Weekly Set Review: Witch's Windship

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
doodstormer
Bailiff

Post by doodstormer »

I don't know why I like this, maybe I'm just more appreciative of fantasy, i dunno. This set is very neat. imagine replacing the orb with a captain's wheel (like on a ship) and replacing the witch with a soldier. then I'd get a whole fleet of them! i give it a 6/10. not the best, but certainly not horrid.
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

Well, Fright Knights being the reason I even had a dark age, this set will get my two thumbs down. Time went by so slowly as a kid that it felt like an eternity until the new and improved castle sets. And I was quite irate at the new addition. This is the worst of them all, the next being the witch's manor. At least the cart had a horse and the cool new inverted slopes, but this has nothing.
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

Webrain wrote:Weird I haven't review it

hmm well
it was 1997
I didn't have any dragons (none DM sets at all)
I wanted a green dragon
I bought this set
I was happy

but other then that yeah its crap :)
but I don't hate it, just not a big fan of it
Yes, getting a dragon out of this does justify the buy. I really can't think of any other reason to get this set. If you had no dungeon master sets (like you said) the Fright Knights were the last bastion of the old dragons. At least you got one!
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...
natepc
Peasant

Post by natepc »

at the risk of being scoffed, jeered, and probably shamed, I am going to throw my two cents into the pot.

I don't think this set is that bad.

Yes, the pincers are pretty stupid. The dragon, while cool, is a wee bit small for the ship itself. However, it does have some things going for it. It does come with a Willa, which I kind of like. She is a witch, and she looks just like your classic fairy-tale witch, old, ugly and with bad teeth. I can understand being tired of her because she came in so many sets, but this and an army pack were the only Fright Knight sets that I ever had. Therefore, I have only one, and am pleased with it. It also gave my my first crystal ball, black dragon wings, and that large cup thing. Those of you who can't think of something to do with this, for shame! For one, you have a witch. What do witches need? Giant cauldrons! A few little bits here and there, and you can recreate scene after scene from Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain series. It is perfect for creating hordes of deathless warriors!*

In conclusion, yes, it is poorly designed, and as a set is ugly. It has some good aspects though, and while not the best set ever, it certainly doesn't deserve to be called the worst. At least it isn't an airplane.

Nate C^2

*Although I will admit that I just thought of that when I was writing this post. It only took me what, 10 years to think of a use?
Nate PC
------
[url=http://flickr.com/photos/natepc]Flickr[/url]
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

jokkna wrote:Actually it means disgusting or repulsive.
Okay, that makes more sense. Is it a slang term? I'm wondering why InterTran gave that translation, since I simply copied/pasted your word (as I have no idea how to recreate those Icelandic characters from my Anglo keyboard).

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
leaf_of_lire
Reeve

Post by leaf_of_lire »

Oh wow, the first time I saw this set I thought "what is this thing?!". The only good part of this set was the green dragon and Willa's torso and legs. Overall: 1/10.
Coatsy
Laborer

Post by Coatsy »

I bought two of these for the parts. The green dragon was the big draw for me. Also the two halbreds as well. I did not have many at the time of the Fright Knights. The pod in which the witch :wink: rides became a very nifty tower top for me. Sadly I had to recently dissasemble the tower, but I really just scavenged the set for parts.
Herb Coats

"Chimichanga!"
Kozai13
Peasant

Post by Kozai13 »

I don't know why so many of you hate fantasy. I'm all about fantasy. I wouldn't like lego if they didn't have any fantasy. Pure realism gets very boring after awhile...
Matt

Check out my brickshelf account:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Matman13

And my brickset profile:
http://www.brickset.com/profile/default.aspx?user=Matman13
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

Kozai13 wrote:I don't know why so many of you hate fantasy. I'm all about fantasy. I wouldn't like lego if they didn't have any fantasy. Pure realism gets very boring after awhile...
It's not that we hate fantasy. Many of the members are very appreciative of the new fantasy based sets such as the Skeleton Tower and Dwarves' Mine. However, most members see this set as too gaudy and with a very low construction quality.
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

Kozai13 wrote:I don't know why so many of you hate fantasy. I'm all about fantasy. I wouldn't like lego if they didn't have any fantasy. Pure realism gets very boring after awhile...
I love fantasy. I'm three hundred pages into writing my own fantasy (oh the joy of it all!) This is not about fantasy. This is about a burp-made castle and horrid designs. It looks like something my kid sister would make. Even when I was three and playing with Lego I could have come up with something better looking than this. But if you like it, I won't harp on you. Each is entitled to their own opinion. But it is not about the fantasy aspect.
jokkna
Goat Brigade

Post by jokkna »

No the word viðbjóður is not a slang word but it came out wrong because the -ur part of the word was changed into (your).
jokkna
Goat Brigade

Post by jokkna »

I see now that every time i try to write some words with u r then it is changed into your.

P.s. collarbone is viðbein
doodstormer
Bailiff

Post by doodstormer »

jokkna wrote:I see now that every time i try to write some words with (you) r then it is changed into your.

P.s. collarbone is viðbein
yes, its very annoying how it does that.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Well, quite a bit of time has passed since my original evaluation of this set, and I have to say, I still like it. :)

I don't like it more or less than I did before, but I do like it. It just plays to the inner kid in me. I can see a horde of Fright Knights in these things, appearing over the mountain horizon and leading a surprise attack on the clueless royal knights! What drama!

And I hadn't thought of the cauldron use - that is very clever.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
dJOLe_sk8
Artisan

Post by dJOLe_sk8 »

[url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/yxVvBJcx/F9-EF6-F3-B-1- ... 46-FFD.jpg[/img][/url]

And now it all makes sense :D

Although super silly, I really enjoyed this set as a kid. Willa always struck me as a perfect classic castle witch and I had loads of fun with fitting different minifigure heads inside of that crystal ball, where they would all eventually turn skeleton - pretty single headed gameplay with a very grim outcome ☠️

Looking back now, I feel the Fright Knights were a bit ahead of their time. Or to confute that - how would they look if they were made anywhere between let’s say 1988-1992? Definitely something to think (read MOC) about.

D