MY First Post and First MOC

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
The Josh
Apprentice

MY First Post and First MOC

Post by The Josh »

Hi,

Once upon a time there was a Lego castle fan that didn't have a digital camera and wanted to make his first post announcing one of his creations. He lurked for months before he got some pictures digitally developed :( . I am that Lego fan and this is my post.

I now present my first public MOC, The Black Castle
(I couldn't come up with a more original name).

Main Pic:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thejo ... castle.jpg

One of the Cool Rooms:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thejo ... ucture.jpg

Brickshelf Folder:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=86858

Please give me any and all feedback, both positive and negative, about any aspect of the castle. I want to know how I could improve this and any similar castle creation that I will make in the future. Thanks!

-The Josh
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

Ooh! Very nice and BIG! Love it, nice battlement design too!
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

Yeah thats a great castle!
Alan
good times
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: MY First Post and First MOC

Post by footsteps »

Maybe your first MOC shared, but you've obviously been building for some time. I like the crenelations, and the brickwork around the window openings. The main gate looks good too - not too fancy, but obviously more than just a hole in the wall.

Are there interior stairs for the keep? I couldn't tell from the photos I looked at.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi Josh.

Welcome to Classic-Castle! :D

I like your use of slopes for crenelations on the towers. I would suggest making your pictures smaller because they take a long time to load for people with slower connections. Sizes in the range of 800 x 600 pixels are good.

Ben E.
Sets Admin
David C.
Peasant

Post by David C. »

:shock:

Very cool! Much better than anything I've ever done. Keep up the good work. The towers are my favorite part, especially the windows and the fact that the turrets are removable. Plus, it's modular! Do you have plans (and the pieces) to build some walls to go with it, or is this intended to be the whole castle?

P.S. Welcome to Classic-Castle!
David Cheramie

Acts 17:29-31
Green Fox
Bailiff

Post by Green Fox »

Great castle. The battlements are nice 'n' chunky. The war room is superb. Does said castle have any other rooms in it apart from the three shown?
st1920
Peasant

Post by st1920 »

Great castle. It seems that it is easily defendable.
You must be building castles fr a long time
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

That is amazing! The design looks awesome and sturdy. And all those Black Knights! That is stunning!
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Very nice freshman effort. As others have said, the battlements look great. The castle looks like it could be easily defended and the rooms pictured have some very nice details. It is nice to see a planned expansion when you look at the back of the keep. I really like the use of corner wall panels with brick, it looks a lot better than I would have expected. I also like the simple but stong look of the front gates. Thanks for sharing and welcome to Classic-Castle.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Thats a great looking castle! Hmm.... I think I'll send my troops to besiege and conquer it. :twisted:
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
The Josh
Apprentice

Post by The Josh »

Thanks for all of your replies. I'm glad you all like my castle :D .
Do you have plans (and the pieces) to build some walls to go with it, or is this intended to be the whole castle?
This is the whole castle. I planned on making more walls, but due to a shortage of pieces the castleis going to be taken down so I can build other models. I might make a smaller version of this castle for the brickfest castle contest, if I can attend.
Are there interior stairs for the keep?
Yes, but they were poorly designed so you can't see them to well :( . All of the castle is minifig-accessable.

-The Josh
Magnus
Artisan

WOW!

Post by Magnus »

I'm digging this! :)

Where to start, I like the sheer scale/size of this thing, and clearly you've avoided using the prefab wall pieces, which makes it look that little bit more realistic. This is a very straightforward design; square castle, four identical corner towers etc, and while black is not usually a very photogenic color, I think the way you have mixed it with grey is great! I call this color scheme "black with grey highlights", and have used it myself a number of times. When done nicely I think it looks great, and with old grey going out of production, perhaps we will see more castles that use this sort of color scheme...

Usually I like to see gateways built into seperate towers, but your walls are so high that this isn't so important, there is certainly space for a portcullis above the gates, and the corner towers offer plenty of flanking defense. The only thing I'd change is perhaps the keep. If it is meant to be a "keep" in the "Great central tower" sense of the word, it should be bigger, at least as high as the corner towers.

I do hope to see you at BrickFest this summer. This castle would certainly be in its true element in the Castle Room, and if you wanted to use the brick to have a go at the MOCC, I expect you could build something quite impressive on a smaller scale also!
Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

Nice castle. Great design. I especially like, well, the guys for one, but also the color scheme of the walls. I've always thought black with gray highlights looked better then all gray.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

The Josh wrote:
This is the whole castle. I planned on making more walls, but due to a shortage of pieces the castleis going to be taken down so I can build other models. I might make a smaller version of this castle for the brickfest castle contest, if I can attend.

-The Josh
When you say more walls, do you mean bigger walls, or another layer.

Looks totally awusome all the way round. :D
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.