A little something I'm working on...

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

A little something I'm working on...

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Here's a little something I'm working on for a Classic-Castle.com article on Shield designs and stickers.

I?m in the process of re-creating the triangle shield designs, by hand, by drawing over enlarged scans or vectored images.

Though these pictures are very large in dimentions, they're designed to be printed out at 500 dpi, which will make them print out at just about the right size, and at a high detail.

Here is the forestmen shield that I'm currently working on. I've left one of the antlers alone so that you can see what I'm working with.

And why would I want to recreate these shields? So I can do cool variations like this alternate Wolf-Pack design which Lenny has named the 'Black Wolves.'

So there ya go.

--Anthony

The Kingdom of Ikros
dookie
Serf

Post by dookie »

Excellent designs. Black Wolves eh, sounds to me that the Black Falcons now have a true rival :D.

BTW, what are these "stickers"? Sounds to me like those stickers Lego provides whenever they don't feel like going through the printing process for a particular brick. If they are that effective and durable as well as cheap I wouldn't mind trying them since decal paper is quite pricey and I'm no good at applying them either.
I like Cup Ramen! What I like even more is the Ramen from the Ichiraku that Iruka Sensei bought me. What I dislike is waiting the three minutes for the Cup Ramen to cook. My hobby is eating lots of Cup Ramen!
- Uzumaki Naruto (Naruto ep. 4)
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

That's a very good idea. The variation on the wolf are very nice. You can make variations on the color like on black falcons (yellow and blue), with Black Wolfs you can have red and green (for suggestion).

They will make nice faction. I hope you'll put picture of your factions.
armothe
Apprentice

Post by armothe »

I made a whole bunch a few years ago. Tracing them in Adobe Illustrator is definitely the way to go.

-A
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

Great !

I like also your custom green faction. They have a very nie look. It's like if Lego has made them. They are visually compatible.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

armothe -
those are fantastic. I really like the coloration! You have inspired me again!
armothe
Apprentice

Post by armothe »

Thanks guys.

Feel free to use the designs. Just save the images, then edit them so they are 300 resolution instead of 72 (keep file size aspect ratio on). They should automatically scale down to the right size of a minifig torso/shield. Print and apply! (sticker paper helpful).

You may want to wait though as I will most likely make a full sheet of various torsos & shields available in the future.

-A
Magnus
Artisan

heraldry designs

Post by Magnus »

Great stuff! Is there any way, to create a simple program you could have on a website where the user could customize his or her own designs? You know, have all the standard motifs, add a few traditional things like diagonal bars, chevrons, etc, and a choice of 16 colours or whatever.
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

How about this one?

--Anthony
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Hey Guys,

This was the last triangle shield I needed to do before I had finished drawing all of the official LEGO released triangle shield designs, at least the ones to my knowledge. It is the Lion Heart Shield (my own name, don't really know what to call it) design from the set 1592. You know, that old town set that featured some play-acting medieval dressed knights in the street. They had an awesome shield design, and one I'm sure is very well sought after.

It's also something that isn't well publically documented.

Anyway, using these two images as reference:

I came up with this design:

Please let me know what you think. I'd love to hear from people who own the shield or fig or sticker and find out how close (or not) I've come to recreating it.

--Anthony
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Wow - I don't own the figure or the shield, but that sure looks dead on! Great job! :)
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

This is cool to have created a shield for the crossed pike. They can be consider as a faction with that.

The shield with the lions hearts is well done too.

Guys, you should make a page or a site with your shields. One section for the true Lego and one other for the variations. :wink:
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

i like all of youre work. but how do i get them on my minifigs, with glue? what i would like to do is make it into a sticker but how?

lone ranger
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

Hi lone ranger,

You can buy sticker paper for printer (I don't know the exact name). You print on it and you cut the shield.

That's the way to make it. :wink:
armothe
Apprentice

Post by armothe »

Magnus: I'm sure its definitely possible to create such a program. I think Amy Hughes and others have attempted such a program in the past. I believe the issue is the final output resolution. Many do not realize they have to resize the image for it to print out properly.

lone ranger: Generally you'll need the following:

- 1200x1200+ dpi color printer
- minor image ediiting skills
- pack of 8.5"x11" sticker/label paper

You'll then need to download the images you want. Next step is to edit the images (Photoshop?) back to their intended resolution (from 72 res to 300-500 res; depending on who created them). Then you are ready to print.
However, you may want to create your own, larger file and cut and paste several of the design/s on an 8"x10" template. That way you won't waste the sticker paper.

Alas, the most efficient way is for the original artist to create an 8.5"x11" PDF file in which the masses are able to print directly from the web.

-A