Straw roof

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Citembe
Gong Farmer

Straw roof

Post by Citembe »

I am building a half-timbered house and I am about to make the roof, which I wanted to be a straw roof.

But how do you actually build something that looks like a straw roof?

Any good suggestions :?:
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I would make it thicker than most lego roofs. Yellow slopes would work, because thatch sometimes is stepped. Other thatch is pushed to be flat, so plates could work too. For colors, you could use yellow, tan, or maybe even light grey for a weathered look. Dont forget a small overhang on the front and sides. Maybe add inverse slopes under the roof pieces.

I admit I have not experimented on thatch roofs, but these are my ideas on how to do it.

Ben
CC Sets Admin
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: Straw roof

Post by footsteps »

To add to Ben's ideas, I've seen someone use standard bricks (yellow, tan or gray) in a step pattern to some effect. I don't have links to their work, but I recall it being a simple way to show thatch. Admittedly it looked blocky, but overall I think it worked.

Alan
Citembe
Gong Farmer

Post by Citembe »

Thanks, for the input.

I found this example build with 45- and 33-degree slopes. It is very nice, but it will take an awfull lot of parts to build a larger house with this kind of roof.

http://www.1000steine.de/gallery3/g212/ ... thod=exact

Straw roofs are quite common here in Denmark. I believe it was the most common type of roof on the countryside up to about 1920-1930. Many older houses has been fitted with more modern roofs since then, but in the last 20-30 years or so the straw roof has made a come-back on these old houses.

Here are some examples on Danish straw roofs. Note that these are all newly laid. Within a few years they become more grayish in the color.

http://www.taekke.dk/tag.html

Martin
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

I really like that version with alternating 1x2 and 1x3 slopes. I saw that when it was in the ISCC and wanted to reproduce it, but I just couldn't get enough yellow 1x3 slopes without spending a ton on Bricklink.
I did a sort of a thatched roof in this Ewok home out of randomly scattered tan 1x2 slopes:
http://www.ozbricks.net/bricktales/misc ... endor.html

Bruce
Citembe
Gong Farmer

Post by Citembe »

I did a sort of a thatched roof in this Ewok home out of randomly scattered tan 1x2 slopes
Very nice indeed, but for a larger roof I think the alternating 1x3 and 1x2 slopes probably works better.

I do think tan is a better choice than yellow. I might try and mix in a few gray, dkgray and brown slopes as well in a scattered pattern and se if it works.

Now if only TLC made the Christmas Tree in Tan :D

Martin
Belisarius
Serf

Re: Straw roof

Post by Belisarius »

Citembe wrote:I am building a half-timbered house and I am about to make the roof, which I wanted to be a straw roof.

But how do you actually build something that looks like a straw roof?
You could try using a form of hinges and some yellow antennas. It could work if you got them to be close together and bunched up.