It may be ugly but it sure is heavy.

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Buford
Laborer

Post by Buford »

thanks gents,

Cathedral is 2/3 down but not much sorted. I don't know what my next project shall be. I did look at a lot of photos of Cathedrals before I started building which may be why I'm disapointed.

The real thing is difficult to counterfit.
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Buford,

"Too ugly" is certainly not a description I would apply to this. Perhaps your issue is that you're using those amazing cathedrals we discussed in a an earlier thread as a standard? If so, remember those are huge, often months-long, projects by some of the most experienced fan builders out there. I think this looks really great, especially so when you consider that you're a pretty new castle builder. This is certainly at a scale I've never attempted, and I've been in this game for quite a while now. My favorite little detail is the series of 1-wide arched windows of increasing heights, seen in this pic:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=918725

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next. Your building kind of reminds me of Adrian Egli, who continues building and rebuilding bridges at a very large scale, learning new things with each study that he can then apply in the next:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=AEGLI

Bruce
Buford
Laborer

Post by Buford »

WOW, I greatly enjoyed that guy’s bridges, another WEGOs engineer. That gives me something to aim for, I may need just a few more bricks.

BTW, his
Teup
Freeman

Post by Teup »

Hmm i had a feeling something was wrong about the cathedral all the time, but only now I know what that was:

It has a red roof.

:D

Are there any cathedrals at all with red roofs?

Also, they're not usually light grey either - but that's just something we have to accept, using dark grey, brown and dark red, which would more resemble a cathedral's walls would be pretty uncool in Lego i think. Kind of distorts the shape, so then I'd prefer light gray. But no, I don't prefer red roofs...
Whatever you do, don't.
Buford
Laborer

Post by Buford »

It’s not red, it’s terracotta. But in general the number of authentic medieval 4’ tall plastic castles or churches has always been an open question.

Since I have a ton of red roof, and more on order I can’t promise any changes, except I also have a little sand green on order things may very slightly.

Have you tried looking at the photos in B&W? It may help.

Some may even suggest Minifigs may not be anatomically correct? Has anyone ever seen a pregnant Minifig?
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Buford wrote:Some may even suggest Minifigs may not be anatomically correct? Has anyone ever seen a pregnant Minifig?
Check Lenny (glencaer)'s Brickshelf gallery. He's got one.
Buford
Laborer

Post by Buford »

>Check Lenny (glencaer)'s Brickshelf gallery. He's got one.

Thanks, I found the gallery but not the lady.
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!