Vikings

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Actually, the helmet on the right with the oculars is well within the limit of being historically accurate. Though I do not have an exact example in any of my books at home, helms from just prior to the Viking period, such as the Sutton Hoo helm (anglo-saxon AD 625) and the Vendel helm (AD 600) both have a ridge down the middle and oculars (as your fine helm does). A quote from one of my books "A Historical Guide to Arms and Armor (Stephen Bull)", page 43, "Contrary to popular belief, the Viking warrior did not usually wear a horned helmet: a conical design, with or without panels and a nasal bar, was the norn. A few depictions of winged or horned helmets do occur, but these are almost certainly of purely ceremonial helmets for the wealthy." So now I ask myself, "Is the fright night batlord helm really a cerimonial Viking helm?" :lol: Nice work Isaac.
Troy T. Moore
Bricksidge
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers

Post by Bricksidge »

Red Bean wrote:
Armothe: I'm not going to cast the helmets into molds. I don't think enough people will want them so they are only here for you to look at, sorry.
I know I would buy some. Of course I said that about your weapons too, and I haven't gotten around to that either. But still, they look great!
~[url=http://www.neutronbot.com/kevin/]Kevin Blocksidge[/url]
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

Hi hi,

The problem with the helmets is that they'd cost a lot more to cast into molds than my weapons (because of the shape and the details), so unless I can get like 200 people to subscribe to them now , I just don't think it'll be worthwhile to cast them (I'm not much of a businessman anyway). And besides I'm a bit broke these days anyway :cry:

As for the design of the 2nd helmet, all I know is that I have seen a similar design in the British Museum somewhere, I just can't recall whether it belongs to the Normans or the Gauls. And for the 1st helmets I actually made it so that the horns are detachable and the holes are the right size for a Lego plume (meaning you can attach a pair of wings to it instead of the horns), I will try to borrow digital camera again to show you a 'winged' version of it later :wink:

Isaac

Visit Red Bean Studio
Magnus
Artisan

helmets

Post by Magnus »

It's always nice to see custom stuff like this. I personally don't think that "everyone" thinks that Viking had horns on their helmets these days. I'm not a bg fan of perpetrating the myth that Viking had horns on their helmets, (especially if you know yourself it isn't true), but if you took off the horns that helmet would be a great simple infantry helmet. If you have to have horns I'd also suggest you make them shorter.

Now that other helmet, that's a real beauty, and also far closer to the sort of helmet my norse ancestors might have worn. Definetely two thumbs up for that!

Count me in amongst those who woud love to see more custom helmets from later in the middlea ges, perhaps a bucket helm or a sallet?