Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Brickninja
Here there be dragons

The Sea-Drake

Post by Brickninja »

CCCXII/LoR - The Sea-Drake by Brickninja!, on Flickr
The Sea-Drake
----------------------------------------
Sir Ian Ferguson and a small group of stalwart hunters trudged solemnly down towards the Dunharris docks, carrying bundles of spears and torches. The grey, overcast sky blanketed an ominous feel over the procession. He readily agreed to join the band of hunters against the unknown menace beneath the surface of the murky waters. He had grown to feel Dunharris as a sort of home, and whatever challenged its safety ignited his anger. As they began to lower themselves into two rowboats through the gaping the railing, he felt a firm hand on his shoulder. He turned and looked at Kvasald in the eyes. "Best of luck to you, Sir knight," the Jarl stated. "You will need to travel some miles out to find this beast. If a day has passed without your return, we will begin the search." Sir Ian nodded and clenched his jaw."I will not fail." He dropped down into the rowboat with 3 other men waiting for him and saluted the Dunharris Jarl as the boat was paddled away. As the other boat began to creep out onto the water next to him, the waves lapped rhythmically against the hull, making the boat jump to and fro in the black water. Sir Ian leaned his head back and prepared for the hours-long journey out to sea with a growing into in his stomach. He glanced down at the chunks of meat they had prepared to bait their prey. Suddenly, with no warning, the water exploded in a fury of foam and an enormous, writhing, black shape burst from the water and launched itself toward their boat. Sir Ian recoiled, his senses blazing, and fumbled for a spear. The men on the dock and on the boat ignited in shouts and hoarse screams.Two of the men were smashed from his boat as the beast curled over the coracle, sending splinters spraying into the air. The little vessel lurched dangerously as the weight of the massive serpent pulled it forward. The scaly, spined body plunged again into the depths, sending a great spume of water over Ian. He, shuddering, held out a hand to one of the men trashing with terror in the water and lifted him dripping into the boat. "That thing will devour us all!" he cried. Kvasald, on the dock, sprung into action with a cry of: "Bring the bows! It is within range of the dock!" Men on the dock sprinted away. The massive body thundered out of the depths again, dangerously close to the second boat. Spears were hurled in a volley at the great black serpent, and one man on the second craft raised a crossbow, the heavy weapon ringing with a dull thud as the quarrel sped towards the monster. It disappeared once more, bubbles springing to the undulating surface. "Where'd it go?!"
"Kill it, kill it!"
The shouts were repeated from the docks and the boats. Men began to return to the docks, running and bearing bows with broadhead arrows.The water churned violently to the left of Sir Ian's boat as the serpent burst from the water, coiling over the boat and knocking another two men into the waves. Sir Ian was ready this time and jabbed his spear into the sable hide. It was much harder than expected, and this time the monster's attack was not without consequence. The stern of the rowboat cracked and splintered under the enormous weight filling the craft with water. It slowly tipped and began to sink. thatch thatch thatch!a volley of arrows poured from the docks, but most glanced off the toughened hide with little accuracy. The capsized rowboat was being pulled further and further from the dock by the waves and the great serpent. Its constrictive grip tightened And the boat finally gave in, snapping asunder and throwing its remaining occupants into the waves. They paddled desperately for the second boat, which, too, was begin drawn out to sea. Sir Ian clambered aboard, only to be thrown screaming into the air as the monster's head rammed into the hull of the boat. He landed in the murky water and rose desperately to the surface. The others were floundering around int he water. He cast about for something to hold onto. Chunks of torn wood were bobbing in the waves, but his hand found a spear, the very one he had been wielding earlier. He grasped it and as a wave rolled over him and pulled him under, looked down into the murky depths. Terror engulfed him as he saw a great, black, tooth-filled maw rising swiftly towards him. Drawing his strength, he pulled the spear downwards and furiously smote straight into the gaping mouth, driving the iron point hard. Sir Ian was jerked backwards and landed on a start slab of wood, smashing the back of his head against a metal binding and losing consciousness.
----------------------------------------
This is it, guys. This is the build I have been discretely hinting at to y'all all year. I have had this and the consequent story arc planned out for many months, and I have been enormously excited to finally build this, drawing from my fascination with fantastical sea monsters. I hope you enjoy this MOC which I consider to be my best and most intense Lands of Roawia build so far. So please share your opinions with me. Fire-breathing dragons are for wimps >:D

So this is my J2 entry to the LoR Hero's Guild for the Lands of Roawia on Merlin's Beard forums.

This is also an entry to the "Small Miscellaneous" category of CCCXII over on Classic-Castle.

Finally, find the frog :D
mpoh98
Justiciar

Re: The Sea-Drake

Post by mpoh98 »

Your best yet Brickninja! :D Love the water, and nice sense of motion! Great story as well.
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/75100]Mocpages[/url], [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/92459453@N08/]Flickr[/url]
Support [url=https://ideas.lego.com/projects/74333]Huckleberry Finn[/url] on Lego Ideas!
Philippians 4:13