Small Bridge

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
The Josh
Apprentice

Small Bridge

Post by The Josh »

My 100th Post!!

I figured I should make this one special, so I'm posting an MOC, a small bridge:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=841581

PTMWYT

I know it's not much, but I'm saving the real stuff for brickfest :wink: . I won't be able to respond to this post, for I'm going away for the next two weeks. I be back soon!

-The Josh
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Oh!

Black Knights!

Always a treat.

(BTW, do you is MOC pronounced em-oh-see, or moek/mock? Not that it matters, but Josh's use of an MOC looked weird, because I always seem to use moek. And I've heard mock. Just a weird question.)
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I know you said you can't respond, but maybe somebody else knows this...

Is the bridge sturdy, or would the beams fall down if you tried pushing a minifig down onto one of the studs?

Regardless, it looks very nice.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Hey, nice idea! I've seen that technique used to line the inside of an arch, but never this way where you can also see the tops of the studs.

Bruce
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

Nice bridge!! I also like your little group of knights.

Dave
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

Hey cool bridge!:D

-JOEL!
I'm back, and so is Castle!
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Hey, that's pretty kool. That'd be perfect stuck in a diaroma or story somewhere.

Cm2
Linus
Freeman

Post by Linus »

That's a great bridge! I never thought of making a bridge like that. Now I'm going to make a bridge like that for my village! I hope you don't mind me using your idea. :wink:
Keep up the good work!
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: Small Bridge

Post by footsteps »

The Josh wrote:My 100th Post!!
-The Josh
Congratulations.

And that's a great little bridge. Simple, but very imaginative, using an approach I've not seen before. I like it a lot. Must copy.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I really like the bridge design. Very nice! The dust is a little distracting, but the MOC is great. :D

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

Formendacil wrote: (BTW, do you is MOC pronounced em-oh-see, or moek/mock? Not that it matters, but Josh's use of an MOC looked weird, because I always seem to use moek. And I've heard mock. Just a weird question.)
I was always wondering about that. I called it Mock, but I think he uses it as M.O.C. since it stands for something. But S.N.O.T. just doesn't work. Neither does P.O.O.P., B.U.R.P., etc.

Great bridge, I really like how you made it curve. Awesome.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Now that is one cool bridge! Yet another idea for me to steal...
Formendacil wrote:(BTW, do you is MOC pronounced em-oh-see, or moek/mock? Not that it matters, but Josh's use of an MOC looked weird, because I always seem to use moek. And I've heard mock. Just a weird question.)
I always pronounce it 'mock'.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
David C.
Peasant

Post by David C. »

That bridge is really neat! I too have seen it done to line the inside of an arch, and I even tried it once, without success. :oops: However, I'll have to see if I can build this one successfully. The picture is much clearer as far as how the pieces need to be arranged than the one I was trying to copy before. Thank you for posting this!
David Cheramie

Acts 17:29-31
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Yeah its great, but I have the same question, how is held up, or will it just fall apart if weight is put on it. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
David C.
Peasant

Post by David C. »

Robin Hood wrote:Yeah its great, but I have the same question, how is held up, or will it just fall apart if weight is put on it. :wink:
My guess is that it holds up quite well. It utilizes the same principle that an actual stone arch does, with the stones pressing against each other to transfer the force down into the support or the ground. Those appear to be the one-piece black arches, so unless they detach from the green plates they should be fine under normal use. If it needed to be strengthened, the whole assembly could be attached to a baseplate. The only potential weak point I can see is if a rotational force is applied to one of the plates in the deck, causing it to slip due to the gap at the top of each consecutive set of plates.

P.S. Don't ask a question about the structural integrity of a bridge when there's a civil engineer around to (try to) explain it! :wink:
David Cheramie

Acts 17:29-31