Fall like leaves! ...in... the fall! A study in color

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Fall like leaves! ...in... the fall! A study in color

Post by SavaTheAggie »

First I must apologize for the dark pictures. It was late at night when I shot them, and I don't have a good lighting set up at the moment.

Anyway, after being inspired by THIS POST, I decided to do a study for an article about foliage for Classic-Castle.com. Why do I have a sadistic need to create trees with bricks? You'll have to read the article when it gets posted to C-C.

Anyway, here are a few quick snaps I took to show off what I did. I don't think they're all that spectacular, and I'm sure someone has done this very thing before, so I'm not going to claim they're new. But I'm proud of what I was able to come up with, so thus I post.

So here you go, maxi-trees in their Autumn overcoats:

So there ya go.

--Anthony
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Hey Anthony,
I just saw these on Brickshelf. Very nice. Is that normal red, or dark red? If dark red, how'd you get so much? :) I like blocky trees, but I only have so many green bricks, which always get used up in my ground before I even get to putting trees on top of it. One question, how do brick-y trees look when interspersed with trees using the two foliage pieces? I can't think of a landscape I've seen that uses both types of tree construction.

Bruce
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Bruce N H wrote:Hey Anthony,
I just saw these on Brickshelf. Very nice. Is that normal red, or dark red? If dark red, how'd you get so much? :) I like blocky trees, but I only have so many green bricks, which always get used up in my ground before I even get to putting trees on top of it. One question, how do brick-y trees look when interspersed with trees using the two foliage pieces? I can't think of a landscape I've seen that uses both types of tree construction.

Bruce
I'm afraid it's normal red. I haven't be able to master taking pictures in a good light for LEGO yet, at least consistantly.

When you mix the two types of trees, which I will be addressing in my article for C-C, it doesn't look too bad, as long as you design the leaf trees well. It's easy to make a confierous tree with the leaf pieces, which only adds to the effect of a mixed forest. After all, the difference in appearance between broad leafed trees and needle leafed trees is so great, that the difference between brick trees and leaf trees just mimic that (IMO).

However, when you try to make a deciduous tree with the leaf pieces, you either get a 'shelf' tree effect, which personally I don't quite prefer, or you get a really nice looking big tree that makes the brick-y trees look awful (unless there's a big size difference like with the fruit tree design I've used).

Such a mix can be found on my Stonebarrow Keep, where I have brick trees mixed with small fruit trees. I don't think it looks to bad.

So basically my summation of opinion on that topic is that you can mix the two, but only if the large leaf trees are designed to look coniferous.

--Anthony