How many troops fit in your castle?

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Aidan
Foot Soldier

How many troops fit in your castle?

Post by Aidan »

The discussion in my gold post shifted to army sizes with several people having troops numbering in the hundreds if not thousands :shock:

So it occured to me, how many troops can reasonably fit in the larger castles out there?

I have been acquiring troops as I have been building my castle and frankly I have more troops then I can reasonably garrison. I think my castle/palace is fairly large and I am just now furnishing out the rooms. I am trying to decide how much space to devote to housing troops. The realist in me (and my son) will not allow me to put more troops in the castle then I have bunks for :? . Currently I can house about 60. Which is really all the soldiers I want kicking around my palace that I have to feed and house :x .

I suppose I could assume the remaining footmen live outside the castle walls and come in when we are under siege, but really no more then 160 could fit on the walls and in the courtyard without hitting each other with every swing of the sword :x .
Let them come...
They will break upon this fortress like water on rock!
---King Theoden

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=the6717
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Nope... too many! :D Although I believe my city-state can become big enough to hold most or the whole Kahilawayan army.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Daimyo
Squire

Post by Daimyo »

Oh i don't know... My castles are pretty small and can only hold up to 32 guys. However, my fortified city, which is quite huge, can hold at least a hundred or so. I have overall about 1,000 warriors, pretty small actually.
"Alright Kif, let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do"
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Lions Rock in its last and sadly final incarnation had beds for 150 soldiers and 30 elite generals and nobility. It also had serving quarters for 20 maids, cooks, gong farmers etc... not completely realistic, but it worked in a pinch. The soldiers barracks were pretty crowded though and other common areas inside a castle were given up to house soldiers. The walls could hold roughly 250 soldiers and the yard could hold another 25 horse and some foot. I had two external large barracks that held 50 soldiers each and an inn that could hold 25 soldiers in the common sleep area. Not nearly enough for the 1800 or so soldiers I have. I have over 125 peasants and nobility and only have housing for about a third of them so there is a point where having so many figs can escape reality. But they are fun to line up all in formation once in a while. I may try that next weekend.

Will

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I have a medium sized keep that (when finished) could probably house somewhere along the lines of 30 men (though they'd be somewhat crowded). I don't have a whole lot of figs so I haven't really tested it, though.
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

My castles tend to be rather small, owing to the size of my collection. The largest one could hold about 10-12 men.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
Cow1302
Serf

castles

Post by Cow1302 »

The only castle I have built right now is Helm's Deep. It has room on the walls for about 40 fully-armed men.