Colossal Castle Contest 17

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Re: Colossal Castle Contest 17

Post by architect »

As Bluesecrets mentioned, we still need a bit of coding to happen for the submit an entry page. We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience.

Ben
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Cab wrote:I have two questions regarding the category Epic Duel.

First: This was sort of already answered, but I just want to make sure. Do we have to stick to minifigure scale for this particular category, or can we go larger? I was hoping I could build larger figures so that the focus of the build can truly be the duel, rather than the surroundings...

Second: Is it enough if one of the two combatants wields a weapon with a sharpened metal edge? I was thinking of having a sword-wielder go up against a mage of some sort.
A figure could be fighting a giant perhaps. Larger scale maxifigs or construct a figs likely deserve their own category in a future contest.

No. Both combatants should be using a weapon with a sharpened metal edge. Wizards can use swords too (ie: Gandalf)

Thanks,

Ben
mrcp6d
Bailiff

Post by mrcp6d »

Custom fabric ok for ship sails, dragon wing webs, wagon coverings?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

mrcp6d wrote:Custom fabric ok for ship sails, dragon wing webs, wagon coverings?
Fabric that is like Lego fabric is acceptable. Please pm an admin if you are looking to use a specialty fabric. Thanks.
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

The entry page appears to be up and ready to accept entries. If it does not work, please let us know. I will start approving them probably Christmas evening.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

Bluesecrets wrote:The entry page appears to be up and ready to accept entries. If it does not work, please let us know. I will start approving them probably Christmas evening.
Worked great for me!

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

Yep it is working and I am approving as soon as I see them. I'm checking several times a day.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

I am stepping in with a double post here for a reason. In the past few years I have had to explain this and I think it is a good thing to explain again.

We set a requirement for a white background photo for reasons. First, it speeds up the judging process because every winning entry has to be edited to remove backgrounds before they are announced. A white background helps speed that up tremendously. Secondly, dark pictures do not allow us to see details. You spent all this time building something wondrous for this contest but if we can't see it, how can we judge it appropriately?

Now yes, I know that goes against all of the cool things about putting fancy backgrounds behind to enhance the art of your work. You have five pictures to show us. That is up from the original 3 we allowed you. We removed the size restrictions.

Please don't make not having a white background be the reason your build doesn't get approved. We've had that requirement for at least 3 years now. It should not be a shock or a surprise.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

ranghaal
Gong Farmer

Post by ranghaal »

I have made quite a spectacular Moc that I would like to enter in the misc section.

But to be fair I began building it a few months ago.
I know people have done so before, and the rules do not explicitely state otherwise.

So, ist this acceptable?

And what does the other contestants think? Would you consider this unfair?
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

ranghaal wrote:I have made quite a spectacular Moc that I would like to enter in the misc section.

But to be fair I began building it a few months ago.
I know people have done so before, and the rules do not explicitely state otherwise.

So, ist this acceptable?

And what does the other contestants think? Would you consider this unfair?
To be 100% clear, the rule states that it can not have been seen online before the beginning date of the contest. It has never said that the build can not be done or started before the contest.

Rules exist in a contest because the people running the contest decided that it was the minimum that needed to happen for an entry to be entered. In this specific case, this rule has been in existence since as long as I can remember which was CCC3. It isn't a surprise new rule. It shouldn't be a shock. And while I was not part of making this rule, I am pretty sure that it exists so people do not keep re-entering the same MOC's year after year.

I do not know why this has to lead to a whole entire discussion about fair or unfair. Fair to set the rules, publish them, enforce them and to expect that every single entry meet them.

Here is dictionary.com's definition for fair:
adjective, fair·er, fair·est.
free from bias, dishonesty, or injustice: a fair decision; a fair judge.
legitimately sought, pursued, done, given, etc.; proper under the rules: a fair fight.
No where does that say to bend rules, or to rally other contestants to attempt to gain support.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

Today is January 12th, the last day for this contest. I will do my best to log in as much as I possibly can all day to approve entries. If you are having issues with your account or entering, you can post here, send me a private message here, flickr mail me...have a friend do one of those if your account isn't active. I will do my best to get you approved.

Please remember it locks at midnight eastern standard time because that is where the server is.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

celloguy
Serf

Post by celloguy »

Really sad as I got sick this week and couldn’t finish my build for the contest. Good luck to those who have managed to enter, looking forward to seeing all the builds!
celloguy
Serf

Post by celloguy »

Also sad how few entries there are this year. Wish I could have bulked up the number!
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

I believe there are many factors that caused it. We're working on some ideas to fix it for next year.

But think of it this way, judging should be really quick and easy this year. I hope.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Hey guys,

Long time no see. While, yes, celloguy, the overall number of entries was way down (echoing Blue above, as a community we'll have to work on ways of invigorating participation going forward), I just finished going through and there are some really beautiful entries in this year's contest. IMO the Harvest Building category is the most competitive, as there are several really awesome MOCs vying for top spot there. Everyone should go through the entries there to look at all the cool techniques and the artistry of the creations. But to everyone who participated, thank you for really advancing LEGO castle building and for sharing your inspiring MOCs.

Bruce
[url=http://comicbricks.blogspot.com/]ComicBricks[/url] [url=http://godbricks.blogspot.com/]GodBricks[/url] [url=http://microbricks.blogspot.com/]MicroBricks[/url] [url=http://minilandbricks.blogspot.com/]MinilandBricks[/url] [url=http://scibricks.blogspot.com/]SciBricks[/url] [url=http://vignettebricks.blogspot.com/]VignetteBricks[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/bricktales/]Brick Tales[/url]