Weekly Minifig Review: King

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
supernova
Journeyman

Post by supernova »

the king is a decent minifig... his cape is quite rare (though) so i think that's nice
however, its too common a minifig in royal knights/KKI sets, so i (and many other people, i believe) have too many kings :)
~~ Supernova ~~

Good trades with: Chrislad77, kelderic, Strider, Unknown Knight and ZIGGY!
Lawkeeper
Peasant

Post by Lawkeeper »

The cape is a must-have when building an army, and the torso´s pretty good, too.
Horak the Great
Peasant

Post by Horak the Great »

OK, I guess. I had way too many of these from various sets and then I converted into royal archers. Like the minifig head.
Starwars4J
Laborer

Post by Starwars4J »

Personally I liked this fig. Sure, he was a little too colorful, but that crown and cape...<3

A more noble king wouldn't have been a bad thing, though.
wallgorn
Freeman

Post by wallgorn »

I was only able to get King in 6008. He was my first king figure and I wish still had him, his sword, and shield. I have two King Leos, one from 6026 and 6095. I also have King Mathias from 8779. I do wish I had King Mathias' horse with barding and armored headpiece.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

People seem to not remember that this king was actually a Dragon Masters knight. Same head. So was he granted his own lands or did he take them by force?
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Count Blacktron wrote:People seem to not remember that this king was actually a Dragon Masters knight. Same head. So was he granted his own lands or did he take them by force?
Perhaps they were brothers?

- Matt
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Count Blacktron wrote:People seem to not remember that this king was actually a Dragon Masters knight.
Though the beard on this king is red, while it was more like orange on the Dragon Master.
(And I suppose most Forum members here are too young to be able to remember anything from 1993. :-) )

Bye
Jojo, old.
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

(And I suppose most Forum members here are too young to be able to remember anything from 1993. :-) )
Statements like this make me feel old. And I'm not even very old yet. How depressing.

I always liked the King. As a youngster I recall him being my 'hero' character for awhile just because he looked so different from all the other Castle figures of the time. The quartered torso is nice, and the colour scheme works well.

Although the face is not 'bearded.' It's a mustache. Beards go on the chin. I do like that face though - especially with the red hair. Adds some variety. I like a lot of smiley-faces in my sets, but you need faces with character to them every once in awhile.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

this was by far the best looking king type figure lego released.
pwnage
The Shadow Knight
Archer

Post by The Shadow Knight »

I like this king. This king has one of the first bearded faces and one of the best bearded faces. I like all kings, and as a mentioned in another thread King Leo is my favorite minifigure of all!
Lord Felix wrote:I am perticularly fond of the Lion knights, and their king. I remember my brothers and I buying many of the small set that has the king and a horse. (I apologize, I can never remember the name of sets). My only complaint is the crown, it has that... neck protector? I also don't get how to get the capes with only one hole to stay down :oops:
All in all, it is a good figure.
Well, I would bend the cape inward a lot so when you put the cape on a minifigure it will stay down. :wink:
-May your winds be fair !
PunkRockCowboy
Apprentice

Post by PunkRockCowboy »

It's nice that Lego finally came out with a king around this time, but like every other new character they introduced they saturated the market with him *cough* like ghosts *cough*. The other day I realized that somehow I have more Royal Kings than I have Royal Knights and that's kind of messed up... Maybe I converted all chainmail Royal Knights into Black Knights/Monarchs, but even so it's messed up that I have about 4 of these guys and only 3 soldiers.
I like the torso as it can be used for more stuff than just a King, and it's nice to have a cape too, and new faces are always good to have (although I wouldn't over use this one) but I always thought that the Royal Knights were a bit too cartoonish so I prefer both the Chess King and the new Crown Knight King to this one.
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

this is definately the best king figure.
pwnage
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

PunkRockCowboy wrote:It's nice that Lego finally came out with a king around this time, but like every other new character they introduced they saturated the market with him *cough* like ghosts *cough*. The other day I realized that somehow I have more Royal Kings than I have Royal Knights and that's kind of messed up... Maybe I converted all chainmail Royal Knights into Black Knights/Monarchs, but even so it's messed up that I have about 4 of these guys and only 3 soldiers.
I like the torso as it can be used for more stuff than just a King, and it's nice to have a cape too, and new faces are always good to have (although I wouldn't over use this one) but I always thought that the Royal Knights were a bit too cartoonish so I prefer both the Chess King and the new Crown Knight King to this one.
How did you end up with more Royal Kings than knights? He only comes in three sets, two of which have multiple knights. So unless you bought lots of 6008s or the king by himself I don't know you could have ended up with more kings than knights.

- Matt
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

I think he looks like a court jester or juggler. Not really my favorite at all. On the other hand, Lego needs to make a King torso again with it's own unique look.
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...