A brick I'd REALLY like to have in real..

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations

Usefull?

Yeah! Where can i order it??
29%
Nah, just live with it dude
46%
Burp... shrug... pass the soup, please
26%

Total votes: 35

Teup
Freeman

A brick I'd REALLY like to have in real..

Post by Teup »

Time and again i'm confronted with this problem:

I want a gallery of arches but i want only 1 collumn in between :x :x :x

Or, I want a square of arches with only four 1x1 pillars supporting it on the corners :x

Anyone else having this? If so, I present to you, the #1 solution for this prob:

Well now... how do i go about realizing this one.. :oops: :(
Whatever you do, don't.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

If I hadn't already gone with Option2, I'd go with Option3 (cause its funnier!). Seriously, though, I don't do enough things with arches to feel a terrible need, although I get what you are saying about the existing pieces not doing everything you want.
Teup
Freeman

Post by Teup »

By the way, the picture only shows an 8x1x2 version, but this principle can be applied to all arches.
Whatever you do, don't.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Another thought: I'm not sure how solid such a series of arches would be. Any guesses? :?:
Teup
Freeman

Post by Teup »

Hmm good point, i think it'll be OK though. In my current project i'm also using thin collumns, but the arches are stacked here (ignore the colors btw, those will be replaced :P ), and that is pretty solid already. I think the proposed brick will make an even better construction. And anyway i think almost every brick touching a collumn on either side is a solid construction.

Edit: yeah i did a test with some 1x8x1 bricks, 4 piles of 2 (stacked in way resembling my arch thing) and supported it with 1x1x5's. That's really solid already, it's weakest point would be the assembly of the stacked 1x8x1 bricks, but they would consist of one part in my brick anyway.
Whatever you do, don't.
jamitjames
Gentleman

Post by jamitjames »

What is your current project?
[url=http://radio.laml.org/]LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast[/url]
Teup
Freeman

Post by Teup »

jamitjames wrote:What is your current project?
See this topic :)
Whatever you do, don't.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Hmm, well I can't say. The picture of the arcc is strange looking. Is it supposed to be lopsided?
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Mmm... I like soup! Burping too! :wink:

Yes I picked that option, I don't really use arches very extensively and all the uses I have had for arches were filled by the existing official arches. That and did I mention I like soup. :D

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I like it.

I doubt that TLC will ever produce such a part, because it has a sharp edge and it is very strange looking and very singular of purpose, but I've often run into the same problem you are describing. I think using the 1x3 double inverted slopes and 2x2 inverted corner slopes to simulate the appearance of arches is the best you can hope for.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Teup
Freeman

Post by Teup »

Ok, here's another picture of the idea, for the people that don't get what i'm saying (or like soup and burp) :D

Picture!

Don't think i've got much more to add. Oh, this is not a technical drawing or anything, just a rough scetch.. and i hope you guys can imagine the extra possibilities it has in 3D :roll:
Last edited by Teup on Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, don't.
jamitjames
Gentleman

Post by jamitjames »

Teup wrote:
jamitjames wrote:What is your current project?
See this topic :)
Yikes, I love all your stuff.
[url=http://radio.laml.org/]LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast[/url]
Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

I picked Choice 2. Part of the fun of playing with LEGO's is problem solving whenyou don't have a certain piece or the piece doesn't exist. Would you rather have fun designing around it or for TLC to make yet another "juniorized" piece.
Legomaat
Laborer

Post by Legomaat »

Number two for my too.
I am afraid if you start with developing special parts, there will be no end of it. I for myself can think of a hundred special parts for my buildings. Moulded bricks, al kind of cornices, ornaments, capitals, gothic arches, Tudor arches and so on :roll:

The ultimate challenge is to build with that LEGO has to offer. To use parts in a different way.
To live with the limitations of LEGO-parts and nevertheless, to make a great MOC.
“Just imagine”, as Mister LEGO said so wisely :lol:
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars".

Edward Young / Night Thoughts.
Teup
Freeman

Post by Teup »

Hmm yeah, maybe you guys are right.

however :P

since TLC creates new parts every year, i think this one should be part of next year's additions, instead of POOPs they just make up because they can't think of anything else. Yes, moccing may get less challenging, but how about pieces like this (to pick on something else than recent KK creations for a change :D ). Things like that are alot more juniorized and oven-ready (both figuratively and literally :twisted: ) than my proposed brick.
Whatever you do, don't.