Jojo - Simplicissimus?

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Jojo - Simplicissimus?

Post by Bruce N H »

Jojo,

Could you tell us about this creation? Does this refer to a specific mythical creature? Or is it your own design?

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=565023

Bruce
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hallo!

That figure is my attempt to render this frontispiece of Der Abentheurliche Simplicissimus Teutsch, a famous (at least in Germany) baroque novel of the Thirty Years War.

The figure is a Pan or Satyr. Satyrs symbolise the "theater", as they gave the name for the "satire", a burlesque that was played during the intermission in a dramatic play. Often the Devil is personated after this image (horns, horse foot, wings). So this figure was a symbol for the evil in the "world theater" (30 years of war) as well as for the humourours form of the novel.

My next big project is a LEGO rendition of this Simplicissimus novel.

Bye
Jojo

Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Very cool. I think you captured it in brick form perfectly. You should upload that source picture to the same Brickshelf gallery, for the aid of those like me that were a bit confused. I'd never heard of that novel, and I'm fairly well-read, so I suspect many other Americans would be similarly ignorant.

Bruce
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Bruce N H wrote:Very cool. I think you captured it in brick form perfectly.
Thanks! First I wondered If I should make it a mosaic, but I opted for the simple solution ;-)

You should upload that source picture to the same Brickshelf gallery, for the aid of those like me that were a bit confused. I'd never heard of that novel, and I'm fairly well-read, so I suspect many other Americans would be similarly ignorant.
I didn't expect this novel to be known outside of the German-speaking part. It's not as well known as e.g. Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra's "Don Quijote", though it's comparable. Also the language in the "Simplicissimus" is a baroque form of German and even Germans have a tough time to read it though I like it a lot :-) But it makes it difficult to translate into English.

Maybe I upload the source pic when I add some more pictures to the folder.

Bye
Jojo

Last edited by Jojo on Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Very interesting. I did a little research and I plan to read a translated version of the text. For other English speakes interested check out http://www.stevebruce.com/default.htm Click on the picture.

Bye,

Dragon Master
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

I read the book a few years ago (easy to find in English when you work in a University Library) and it was fantastic.

It is apparently a fictional autobiography much like Daniel Defoe's Memoirs of a Cavalier but probably written by someone who was actually alive during the Thirty Years War. Many of the incidents seem like they could be real experiences of that time period while sequences like his encounter with the witches makes you wonder if they had LSD in the 1630-40's.

As someone who has studied the period (slightly-post-period SCA geek) what I really found enlightening was the ease with which Simplicius switched sides repeatedly. Beliefs of individual soldiers were not that important in a war supposedly based on religious convictions.
Bricksidge
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers

Post by Bricksidge »

Jojo wrote:
That figure is my attempt to render this frontispiece of Der Abentheurliche Simplicissimus Teutsch, a famous (at least in Germany) baroque novel of the Thirty Years War.

My next big project is a LEGO rendition of this Simplicissimus novel.
I am glad you cleared this up. When I first saw it, I couldn't figure out what it was. If I blocked out the legs, it was a mer-man, but if I blocked out the tail, it was a satyr.

Condsidering its versatility, care to explain what exactly makes up the light grey core?
~[url=http://www.neutronbot.com/kevin/]Kevin Blocksidge[/url]
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Bricksidge wrote:Condsidering its versatility, care to explain what exactly makes up the light grey core?
If I understand this question correctly:
One Image between two Image

Bye
Jojo