Introducing the Colossal Castle Contest

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

CJXXX-

Concerning your questions about 3CS gates - the baseplate size of 32x32 is important because then each module hooks up and forms the 32x32 grid.

Examples of the 3CS in action can be seen here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=63107

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=65688

If the front of your baseplate is extended eight studs, the corresponding baseplate (that sits in front of it) must be also decreased by eight studs. Therefore, keeping to the 32baseplate is important.

However, as you can see from the Festival of the Masters Show (top link) - the outer wall will probably constitute the outer limit of the display, and thus having the baseplates extend beyond might not be that important.
Thus the inner side of the plate must conform, but the outer side doesn't.

My next moc will sit on a 48x48 grey baseplate that adds 8x16 baseplates so it is compatible. It assumes the outer wall will be the outer edge.

Having said that, it is allowed that the wall take any shape you desire, only that the 'hook-ups' meet at the middle point of the 32baseplate. So the wall could bulge out or in as you see fit. Also, there is no rule that it must all fit on ONE 32baseplate.

You could build a wall that sits across several baseplates in either direction. Think of a tetris piece of wall sections. This would allow someone to build a 3CS hill or larger keep, etc.

Hope that answers your questions.

-Lenny
Keeper of the 3CS
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
CJXXX
Serf

3Cs

Post by CJXXX »

Yeah, that was mainly my concern... Since the gate is supposed to be on the outer edge of the display, I figured there would be no connection on the front side...

for the purposes of display with other modules, i will probably just add a full 32 plate on the front. for the purposes of this contest i think i will keep just the extra 8 studs...
Shroud9
Peasant

Re: Introducing the Colossal Castle Contest

Post by Shroud9 »

architect wrote:The CC Team is proud to announce our first building contest: The Colossal Castle Contest.

This contest is a bit different than other contests. We have a variety of categories each with one prize for the winner. Some categories require small creations and others need larger ones. Everyone, even with a limited supply of bricks, should be able to enter several categories. We are looking for creativity, not who has the most LEGO.

Check out the prizes. Every 1986 Castle set is a prize. There are several other sets and custom weapons. It truly is colossal! Thank you to LEGO, the Little Armory, and others who donated prizes.

The rules can be found here. Enjoy!

If you have questions or comments please post them below.

The CC Team

:::Its nice to look back at the history of the Colossal Castle Contest!

It's come a long way and a lot of potential has been develop.

Wonderful! :)

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`• -=Richard=-
mystuffiscool
Apprentice

Post by mystuffiscool »

I agree to your statement wholeheartedly, but couldn't you have put it somewhere besides a 6-year-old thread? (I do believe that's against the C-C TOS?)
Mystuffiscool
----------
My Flickr: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/legoworshipper/[/url]

"Just between you and me, I think 'everything' bagels are making a lot of promises they can't keep."

Okay, so now I'm an Apprentice! To what exactly...?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

We are glad that you appreciate the CCC. I am going to lock this thread to avoid confusion with the current CCC thread. Please check out the FAQ section regarding old threads: http://www.classic-castle.com/ccfaq.html#forum11 Thanks.

Ben