I is for...

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Brilliant work again. Lego definately needs you to do the next in the MOC series. :D I love the tri-fold technique, and the stairs descending into the tavern area really lends an air of authenticity to the whole model. The armor in the alcove is kool, as well. I love this one, great job! Can't wait for the next one.

Cm2
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

James,

Another great creation. The color scheme on this one is great. I also like the asymmetry of having the chimney go thru both floors on one side and only down to the second floor on the other.

I, too, would gladly pay for a CD of the building instructions for your alphabet project. Whether you saw this as a money-making scheme or just wanted some $ to offset the cost of the CDs, postage, etc.

Bruce
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Amazing again! I like the way it opens up very much. The steps coming down on the inside are great!
This is my new favorite Brink creation
Here, here!
jb
Freeman

Post by jb »

Thank you for all of the kind comments!
So when are you going to just start giving us the plans for these? like on a little cd?
Hmmm... I had thought about it, but wasn't sure if anyone would be interested. Instructions are a ton of work, even for a small model. You can probably make a pretty close copy of the models from the pictures on Brickshelf, and if you are confused about something you can always email me. I'd like to see someone else make some five wide window buildings!
Where did you gety so many 1x2 inverted slope bricks?

Your wallet might never forgive me for this, but: www.bricklink.com

James
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Very nice work. The sand blue is great. This proves the old Tudor style has lots of creativity left in it. I guessed Inn was next, but I never guessed you'd up the ante like this. well done!
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

Great job JB. keep up the good work :D

LR
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Very Nicely done James,

I'm gone a week and I left this post for the last. I must say that I really plan on stealing this design. Of course I will definitely make it bigger and not in blue, so I can say "steal?! What! Not me..." :wink: I really like the wine jug too. The way the Inn splits is great and of the features on this MOC, the split will defitely become a "borrowed" idea. Very nice work,

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

This is a great model. The exterior especially is fantastic looking.

Since everyone else has said such nice things, I think I'll offer up one criticism. :roll: I don't like the stair placement to get from the ground floor to the second floor. Most buildings would have stairs go up from the landing by the entrance. This way people wouldn't have to climb the outer stairs, go down the stairs inside, then climb more stairs to go up. Did the way the building opens make this type of design difficult?
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Another masterpiece. I look forward to each letter addition. Great inspiration pieces. I like that off blue shade. Which set did it come in?

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
jb
Freeman

Post by jb »

Hi,
I don't like the stair placement to get from the ground floor to the second floor. Most buildings would have stairs go up from the landing by the entrance. This way people wouldn't have to climb the outer stairs, go down the stairs inside, then climb more stairs to go up. Did the way the building opens make this type of design difficult?
That's a very good point. I originally wanted to do the stairs like you described. There are a few problems with doing that (though), at least with the way the building opens up. The stairs would have to be placed on the bottom landing and extend toward the back. They would have to float when the building opened, plus there would be no landing at the top of the stairs. I preferred the current solution to this. I could have opened the building differently, but I thought that this way made it easiest to access the interior.

I just got the Inn and put it in front of me. Perhaps I could raise the entire lower right hand side to the height of the lower landing so that a step down wouldn't have been necessary with the current layout. That would probably turn out pretty well with a modification to the fireplace.

Thanks for the feedback!
I like that off blue shade. Which set did it come in?
The color is medium blue and I bought the pieces on Bricklink. It is the same color as the car in the Harry Potter Privet Drive set.

James
moom
Freeman

Post by moom »

James, this inn of yours is a very good tutorial example for persons attempting the "build it yourself" Tudor style. To them I would say:

Please note the jump of the horizontal beams around the windows, the fact that one wing of the building is slightly longer that the opposite wing, and the irregular spaced placement of the windows at te backside (on both floors). These all make the building look much more interesting.

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.
TheCastle
Peasant

nice

Post by TheCastle »

i love everything you have done so far yet again Great Job