Theme Review: KKI

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I really didn't like this theme. Not really because it was bad, but because it completely lacks the punch and energy that the Golden Age, Dragon Masters, Royal Knights and even Fright Knights (yes, you read that right) had. Everything about KK1 felt pretty half-hearted - the half-empty structures, the tiny amount of figs, and an overall lack of creativity. Also, this is the first line where good and evil are truly defined - whilst some previous factions looked scary and bad, they were only implied to be evil - it was up to you to decide. But Cedric and the Bulls were presented as solid baddies for the good King Leo to defeat, and I think it's a move away from the Classic era.

Finally, I don't like how they ripped off the Royal Knights heraldry.

I would say KK2 is a far superior line. There's a lot more charisma in the way the theme is handled, the big structures are sturdier and more impressive, and there's a higher fig count. Whilst the predefined good and evil theme is there, it has the excuse of being a fantasy line. Also, Vladek with his black armour, large armies and big fortresses is a much darker and more imposing villain than Cedric, who is a common robber who sleeps rough with a small group of other thugs.

What saves this line from damnation is accessories - the wide brimmed helmets are some of the best in Castle. Also, pieces like the decorated glass window and the detailed torsos make for some great possibilities.

But overall, I generally dislike KK1.

- Matt
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

I love this line. It was basically the first one that I really got into, and I still have the main castle. One of the best things about this live it the soldiers. There are plain soldiers with realistic armor and helmets. And they are not special knights. The only problems I have with this line are that the sets weren't designed all that well. So:

9.5/10

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

I think KK1 stinks. There castles looked like random pieces fell from the sky and somehow came together. The people who designed them have about as much talent for building lego castles as a 4-year old. (No offense to anyone please).
I could agree with some of you though. The swords and armor and figs are pretty good. But, I hate the bionicle-like figures.
In a battle, they would give you one or two figs and call it a battle. They were skimpy on just about everything.
Compare that with this.
I hope I don't offend anyone with my review.
KK2 was much better. (EVen though I personally dont like either)

P.I
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
Chrislad77
Foot Soldier

Post by Chrislad77 »

Prince Imdol, I'm not sure if it was intentional, but the picture you posted was of KK2. Regardless it definately shows the value of older lego sets compared to what we get now.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Chrislad77 wrote:Prince Imdol, I'm not sure if it was intentional, but the picture you posted was of KK2. Regardless it definately shows the value of older lego sets compared to what we get now.
I don't think that's a fair comparison at all - the KK2 set is medium-sized at best, whilst the Yellow Castle is much bigger and more expensive.

Also, Imdol, you criticize KK1 for 'bionicle-like figures' (a KK2 complaint) and then say that KK2 (which is associated with the Bionicle look) is better. Um...huh?

- Matt
Zacku
Laborer

Post by Zacku »

Sir Kohran wrote:
Chrislad77 wrote:Prince Imdol, I'm not sure if it was intentional, but the picture you posted was of KK2. Regardless it definately shows the value of older lego sets compared to what we get now.
I don't think that's a fair comparison at all - the KK2 set is medium-sized at best, whilst the Yellow Castle is much bigger and more expensive.

Also, Imdol, you criticize KK1 for 'bionicle-like figures' (a KK2 complaint) and then say that KK2 (which is associated with the Bionicle look) is better. Um...huh?

- Matt
I think he's confusing KK2-1 and KK1...
Your ad here.
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

Oops!! My bad, I had no idea that was a KK2 set. I guess I am not as big fan of KK2. I looked at KK1 stuff, and it is HORRIBLE!
Thanks for the clear up.

P.I
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Minifigure-wise, KK1 has one of the best design for minifigs. King Leo's soldiers look awesome, yet can be used as generic troops.

The Bulls, for me, have plenty of uses as either mercenaries, or barbarians or some knightly faction that has a fascination with Bulls.

In my MOC-world, I use the Bulls as a Southeast Asian faction. Since we use domesticated "carabao" or water-buffalos as our beasts of burden.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

I liked this line, and actually it was among the first ones where I really bought quite a lot of my own (instead of just getting Christmas presents etc). The set design is quite bad I can see now, but I enjoyed it quite a bit back then..

The figs on the other hand are as some have mentioned about the best ones ever and since I concentrate more on figs than bricks I guess this is one of my favourite lines.
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Just to avoid confustication I thought it'd be nice to make a little linky to that *other* website's picture database for easy reference on Knights Kingdom (original recipe).

This is the group for KK1, released 2000, with a backup Castle for 2006 from LEGO (unfortunately with stickers):
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?qc=lego/sy ... htskingdom

For me the 3739 Blacksmith Shop of 2002 falls under the same KK1 due to parts, coloration, minifigures and box artwork:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/3739.

Side by side the sets may not be stellar by our standards, but they have a lot of good bits.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
forseti
Villein

Post by forseti »

I dont own any of these sets not have I ever taken the effort to check out at least the pictures. They look less shabby than I thought though.
Chrislad77
Foot Soldier

Post by Chrislad77 »

I think they may have gotten the bull theme from the ancient Minions and all their bull art.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

After reading some of the posts on here, I was thinknig that it might be benificial to put a picture on the opening post of one of the main sets from that line, that way there is a picture at the beginning of each set review. It might save some confusion.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

kelderic wrote:After reading some of the posts on here, I was thinknig that it might be benificial to put a picture on the opening post of one of the main sets from that line, that way there is a picture at the beginning of each set review. It might save some confusion.

Kelderic
This is a good idea. I tried it originally, but was a bit confused as to how it's done. Unfortunately, the theme reviews are almost done with only one more theme to do (Fright Knights), so it wouldn't be too effective to do this just for one. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

My favorite castle minifigs and a few extra bricks ta boot. This line was great for one set: The defense archer! At $2 a pop, this was an ideal way to build armies with a great torso print, and those oh so awesome Kettle helms. The Queen is also the best female minifig bar-none, and the rest of the figs are also quite appealing.

Really, its too bad that the sets weren't as wonderful as the figs. Too many pre-fab bricks, and an insufficient number of basic elements made these sets pretty sub-standard IMO. Of course, there is value to be had in even the worst set. I actually picked up several KKI sets, and in retrospect, I wish I had picked up more. I won't make that mistake this year.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]