Elves

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Rubberchickenknight
Squire

Post by Rubberchickenknight »

"When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins." - Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
The Wolfpack Boss
Freeman

Elves

Post by The Wolfpack Boss »

I have 1, count 'em 1 elf in all of my displays. He's a foreigner, in human lands, but isn't that important.

Anyway, ninja head (the samurai with the headband), he's got a classic long hair piece in red for his hair, and the middle part comes off looking pretty neat.

I can't remember what he's wearing right now ... it might be all black, Emperor's robes with a cloak and quiver, or it might be a classic Forestmen tunic. I really don't remember, but I should take the time to revise him this summer.

I'd say I prefer the Ninja heads. Not that warpaint isn't an awesome idea, I just like them to be a little darker and having a slight slant to the eyes comared to a basic round-eyed standard figure. Basically, because I read Weis and Hickman's Death Gate Cycle before I read LotR, and the idea of tall, slant-eyed, fair haired, total racist high-and-mighty elves stuck with me.
Harbourmaster's Office
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3521/4033675 ... 8cb1_t.jpg[/img]
(More at Flickr: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/8273684@N02/4033675910/[/url])
cracker nate
Peasant

Elves

Post by cracker nate »

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I wasn't going to bring this old topic up, but since someone did anyway, I'll comment.

After a few Bricklink orders, I started growing my elven armies. I took some ideas from wlister for my High Elves, using:
Luke Bodies (torso and legs)
White arms
Yellow Hands
Ninja / Samurai Heads
Black Capes
Chrome Armor
Black Hair, Long grey hair, or chrome helmets
Chrome Greatswords, or trans-spears

And, my old Ranger design was turned into my Wood Elves:
Boba Fett torso
Lt Grey Legs w/ brown hips
Brown Arms
Yellow hands
Padma / Luke / Quigon Heads
Brown Jedi hoods / brown forestmen hats / brown tri-corner
Brown Capes, Quivers
Swords, Spears and Bows

So that's what I came up with. I've also got a growing goblin / hobgoblin army, and hill dwaves (using wlisters design) and mountain dwarves. Someday I'll get a digital camera and start sharing these.
forester3291
Merchant

Re: Elves

Post by forester3291 »

er nate wrote:Wow, thanks for all the replies. I wasn't going to bring this old topic up, but since someone did anyway, I'll comment.

After a few Bricklink orders, I started growing my elven armies. I took some ideas from wlister for my High Elves, using:
Luke Bodies (torso and legs)
White arms
Yellow Hands
Ninja / Samurai Heads
Black Capes
Chrome Armor
Black Hair, Long grey hair, or chrome helmets
Chrome Greatswords, or trans-spears

And, my old Ranger design was turned into my Wood Elves:
Boba Fett torso
Lt Grey Legs w/ brown hips
Brown Arms
Yellow hands
Padma / Luke / Quigon Heads
Brown Jedi hoods / brown forestmen hats / brown tri-corner
Brown Capes, Quivers
Swords, Spears and Bows

So that's what I came up with. I've also got a growing goblin / hobgoblin army, and hill dwaves (using wlisters design) and mountain dwarves. Someday I'll get a digital camera and start sharing these.

Sounds cool C racker nate. I don't have any elves but plan on making them. I did have elves but turned them into my forestmen. As for my orc army I have two a yoda and gamorean guard. I f ant of you know of a Bricklink store that sells yoda,dobby,or those bank goblins from Harry Potter pm me. Thanks

My 200th post :D
Space rocks.
Rubberchickenknight
Squire

elves

cracker nate, that's almost exactly like how make mine. I like using SW heads because they look so serious. Another sword that looks "Elvish" is the black/grey/green ninja sword. I like using ninja/samurai heads because they look so serious
"When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins." - Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

Neat elves.
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Well, I imagine I'll be stepping on a lot of toes here, but so what. Most people wear steel-toed boots around here anyway.

