Weekly Set Review: Fireball Catapult

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

A decent set for now-a-days. A large enough piece count, and a catapult that really does work pretty well. If you don't care for historical accuracy, it shines. If you do, it's a dull glimmer.

I purchased 2 on sale for the shadow knight, and the dark tan parts on the red guy. Not too much else to say other than it deffinately could have been better, but also worse too...
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
Lord Felix
Landlord

Post by Lord Felix »

Urgh. The only thing I really like about KKII at all is the Evil helms. They look good, but they arn't worth buying the sets. I'll stick to my brother's old legos and bircklink orders, thank you very much.

lol
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Dandin]Brickshelf[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/8499398@N07/]Flickr[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/candlemusic]My Band: Candle[/url]
Jim
Apprentice

Post by Jim »

Howdy!

This set is pretty good for a KK2 set. The catapult works really well, and getting 2 figs and a horse is nice. I don't like the KK2 knights very much, but at least it's not another Jayko. I'm not sure what I think about the fireball, but the catapult is not mounted on a horse, so thats progress. I hope this one goes on sale at Target, like the Vladek Encounter (they were on sale for about $3USD and I got dozen of them).

Jim
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

I have to say I'm not a fan.

We back again with the BULK wheels I can stand no longer and I can hardly find a good alternate for that set. Beside it's more Technic then System. The only decent intresting piece is the shield. I have one for collection only.
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Not a bad set...overpriced but the set itself is good. I got a few of them. I think Santis is one of the better KK2 knights, so I don't mind several of him (I like his head too). We dont' really need another catapult but I didn't keep it together. Its also the only set in which I have gotten the "new" horses with the deeper noses.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

Hmm, what can I say my diminutive allowance can even buy me that, I miss the good old kk1 mini sets. You could buy any chrome set and axe cart or defense archer with that money! But better than the 2004 catapult improvement.
6.5/10
I am leniet to all lego sets :) gooday to all.
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

This is a nice looking catapult It is one of the better looking war-machines that Lego has made. I would probably even go as far as to say that this is the best KKII set that Lego has made.

Overall it is nice little set.

Rating: 7/10
smegged
Freeman

Post by smegged »

g2 wrote:This is a nice looking catapult It is one of the better looking war-machines that Lego has made. I would probably even go as far as to say that this is the best KKII set that Lego has made.

Overall it is nice little set.

Rating: 7/10
Wow that's some praise. I would have thought that 8877 or BatP would have been most peoples' favourites.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Re: Weekly Set Review: Fireball Catapult

Post by Count Blacktron »

There are two minds about this set. On the one hand it has two Knights, one in plate and the other in light armor, two factions and a horse with a decent selection of parts. On the other hand the plate night is BRIGHT red, the Zwords are awful and the selection of parts is awkward for working into MOC designs (mostly it's those wheel-things). If you came along to LEGO Castle out of the classics, or even had a decent Knights Kingdom 1.0 (King Leo) collection then you probably are going to feel like nothing useful came from this set except the evil knight's helm. If you haven't got much in the way of Castle then this might have been a very nice addition. Personally, having built a KK1 army I was sort of aghast at the thought of those wheels *again* as they were in nearly all KK1sets, and the Zwords horrified me after handling one. Other than that I'm not too unhappy, after all you have to realize at some point that LEGO is not marketing directly to *us* (which I never understood :eyebrows: ).

So while there are a few parts I don't particularly care for in the set, there is quite a bit of value in this little box and the artwork design sells it very well. Being sold side by side with the Viking sets made my head spin when these were released; Castle fun-explosion!

I'm going to give it a modern rating of 7/10 with the only true negatives being the Zword, my own complaint of the wheels and such bright red-ness in the armor. Other than that, pretty darned near hard to dislike. :D
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Colonel Strider
Serf

Post by Colonel Strider »

My little brother got this set and i liked it but that was when i was first liking Castle now i know it's a bad set.
~Strider~
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I do not have it but looks decent for KKII. I am not fond of the JB knights but such is life. The catapult is neat and the SK is always useful!

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Evil Ben
Freeman

Post by Evil Ben »

I got a couple of these. This phase of KKII was distinctly better (to me, anyway) than the original - the jelly beans' heraldry had been redesigned and you got a shadow knight in a small set like this (yay!). The inevitable catapult was one of the better designs (in the sense that, as I recall, it flung the missile a decent distance - not that it actually resembled a real artillery piece :wink: ). While I think I understood the intentions behind the visors in this line, the Santis one was probably my least favourite in shape - although of all the armour colours the red was the least offensive, I suppose. A minor quibble with this set for me was the lack of a lance for Santis - the comedy swords we had to live with at the time, but a mounted knight just looks a bit under-dressed without a lance in my view. But this was still a decent set for the time, with good play value for the size, and even now I don't regret buying it.
gormadoc1
Artisan

Post by gormadoc1 »

I like this set because its nice and simple but they could have done better building the actual catapult.
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

As KK2 sets go, this one is not bad. You get a white horse with a saddle you can use anywhere, a Shadow knight, who is the best KK2 fig). There is also a Santis, who is (IMO) the most useful KK2 good guy out there. Of course, the downside is it has a catapult. Why a catapult? Why?

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

I am not a fan of this set, because the main redeeming factor in my mind is the shadow faction soldier. There isn't really even a catapult, just a lever and a rubber band, which does nothing for me. And a jellybean knight.....yuck.

The horse is always nice though, so with that and the shadow soldier, it's not really that bad for the price. Not one I would buy though.
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.