Interior allignment poll

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations

When creating buildings that open up to show interiors, why bother to make the interior details line up when closed?

I'm driven by realism. Unalligned details would bug me.
25%
Building challenge/satisfaction of a job well done.
25%
Out of courtesy to my minifigs. Just because I can't access the interior when closed doesn't mean they can't.
44%
I can too access the interior when closed, by peeking thru windows and doors.
3%
I don't bother to line things up inside.
No votes
My buildings don't open up / have no interiors.
3%

Total votes: 36

Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Interior allignment poll

Post by Bruce N H »

Hi all,

James' great inn raised for me a question that I've had before about MOCs of buildings that open up to reveal interior details. Quite often we spend a lot of time making sure that the interior details line up properly when closed, even though, in a sense, it doesn't really matter. We can't really see how they line up when the MOC is closed. So, why do we do it? See the poll question above.

Bruce
jb
Freeman

Post by jb »

It's all about what goes on when the building is closed :) Did you see Toy Story?

James
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

jb wrote:It's all about what goes on when the building is closed :) Did you see Toy Story?

James
Ditto. Hehehehe Toy story :lol:
Space rocks.
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

Definately for the figs inside! I mean, would you like to be a fig but be unable to get up the staircase because the builder couldn't bother to line it up? :lol:

I like to make everything line up because it takes some thinking and can be fun to do. Although I did one thing that had a staircase that had to split, that didn't work too well when you were trying to close the model because it tended to hit closing where it shouldn't.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

ok - i am going to go with the toy story theory... i cant help it.
My minifigs just seem to like it better that way.
although the dinosaurs can't get up the stairs.. :(

freak
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Silly, dinosaurs didn't live it castle times, unlike cowboys, Potato Heads and Space Rangers. :D I've always wondered what would happen if I had to get around inside my MOCs. The challenge also appeals to me.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

hey - I forgot to add something. ever since I was about seven I always wondered what would happen if I got shrunk down to the size of a minifig... too much sid and Marty Kroft I guess... :oops:
So anyway - I always build with that in the back of my mind.

freak :D
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

I voted "satisfaction of a job well done". I would have chosen the first choice, because it really would bug me if things were malaligned, but I'm not 'driven' by details and accuracy. I don't know...not having things aligned is kinda....well, kinda like taking the easy way out. If you're gonna go to the trouble to build it at all, why not build it so it's the best it can be, and not take shortcuts? :D Oh ya, and the figs would get confused if walls moved 1/2way through the house. :P

Cm2
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

I voted no. 1, but, if I could, I would go with all of the first four. I also used to think about being shrunk to the size of a minifig. :D The first two would especially apply to me.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

And so, my fellow AFOLs: Ask not what your Minifigs can do for you - ask what you can do for your Minifigs. At least line up the interior of their homes for them.

Bye
Jojo

Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Jojo wrote:And so, my fellow AFOLs: Ask not what your Minifigs can do for you - ask what you can do for your Minifigs. At least line up the interior of their homes for them.
You know, last I checked, my minifigs dont do jack for me.

Hehehehe.

I accept it as a building challenge, however, as I display more, I get a bit looser in my personal standards about stuff like that. Yer average viewer is more amazed that there is an interior, than if the interior matches up.

But then again, I do look thru the windows into my shops to see the figs inside.

However, my big thing now is not being so rough on myself for not providing ladders, etc. is piece usage and ease. Both Eaglestone and Leonhart's home don't have ladders to the 2nd floor. But feh, i do this for the fun of it.

And don't worry, im not making a habit out of forgetting crucial details ;)

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Skudmunky
Laborer

Post by Skudmunky »

I also used to think about being shrunk to the size of a minifig.
I think that EVERYONE has or should think about shrinking to minifig size and exploring their creations. I know I have... When I was younger I'd make a cool model spaceship or something and then sit and imagine myself at the controls, or standing at the battlements of my castles...

PS: How do you get it to say "Mr. D wrote" instead of "quote"?
[url=http://www.skudfilms.hayden31.com]Skudmunky: the one and only.[/url]