Weekly Set Review: Crossbow Cart

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Crossbow Cart

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 1712 (1732) Crossbow Cart.

Crossbow Cart, one of the smallest Dragon Master’s sets, was released in 1993. It features a Dragon Master soldier pushing a cart armed with two crossbows, a spear, a sword, and a shield.

the_great_one
Artisan

Post by the_great_one »

This is an awesome little set, for weapons.
The minifig is awesom as well,
4 weapons!!
This is a great set

Nikos
[url=http://www.google.com]Your Greatest Friend[/url]
Mani
Villein

Post by Mani »

Nice set. Always good with weapons. 6, 5/10.
kaloo
Laborer

Post by kaloo »

It would get a 9/10 if it was any pre DM faction. As it is, 8/10, great for the weapons, and, if you like the Dragon Masters, good for the fig.
Lollius has been placed by the side of the road so that all who pass may say 'hello Lollius' - Inscription on roman tomb
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Small, 22 bricks set. Really I don't know what to write about those small sets.

We buy them? sure, cause they cheap and by collecting those small sets we create an army of minifigs - but other then the minifig itself (and maybe the shield) it's really just another useless set.
I don't see how it's fair to rate it comparing to 200 and more bricks set, so I won't.
Linus
Freeman

Post by Linus »

This is a great set. I really like it. I really like the quantity of weapons.
I give it a 8.5/10
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Small, 22 bricks set. Really I don't know what to write about those small sets.

We buy them? sure, cause they cheap and by collecting those small sets we create an army of minifigs - but other then the minifig itself (and maybe the shield) it's really just another useless set.
I don't see how it's fair to rate it comparing to 200 and more bricks set, so I won't.
I agree that it is not fair to rate them compared to larger sets. That being said, I think it is valuable to add feedback on how it compares to small sets of the same scale.

I think that Crossbow Cart is a very nice small seige set. It has useful pieces and accessories that can be used for making other carts and creating an army. It also looks a bit more realistic than later sets that have halberds sticking out in multiple directions (or attached to a flying dragon contraption :roll: ) Plus, this set is affordable and has a lot of playability for the average kid.

Ben
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Hi Ben,
I agree that it is not fair to rate them compared to larger sets. That being said, I think it is valuable to add feedback on how it compares to small sets of the same scale.
OK then. for 1993 I guess it was a great small set cause it included DM minifig and shield and most importent 2 crossbows which were relatively weren't widely spread (the first crossbows were out in 1990) so I guess for a small set 2 crossbows were neat.
This set contained a black spear which is again not uncommon part nowadays but then there was only one other Pirate set (6277 - which was a big set) that included it.
The wheels and the black plates are great for bases of carts. The Plate 1 x 2 with Handles http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=3839b is very usefull if you want to build a sedan chair (it's not an uncommon part tough it's not a very common part in castle).

TLC made again in 1997 almost the same set (6004) with a Fright Knight minifig, this time 2 shields, 2 spears, quiver and 3 crossbow so I guess the new set for weapon inventory is a bit better.

If it was available in cheap cost nowadays I guess I'd buy at least 10 just to enlarge my DM force.

Final grade (as a small set) I guess 7/10.

P.S. Ben, I guess I found what to say about that set after all :)
Croaker
Serf

Post by Croaker »

I think all the mini bags are great . It gives even the people without a lot of money to spend a chance to be a collector. I have an extensive colection of unopened minibags. This one has a good cart and weapon selection. I am not fond of the Dragon Masters figures so that is what keeps me from giving it a higher score (8).
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I have to agree with everyone here, this is a great little tiny set. The weapons and the useful cart pieces made it a worthwhile purchase. Too bad its that DM fig, but on the whole a decent little set. 6/10 back then, 8/10 now. I make the comparison because back then sets were better made and had waaaay better pricing .Today the new castle sets are terrible both in design and price.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

It's a nice small set. Not very accurate, but with with alot of playability. I don't own it. It's a good source of arbalete as webrain said. I'm not a fan of dragons at all, but that is a great set from this period.

8.5/10
coyote
Peasant

Post by coyote »

My first black spaer. Always wondered how the soldier should re-arm the crossbows in a battle ;-)

Compared to later sets of that size, it's better than the Fright Knights or KK1, but I still rate it at 5/10.
When in doubt empty the magazine.
Never share a foxhole with someone braver then you are.
If you're short of everything except the enemy, you're in combat.
Don't look conspicuous, it draws fire.
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

A nice small set for a nice small price, from what's been said so far. Nice for the good, all purpose fig, and very good for the weapons. Oh, also, the wheels would be a plus for me if I were to buy it now. If only.....

8.5/10

mD
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

This set doesn't excite me much. It's OK for the parts and the weapons but nothing more. Well, that DM figure is the most useful of the three types of DM figures.

Those Polybag/cube-box sets never were in the catalogue in Germany, so I wasn't aware those sets existed back then.

Bye
Jojo

coyote
Peasant

Post by coyote »

Those Polybag/cube-box sets never were in the catalogue in Germany, so I wasn't aware those sets existed back then.
Ok, just forgot it ... bought my set in England in 1993. Crazy standing in front of a Woolworth shelf and finding a set noone knows about at home ... and you thought marketing is bad in our days :-(
When in doubt empty the magazine.
Never share a foxhole with someone braver then you are.
If you're short of everything except the enemy, you're in combat.
Don't look conspicuous, it draws fire.