Weekly Set Review: Royal Drawbridge

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I agree with Webrain,

It is agreat set to have in combination with the 6090. I bought a few of these and they were useful parts-wise at the time. Now that I no longer like burps as much as I used to, its not as great parts-wise, but is still head and shoulders better than any of the sets being released this year. I give it a 8.5/10 when it came out and a 10/10 now.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

This was a very cool set. In fact, I kept part of it built for two of my older Castles, which you can see if you look at them.

The only problem I have with this set, as I have with most LEGO sets, is accessibility. How in the heck did those figs get there, aside from the hand of God? ;)

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Anthony wrote:
The only problem I have with this set, as I have with most LEGO sets, is accessibility. How in the heck did those figs get there, aside from the hand of God?
Well what is wrong with the hand of me? :P
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Jojo wrote:
Why does the Dragon Master carry a Black Monarch's shield?
Well I think I can answer it from TLC POV:

1. In 1995 when this set was released, the Black Knights theme were unavailable anymore. I think TLC weren't sure if to kill it completely or to still keep a bit of the flame sparkle a bit longer - maybe even a come back which not came. You can say the same about the 6079 set were there are still 2 DM knights even though the DM theme was killed in 1996. And even more they have the old Black Knight's Shield with them. So maybe they were just fading them off slowly.

2. Or simply many shields that were printed already left to get rid of.
(Come to think of it maybe the entire Dark Forest theme was TLC plot to get rid off all the Forestmen/Wolfpack leftovers and that's why they were so very difficult to find)

On the other hand from the minifigs POV I guess:

With the gone of the Black Knight theme, the DM knights could use their shields which looks almost the same as their own.
(or in other words you can say that the DM simply defeted the Black Knights and theirfore could use their shields, hehe)
AoErat
Villein

Post by AoErat »

Argh, I got no such poster! (I decorate exclusively with LEGO posters, so this is a bit of a let down. ;) )

Anyway, as others have said this set works nicely with the castle (my first real castle, btw ... quite unfortunate for me) of the same faction, fitting with the side drawbridge. I attached an arch support to the rear plate so it would evenly line up.

I found that the swinging bridge didn't always swing too well, unfortunately. There are some nice figures though. I always wondered why the Dragon Master had the big shiny sword - did he steal it?

Not the best set ever - but not too bad. It did, however, hail the end of the "good" castles, in my opinion.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Ah.....

An old Royal Knight set for reviewing...

My favourite theme!!!

Errhrrmm..

Well, anyway. As a Royal Knights fan, I'm admittedly biased in favour of this set. As a secondary Dragon Master fan, I'm glad it came with one of those too, although the inclusion of a Black Knight shield rankled with me even back in 1995 when I first saw the set in those now much-used catalogues...

The design of the set is... adequate. If they had just made the drawbridge solid instead of a big booby-trap, I'd have no complaints, but that in itself is a major one...

I'll agree that without the Royal Knights' Castle (6090), it's a bit of a useless set. On the other hand, I have 6090, so that's not an issue. And the parts are all good (yes, I do use BURPS).

Parts: 8/10
Playability: 8/10
Figs/Accessories: 8.5/10
Design (then): 8/10
Design (now): 8.5/10
Nostalgia: 9.5/10

Overall Score: 8.42/10
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I've always wanted this set... I mean, always. Since I was a little kid saving up my lawnmower money and carwash change, I've tried to get this set. I don't even know why I want it anymore, but I still don't have it! It seems to be more rare than some of the other sets (on say, e-bay), and I swear I'm cursed - I either get sniped or something happens... one time I even won it - but the seller never shipped! :-(

Anyway, it's a nice set, some interesting design - I wish more sets came with a seperate drawbridge - I think it's a cool idea and maybe even more realistic. You get the boat and some figs too...
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

I actually have this set and love it. I was going to show all of you a pic, but I tore it down to build something else. I still have the instructions in mint quality, yet I did have to modify a little bit to save myself pieces.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

What an odd set. In a sense it was both the begining and the end of castle Lego. The begining of the bad, ugly stuff, as that Dragon Master Knight shows. And the end of old. This whole sets design is similar to older sets, and really was the last one to have much resemblence.

I used to always want this set, mainly because my older brother wouldn't let me want the big castle, and because this is the castle I grew up with. This set comes with a decent assortment of figs and pieces. A set a really should get someday.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Ah a great set from my favorite theme :wink:

I was fortunate enough to get the main castle for Christmas and this in a clearance sale from Walmart.

I can't give it a full review because it only stayed in one piece for a week or two, ten some years ago. The drawbridge is a little awkward but I'm fine with it. It came with a great selection of minifigs.(yes, I like Dragon Masters)

I was also wondering about the "jail" but I used it as a storage closet for barrels.

minifigs:10/10
parts:9/10
price:8/10
playbility:10/10

overall: 8/10
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

I actually own this set, and when I purchased it as a kid it was awsome! The only problem I had with it at the time was that the draw-bridge tilted over, and didn't actually rise up like it was supposed to. I had recently purchased the big castle (my first big one) and was estatic to put them together. It was tight fitting my hand in between the towers on it and the big castle, but I was happy. BTW I never used the "prison" as such, but rather as storage for the guards. Maybe a place to sneak some ale or mutton.

It was also involved in my first big set up or display (midieval, of course).

Now I look back see more flaws with it. Like the lack of ladders or stairs, which is strange I didn't notice on this one, but on all the other castle sets. I love the octagonal pillar peices and wish I had more of them. (a bit too steep on bricklink for me) Anyways an alright set for then. Perdy dern good for now.

In Christ, Chris
lord azreal
Goat Brigade

Post by lord azreal »

i always wanted that set when i was younger, the design astonished me, but now i could make a replica wenever i want, i still like it though so i give it a thumbs up :D
If you are reading this it means I have posted! - congratulate your find and remember this day
HenrytheV
Gentleman

Post by HenrytheV »

Ah, the memories. I have always wanted this set. I remember as a kid I would drool over this stuff, but my family never had the money to get it for me. I'd buy it now, except it's a wee bit expensive on Ebay.

HenrytheV
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=HenrytheV]My Bricklink Store[/url]
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

This was my first Royal Knight set and my first skeleton. Its a pretty decent set. Nice to have the little raft (even if it is kind of silly). Four figures and a skeleton is a pretty good number of figure too.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Moroder
Apprentice

Post by Moroder »

A great build, a vast array of very useful pieces for castle-fans, good level of play ability, great number of minifigs,
everything an incredible castle set should have. Congrats, Lego, and thanks for this set. :wink: It deserves a 8.5/10 (one more dragon master/soldier would be cool).