Round Tower Question

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Dragon Master
Merchant

Round Tower Question

Post by Dragon Master »

Hoy-Hoy!

I'm in the process of building a castle. I want it to include at least 1 round tower. I was just wondering what ideas you have. I have tried using corner CWP and the round HP corners, but it only looks good when the towers are small. I have also tried making circular towers using bricks, but I don't have enough bricks to do that, and it doesn't open.

Please share your strategies!

Thanks,

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Green Fox
Bailiff

Post by Green Fox »

Weeeeeel...

You could buy lots of "sirius black's escape"... if you want a beige tower...

I am aware this is not a good idea. :shock:
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I usually just stick to squres ones. With the occasional 'rounded' (Thank you BFF!) :)
Magnus
Artisan

round towers

Post by Magnus »

You have a bunch of options.

Short of getting hold of a few undred 1 by 3 bricks and 1 by 1 rounds, you could use the droid wall pieces to make a small rounded wall turret or some sort. I suppose you could make a large rounded tower using some sort of advanced snot design, but I've never seen anyone try this. It is probably just a matter of time before someone does though :)

I find octagonal towers look pretty cool. You can use the diagonal corner castle wall pieces, and if you can get hold of some of the bigger black diagonal ones you could make a cool looking octagonal tower of some size. Alterantively you could try to build using the technique in the original Hagrid's Hut.
Cow1302
Serf

Tower

Post by Cow1302 »

I've built towers using ten flat hinges attached to form a circle and then building them up with 1 x 2 pillars (click here). It's a bit harder to incorporate into larger creations, but with a bit of experimentation you can make it work.[/url]
Visit my gallery at [url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=JHolmes[/url]
Legomaat
Laborer

Post by Legomaat »

My biggest wish is to build a good looking round tower, because this form gives a castle a very good look. But so far, I didn’t found any satisfying solution, so I stick to the square ones too. I know the trick with the 1x3 bricks and the 1x1 rounds, or the hinges, but since the scale of my buildings is some bigger than the usual minifig scale (1:25), it doesn’t work very well. That is also the reason that the typical castle elements don’t fit in my MOCs.
I also tried it with bricks, but even with a rather big circular floor plan it looked very odd with all those corners. More a building from the 1930ties.
Sorry, I am not much of help in this case :oops:

And I would give a kingdom for a really good idea….! :lol:
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars".

Edward Young / Night Thoughts.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

If you want a REALLY big tower (and I'm speaking about really big here!) you can stick together like 80 1×2 bricks and bend them. There's space between the single bricks so you can bend them to a complete circle. It's a vast diameter, though... So to get a good looking and well proportionate tower with this diameter you need at least 200 rows of 1×2 bricks á 80 bricks one upon the other...

OK, that's almost impossible to build for a mortal AFOL. But it's working :-)

Bye
Jojo

Taki
Villein

Post by Taki »

Jojo wrote:Hello!

If you want a REALLY big tower (and I'm speaking about really big here!) you can stick together like 80 1×2 bricks and bend them. There's space between the single bricks so you can bend them to a complete circle. It's a vast diameter, though... So to get a good looking and well proportionate tower with this diameter you need at least 200 rows of 1×2 bricks á 80 bricks one upon the other...

OK, that's almost impossible to build for a mortal AFOL. But it's working :-)

Bye
Jojo

This would need 16k bricks and cost ~800$ :shock:

To add something usefull:
Well... a version with plates would be nice. You can build it in nearly every size.
Green Fox
Bailiff

Post by Green Fox »

Has somebody tried/could somebody try to do Jojo's idea on Ldraw?
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

You could try using the grey round pieces from the droid escape set.
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Green Fox wrote:Has somebody tried/could somebody try to do Jojo's idea on Ldraw?
It's not my own idea and it has been done before:

This tank was built in the way I tried to describe by Jürgen Lüttgen. Notice how flat it seems to be with only 12 rows of 1×2 bricks. For a reasonable tower you'd need loads more... AND you'd have to come up with a useful design for the top of the tower....

Now that I think about it: Perhaps this design could be incorporated in a MOC of the Castel St. Angelo in Rome:

Bye
Jojo

LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Ok - it has been mentioned before to use the castle wall angle pieces. here is an example based off of Bob Carneys stuff...

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thele ... ower01.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thele ... ower02.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thele ... ower03.jpg

(and yes.. that IS henry at the top of that tower. Just before he went on vacation.)

I am currently at work on a larger grey version, so hopefully the detail will show up better. And the grey one will open up as well, and have stairs.

:D
legodude101
Peasant

Post by legodude101 »

I just make hexagon towers or sqaure towers.