J_C]About me[/url]
Anubisconq
Bailiff

Post by Anubisconq »

Looks cool! Wish I had it. Nice looking figures and treehouse. The archery target is cool.

P.S. I do not like Lego bows. I got one and cut off the strings and the arrow. It looks better than before!
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Hmm... somehow never got around to this one...

Okay, excellent set! I mean, really, all things Forestmen are excellent, but this set is the epitome of Forestmen excellent: foliage, hideout, target practice, elkhead shields...

Awesome!

Parts: 8/10
Playability: 8.5/10
Figs/Accessories: 9/10
Design (then): 8.5/10
Design (now): 9.5/10
Nostalgia: 8.5/10

Overall Score: 8.67/10
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

Man! I love this set. I own two, recently aquired through other ebay purchases, niether actually just for this set. If I would have known how great of a set this was, I would have tried hard to get one!

The first thing which really impressed me was the little hole into the side of it. It looks like just like a hold in the tree. The 3D look of the set is amaising, and the firsts the set had always bumps it up. More floliage could be good, but it's not terribly lacking either. The weapons included are good, and the design is very stable and apealing.

I have just a couple of problems with it though. First I think that three minifigs wouldhave been the perfect number! (one in each red, blue, and the 'peasant' forestman with a pouch perhaps?) Second I always hated seeing the red flags, and I always replace them with green flags. The blus roof bugs me, but not so bad. The name, like mentioned before, could be better, but 'Hideout' just sounds so cool!

Overal a spectacular set, I reccomend it to anyone. Plus they ussualy don't go for too awful much on ebay, another great 'aspect'.
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
Jameson
Gong Farmer

I don't know why but this set looks just like a watchtower.

Post by Jameson »

I can perfectly imagine Robinhood's hideout in sherwood forest having one of these at each corner.As much as I like this I regretably don't own it :cry: Well my birthday is coming up :wink:
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

A very good set. If you're looking to beef up your Forestmen collection, or just get some good parts in general, this is the perfect solution.

However, the set itself isn't perfect. I'm a bit disappointed that a medium/large set like this only comes with two Forestmen; it feels a bit undermanned. Also, when compared with 6066 it pales somewhat; the design, whilst strong, is not as inspired, and as a set in the Forestmen theme, it is slightly redundant as it's just a smaller 6066. However, this is a brilliant set in its own way, and I think it works.

7/10

PS: This set fits well with the main page; all that Irish green... :lol:
Moroder
Apprentice

Post by Moroder »

Wow, this is my first sight of this set! And I have to say, it's a nice one. It is perfect for the theme; if you want a description of the forestmen, no other set would do so good as this one. I can't rate it, it is a new discovery to me, but it looks really good.
ragnarok
Bailiff

Post by ragnarok »

I own this one and I really love it. It is certainly the most successfully designed 3D sets and goes nice with the River Forest and I find the Elk Head shields quite usefull since I have a lot of forestmen minifigs
fuzzy
Laborer

Post by fuzzy »

beutiful. 10/10
Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces
little darling, it seems like years since its been here
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
and i say its all right
Jim
Apprentice

Post by Jim »

I really like this set. I was out on my own, college degree, new job and an apartment of my own.... I was able to buy a few sets, build them, and leave them assembled!

The black tree was somewhat strange, but the parts went well with the Black Monarch's Castle set. I didn't mind the colorful pieces, as the sheriff's men were not the sharpest weapons on the rack if you know what I mean.

I also like this set because the architecture and building techniques are outstanding, it iss a complete structure, and has many great parts.

Jim
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Jim wrote:I also like this set because the architecture and building techniques are outstanding, it iss a complete structure, and has many great parts.
I agree - it makes for an attractive overall package. I also like the way all of those branches and leaves mix with the little window bay built out of the tree - makes for a very nice look.

I don't have many of these forsetmen guys, so I don't assemble this set often, but it's actually this set (and the king's castle) that brought me out of my dark age... I built them, looked at them a few times throughout the week, and then finally said to myself "thats it, these are too cool not to collect".

For that reason, I always rank this one a bit higher than much larger sets.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

The Forestmen’s Hideout set came out during my dark ages. But when I did finally see it, I instantly fell in love with the forestmen, and their tree-living ways. I eventually bought this set second-hand, and I immensely enjoyed putting it together. I now absolutely love everything to do with forestmen, and I have built a bigger version (only slightly) as a MOC to complement this set. I think also building some black trees with the green foliage in the same nature as this set, would absolutely put this set within its own element. The other great thing about this set, was that there were two forestmen shields provided – which is nice to know that my forestmen were well protected against the other factions. The only bad thing about this set was the lack of minifigs (even an extra peasant would have added to this set immensely).

Overall this set gets a 9/10 (mainly because it is a forestmen set).
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Nice set. One of the good old ones. It has a nice selection of pieces, interesting desgin. Not much else to say, cept that I really wish I had it.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
mrkovach
Apprentice

Re: Weekly Set Review: Forestmen's Hideout

Post by mrkovach »

(drools)
Forestmen, Forestmen!
That pretty much sums it up right there. I think that forestmen were the best faction to exist, and this set would back that up :D
^You should be more concerned with what's written above^