New MOC - Golden Hall

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Red Bean
Apprentice

New MOC - Golden Hall

Post by Red Bean »

Hi all,

I've uploaded pictures of my newest MOC - The Golden Hall of Edoras - onto my website. Please see it here and give me some feedbacks afterwards. Thank you!

R. B.
visit my website: www.redbeanstudio.net
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

That is awesome...especially the part at the end...
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

Hey!

Very cool version of the Hall!
I'm back, and so is Castle!
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

First off, let me say that I like this design a lot. It has a very authentic feel to it, and while based on historical designs, is NOT copied direct from Peter Jackson's movie.

The only (criticisms, comments?) I have are these:

Why is there a red star/sun on Rohan's flag?

Was is impossible to liven up the exterior colour, or was it left mainly grey and black for a reason?
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Mmm...superb. The architectural flares are amazing. The only thing I would change is to have the roof slopes in yellow or tan. Tolkein really emphasizes that the great hall had a 'golden' thatched roof. Excellent even as is, though.

Cm2
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Wow Red Bean,

This looks great. I really like the front view of the hall and the roof tower structure. I love the steps and the base of the hall, they really have an authentic architectural feel. I like the decrorative flags on the outside of the hall as well. Great work. :D

As to the roof slope comments, don't you guys know that yellow slopes are hugely expensive in the 3 x 4 33 degree slope compared to black. Also not all of the slopes used in this MOC are available in tan or yellow colors and some that are a rather costly. This is probably why the roof is black.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

hi all,

Thanks for all the feedbacks. I had a lot of fun doing this MOC, especially trying to think of what to put in the interior. Believe it or not, I actually built the throne before anything else. The sun on the flag is just for decoration purpose. I had only the horse originally, but I thought it looked rather plain, so I added the sun to balance the design a bit. As for the roof, wlister is correct that any slope pieces of color other than black and red are just unrealistically expensive, so I had to scrap my original plan of having a brown roof and opted for black instead. And to Formendacil, what do you have in mind regarding the exterior color? I guess I left it gray because I had in mind a stone keep with a Viking feel when I think of the Golden Hall. But I'm always open to suggestions.

R. B.
Visit my website: www.redbeanstudio.net
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Very nice. I like it alot. However, its um well not very golden. I think that if you had used tan or yellow it might have looked better. And it wasn't supposed to made out of stone. If I recall corectly it was made out of wood. I think though I know why you made it the way it is. Not enough right coloured pieces is my guess, and I can't hold that against you. Its the same with me.

I still like it a lot. Keep it up. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Really awesome! I like the torches and the throne on the inside; the horseshoe design on the outside. The whole creation has a very good....um...feel to it.
Daimyo
Squire

Post by Daimyo »

I have to say... Nice work!
The interior could use a little more color, but I love your throne design! I'll be using that one in the future. The outside is great, and I really like the banners. Great job! :wink:
"Alright Kif, let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do"
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Red Bean wrote: And to Formendacil, what do you have in mind regarding the exterior color? I guess I left it gray because I had in mind a stone keep with a Viking feel when I think of the Golden Hall. But I'm always open to suggestions.
How should I know? Its just my job to make comments! :wink:

Its just something that looked a little off to me. If you could have made a more thatch-coloured roof, that would have done it. Or maybe you could have some more yellow or red worked into the walls. I'm not really sure. It was more an impression I got than a problem...
cnelson
Laborer

Post by cnelson »

I like!

My favorite parts are the raised base and the inverted slopes on the roof eaves. Was something intended for the horizontal clips on the side of the hall? Putting a flag similar to the one above the throne on those clips could give Formendacil the color he's wanting... ;-)

Carl
"You read the manual, man, and you won't play around with it, not the same way. And you get all funny when somebody else uses it to do something you never thought of..."

William Gibson
The Winter Market
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Very nice moc redbean! Much better than in the movie. Its one heck of a structure, its very detailed! If it were food, I would eat it.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: New MOC - Golden Hall

Post by footsteps »

Red Bean wrote:Hi all,
I've uploaded pictures of my newest MOC - The Golden Hall of Edoras - onto my website.
R. B.
visit my website: www.redbeanstudio.net
I admit that I'm one of those whose first reaction was: "The colours are all wrong."

But then I started to look at it for what it is rather than what I wanted it to be. This is a truly beautiful MOC. The raised base and the encircling promenade are excellent, and I love the arch-work on the front wall. The guard alcoves are a particularly nice touch.

What really wow-ed me is the interior. Within the confined Lego-scale space you've really captured (for me) the look and feel of the Golden Hall as described by Tolkien. The throne itself is inspirational in its use of a potential "seed part".

I'd like to see the roof reflect the yellow or tan thatched look - that would really cap this MOC (pun intended) - but otherwise I couldn't come close to doing anything better, or equal.

Thanks for sharing.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
DaveOhare01
Apprentice

Ahhhh!

Post by DaveOhare01 »

Wow!

That is one fantastic MOC! I especially liked the interior accents -- the black brick vertical wall supports, etc.

(of course) the folks drinking outside is just the kind of touch I love to see!

dave O