Amerkahn Stages 1 and 2

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

Amerkahn Stages 1 and 2

Post by Chancellor Erik »

For some time now, I have been contemplating the idea of a huge fortress city MOC, with a wall going all the way around a 5x5 baseplate village.

After a month of buying and building, I have this to present to you:

http://www.asphodel.org/bsv/?open=http% ... 8&go=GO&q=

And the second stages (last week):

http://www.asphodel.org/bsv/?open=http% ... 3&go=GO&q=

Believe me, the images are so large you have to use BSV unless your computer is really fast. Not much else to say, questions, comments and criticisms are welcome.
Remember, when you reach for the stars, they're too far away and its hopeless. And even if you could, that would burn your hand clean off. - Wally, from Scott Adams' "Dilbert"
moom
Freeman

Re: Amerkahn Stages 1 and 2

Post by moom »

Chancellor Erik wrote:Believe me, the images are so large you have to use BSV unless your computer is really fast. Not much else to say, questions, comments and criticisms are welcome.
I might have a tip for you. With a excelent freeware progam called Irfanview, you can reduce your images in size before you upload them to Brickshelf. This also makes uploading much faster. You can download the free program from http://www.irfanview.com/

It's very easy to use, just open the image, choose from pull-down menu Image option Resize/Resample. I usually shrink my images to 400x300 pixels. Then I choose from pull-down menu File option Save as to store the shrinked image under a slightly different filename, thus preserving the original high resolution pictures.

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

Nice looking house, and I love the gate. Keep up the good work! :)
legodude101
Peasant

Post by legodude101 »

Make it bigger ,but it's good. I like the house :wink:
Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

Re: Amerkahn Stages 1 and 2

moom wrote:I might have a tip for you. With a excelent freeware progam called Irfanview, you can reduce your images in size before you upload them to Brickshelf. This also makes uploading much faster. You can download the free program from http://www.irfanview.com/
Thanks alot, moom. I'll keep that in mind when I upload the next set of pictures.
legodude101 wrote:Make it bigger ,but it's good. I like the house :wink:
The final layout will be much bigger, a 5x5 square. The little table its on now naturally won't hold the whole thing, so I will be moving the layout to another shooting location soon.
Devari wrote:Nice looking house, and I love the gate. Keep up the good work! :)
Glad you like the gate, Its really simple to make. Most of it is 1x2s and 2x4s :lol: , I quess simpler is better. Thanks to everybody for their comments.
Remember, when you reach for the stars, they're too far away and its hopeless. And even if you could, that would burn your hand clean off. - Wally, from Scott Adams' "Dilbert"
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Hey,

I like the village mocs alot. However I think the gate could use some work. The wall looks to flat and the fact that it is on the edge of the baseplate isn't helping. You should try indenting the gate a few studs, and maybe add a portcullis. For the walls you could make them higher, jazz up the battlements, add some butresses, and maybe some support arches.

Keep it up,

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

It looks pretty good. I like the small houses. Do you have any interior shots of the houses, especially the big one? I think the wall is pretty good, but not very defensible. You could make it higher.

Waiting to see more.
Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

Dragon Master wrote:Hey,

I like the village mocs alot. However I think the gate could use some work. The wall looks to flat and the fact that it is on the edge of the baseplate isn't helping. You should try indenting the gate a few studs, and maybe add a portcullis. For the walls you could make them higher, jazz up the battlements, add some butresses, and maybe some support arches.

Keep it up,

DM
Alright, first off I'm glad you like the houses, the black tan combo makes for an ineresting look. Second, The wall was placed on the edge of the baseplate is to give the town more interior room, not my first choice, but it would have run me too much money to buy those extra baseplates. I agree with you completely about the walls, they are very unexciting. Expect to see changes in the future. Lastly, there is a portcullis in the gatehouse section, look closer! I appreciate your comments. Snoopy, I don't have any interior shots of the smaller houses, but the big house has its own gallery: http://www.asphodel.org/bsv/?open=http% ... 7&go=GO&q=

Hope to here more from everybody soon!
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

OOOO when do you do the rest? Please make it soon. :)
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

Robin Hood, I am working on it as I write this post! Mostly little stuff right now, landscaping and house design, but the next wall sections are underway and I will have stage 3 pics in about a 2 weeks. Glad you like it so far.
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

Just courious why you are ussing pink roof pieces. I have never seen them before.
Alan
good times
Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

To answer your question Brickboy, The sand-red tiles are my own little truly castle idea. Alot of real mid-european style houses use wavy sand red shingles on the roofs, which inspired me to use the relatively new sand red bricks to make the roof look a little more realistic. Also noticed I only used 2x2 slopes, not 2x4s (as to give it a shingled look). Hopw you liked the rest of the town.
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

Yeah! Its a great town. :)
Alan
good times
Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

Been having some trouble with the stage 3 pics, but I hope to have them soon (I can never keep a deadline, can I...). Anyhow, thanks to those who commented, stage 3 article will be soon (hopefully).
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

You have a great start, I really like the house and the sand red slopes looked better than I would have expected. I have been selling off all my sand colors to save myself the need to store more colors, but I may hang on to the sand red slopes. Looking forward to an update and I know how the summer season can stall the progress of a MOC. Glad to hear you are still working on it.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.