Another Viking building

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Teup
Freeman

Another Viking building

Post by Teup »

Hey guys, what d'ya think of my roof, worth stealing? :D Or has it been done before perhaps?

(whole gallery here)
Whatever you do, don't.
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

That Rocks! 8) Your use of chairs there is very, very innovative. I commend you on your work. The only fault I can see is that conventionally, it can only work on steeper slopes. Very Cool nonetheless.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
Teup
Freeman

Post by Teup »

Well, i think it'll work on all slopes, to some extend, the only problem is the ridge. I now have a loose bar of inverted slopes on top of it, that happens to just fit, but there's no real good seat ridge possible, and that goes for all slopes... oh well maybe someone can steal and improve that :)
Whatever you do, don't.
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: Another Viking building

Post by footsteps »

I like it. Can you post detailed pictures of how you pull it off?

And I like the big statue of the guy and the dragon (?). What is it supposed to comemorate (sp?)?

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

That's looking great! Like all of your viking buildings are simply stunning. There's not much else what I could say.

Bye
Jojo

Teup
Freeman

Re: Another Viking building

Post by Teup »

footsteps wrote:I like it. Can you post detailed pictures of how you pull it off?

And I like the big statue of the guy and the dragon (?). What is it supposed to comemorate (sp?)?

Alan
As you can see, it involves 'axle-pins', and i can tell you there are two 1x1 technic bricks under the back of the frontmost seats on each side, but ok, i'll make some pictures of the assembly soon.

For conaisseurs, the statue is Thor fighting Jormungand, the midgard serpent at ragnarok. It's a common theme for statues and other decorations. I tried to make Thor look a bit more like the Vikings would portray him instead of the popular look, so with a sloped hammer and without a horned helmet or anything :)
Whatever you do, don't.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Wow!:shock:

That is the first word that comes to mind. Just wow! I would love to see some of the construction details to see how you pulled this off. Amazing work, all of your work in that gallery is great, but this really is a marvel of inventiveness. :D

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Awesome idea man. were did you get so many chairs? :shock:

:wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
cnelson
Laborer

Post by cnelson »

Truly steal-worthy. Great looking MOC!

Carl
"You read the manual, man, and you won't play around with it, not the same way. And you get all funny when somebody else uses it to do something you never thought of..."

William Gibson
The Winter Market
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

cnelson wrote:Truly steal-worthy. Great looking MOC!

Carl
*puts on stealing gloves...*
Pay no attention to me.. :D

Dang - that is one sweet looking village. I am not too crazy about the longship, but I love the dragon headed prow. The shape on that is just SO smooth and sweet looking. I like the steep roofs, and overal its just awesome. Are each of those still built? can we expect to see a whole village shot? or do you tear one down to build the next?
either way - what a tremendous effort, and a fantastic result. :)

Freak
Teup
Freeman

Post by Teup »

Thanks all :D

@ Robin hood: These come from TLC surplusses. There are these big bins of lego in several stores, 1 liter / 0.25 gallon for 5 euro / 6 dollar (i don't know if you guys are familiar with this...). And those chairs happened to be amonst it, along with the axle hole bricks, all the tan parts and some other items used in this moc (and others). I immediately got this idea for the axle bricks and seats when i saw them in the bins in such amounts :)
To make a long story short, i got about twice the amount of seats used in that moc for about $6. :D

@ Legofreak: I agree on the longship, it was only a preview and it's kind of a small side project from the village.

Almost all mocs in the gallery (and more) are still standing, when i have finished it all and when i have more room I'll make couple of shots of the whole village. I like those river plates, i now have 4 of them attached to one another throughout the village :D
Whatever you do, don't.
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

That's just a great idea. My only regret is that I've got about a total of 5 chairs in brown. Could you take a picture of the underside of the roof to show how it was done? One of my favorite perhaps unintended details is the way the angled beams come together at the top and there is an arrowhead-shaped gap.

Bruce
Teup
Freeman

Post by Teup »

Bruce N H wrote:That's just a great idea. My only regret is that I've got about a total of 5 chairs in brown. Could you take a picture of the underside of the roof to show how it was done?
Sure, though it's pretty easily actually, stack a brick on the seats (the two studs it has on the front), then a plate, then a new row of seats, and so on.
Bruce N H wrote: One of my favorite perhaps unintended details is the way the angled beams come together at the top and there is an arrowhead-shaped gap.

Bruce
Hehe, that's funny :D
Whatever you do, don't.
stuifzand
Archer

Post by stuifzand »

Megablocks, you posted your roofidea before I could steal it... ;)

As said before, very, very cool!
If you're a Dutch legofan, visit [url=http://www.lowlug.nl]Lowlug[/url]!
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

I really enjoy these viking stuctures. LEGO should make a real viking theme because im too lazy to build my own.

I dunno what else to say other than more!
It's a Christmas Miracle!