With regards to the Quendi (that is, all of Tolkien's elves), I don't really like using either Ninja or Indian heads, because Tolkien's elves are generally conceived to be beardless, wise, and extraordinarily handsome Caucasians. For this reason, I have generally stuck to Luke/Obi-wan/Anakin faces. (Thranduil, Legolas's father, has a blond beard, for which I like the Qui-gon head, and Cirdan has grey/silver beard, for which like the old Obi-wan, but that's strictly incidental.)

I can't really fault people for using Ninja heads for the Quendi, as I've seen it used fairly well. I just don't like putting the Ninja heads on overload. Also, for what its worth, Lego people can't be divided into Caucasian, African, and Oriental, but rather: yellow, flesh, and brown, which makes the Ninjas the same as any other Castle person, but the printing on the Ninja faces tends to make them look quite Oriental, at least to my mind.

For torsoes, I usually use Forestmen, Ninja, and Jedi torsos, as well any armour-type torsos that look somewhat unusual/nonhuman, such as Jango/Boba Fett, Bib Fortuna, and also like the scale-mail from the Crusaders/Black Knights/Royal Knights, and any KK1 armoured torsos. I'm also very fond of using Captain Panaka and Lobot torsos for higher-ranking elves. I also use custom torsos, so really, anything goes.

For elves with helms, I like use centurions mostly, but also the conical types. I do not like visored helms for elves.

This of course, applies to Tolkien's elves, especially the Noldor, Sindar, and Silvan elves. The Avari are sort of open ground, I actually think Indian faces would look good there. For non-Tolkien elves, whatever you want is fine by me. :D
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

An addition to my earlier comments: elven swords. With regards to Tolkien elves, I'm very opinionated here, and I may will scrunch a few more toes with my thoughts.

Basically, I don't like any of the swords very much for elves, although I think that the chrome broadswords are the best, and I generally like the look. Regular straight swords are good too, especially if in the less common light grey (the old stuff, of course).

Now, I don't like to use ninja swords for the Quendi. Sorry, they just don't jive. For non-Tolkien elves, I have no concerns, ninja swords are great, but in middle-earth, elven-ninja swords contradict the canon. The reason, ninja swords are not straight, but somewhat bent.

In the original version of the 'Fall of Gondolin', published in The Book of Lost Tales, Part II, Tolkien, in describing Lord Egalmoth, says that he, ALONE OF THE ELVES, carried a sword that wasn't straight. While it is possible that Tolkien changed this idea, along with a great many others between then and the publication of LR, there is no indication that he did, and I consider it rather unlikely. To reinforce this perception is the fact that in either the Hobbit or LR, there is/are (a) passage(s) that state that the orcs/goblins carry curved scimitars. It is unlikely that the elves would have a sword design similar to that of their most opposite enemies.

Furthermore, The Lord of the Rings is conceived to be a European mytholo/legendarium, and it is fitting and required therefore, that the heroes and leading races, bear weapons that were customary for Europeans.

In addition, the only actual examples of elven sword-making exibited in LR and the Hobbit are Glamdring, Orcrist, and Sting, all of which are straight. (Anduril/Narsil is ultimately of dwarven origin.)

If anyone is foolish enough to mention Arwen's sword from the movie: I'm sorry, but that just isn't legitimate evidence, at least if you're trying to present Tolkien's elves. Arwen's sword, like the Arwen's role in the scene that it appears in, is an invention of Peter Jackson. It works for the movie, and might even look great, but it isn't a part of Tolkien's design, and Tolkien, like it or not, is the creator of middle-earth. Peter Jackson is just one of its interpreters, and there is no need for other interpreters (such as LEGO Masters) to abide by his creations.

Sorry if I've offended anyone. These are just my views, and I obviously can't enforce them. And it only applies to Tolkien elves anyway. For anyone else's elves, they can do what they want. And it'll probably look great.
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

I agree with Formendacil on this one. Bit it is late at night and I don't feel like adding to what he has said so....I won't
Space rocks.
Rubberchickenknight
Squire

I got more elves:http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=82029 :D
And most ninja heads don't have beards, only shoguns.
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?M=cas050