Gravensteen Castle

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
LittleJohn
Admin
Admin

Gravensteen Castle

Post by LittleJohn »

My entry into large miscellaneous for the CCC.

Sir Quinlan had heard of the attacks of the dragon across the countryside,and had been informed to be alert, but he brushed off the warning giving it no more that a thought, which proved to be a mistake.The next day he was enjoying his noonday meal, when he heard shouts of alarm and went outside to see what was going on. No sooner than he had stepped outside he saw a nightmare before his eyes.

Meanwhile:Gravensteen castle had a dungeon, and at the moment it held 3 prisoners, who had been quite busy the last 6 months digging an escape tunnel with only a metal bar to dig through solid rock.
Today they planned to make their escape having only to bust the last little bit of rock and run for it. At least that was what they thought... they went down their jagged little tunnel hardly big enough to fit in,making their plan to run in all different directions, so the guards who went after them couldn't follow them all at the same time. As they started chiseling out the last pieces of rock they saw a ray of light coming through a crack and then there was a big enough hole to fit through! But when the prisoner, who had been chiseling, saw the scene outside: his jaw dropped.

Sir Quinlan was stunned for a moment. This was the dragon he had been warned about, and now here it was burning the castle's surrounding landscape, soon to burn the castle. But then, the warrior side of him came into action and he rushed inside for his sword and helmet. Running as quickly as he could with full armor, he shouted to his men: "Follow me!" He jumped onto his big battle-horse galloping it across the drawbridge toward the dragon who now turned to face him.

The prisoner quickly regained his senses and started crawling backwards as fast as he could, which meant he bumped into the next escapee in line.

"Watch it!" he yelled. "What are you trying to do ruin our plan? Who knows when someone will come walking down that path and see our hole? Then what do we do huh?"

First prisoner: "Oh, I'm sorry, here I'll let you go first..."

Second prisoner:Well, I should say you ought to, bumping into me like that! I think you gave me a headache!The second prisoner crawls to the opening and readies himself to run for freedom, but then sees the dragon and stops, seemingly frozen in place.

Sir Quinlan felt the heat of the dragons breath but kept charging, lance stretched out in front of him. Some of his men followed close behind, others just stood , staring at the dragon in fear. It was then one of the guards who noticed something they hadn't seen before, something that brought hope.

Kendrick had been traveling with the heroes on a mission to kill the dragon at all costs, and now he saw why. There before his eyes was what used to be a beautiful landscape. Now what he saw was burning grass and an unfortunate tree that looked the same as the grass. Burnt. While he was thinking this, the heroes were coming up behind the dragon hoping to kill it before it noticed them.

Meanwhile:One of the guards who had been off duty in the keep had seen what was going on and grabbing a bow and quiver, he started climbing the ladder that led to the little lookout tower on top of the keep. When he got to the top, he could see the dragon and Sir Quinlan, charging at it. He quickly drew an arrow and took aim. He let go of the string, and watched it sail toward it's target. It hit but it wasn't vital and merely made the dragon angry. Again he drew back an arrow, and took aim. The dragon was flying now and it was harder to aim than before. He let go of the string.

After the dragon had flown up, Sir Quinlan looked around, and to his surprise he saw 3 fully armed men where the dragon had been a few seconds ago. There was no time for formality and he simply asked, "Who are you?" The man who appeared to be the leader spoke quickly telling of their mission to kill the dragon at any cost. No sooner had he finished than one of the men let out a shout of surprise.

The second prisoner now wished he had found out why the first prisoner had backed down, but being ashamed to do the same thing after he had so arrogantly
went out himself, decided to stand very still and hope no one (and nothing) saw him until he made his break for it. It was then that he heard it, a deafening crash.

Sir Quinlan heard the cry of alarm quickly followed by the deafening crash and looked to his right to see the dead form of the dragon, an arrow through it's heart. He looked up and saw a man up in the keep's tower a broad smile of accomplishment on his face. The dragon was dead.

Finally, the second prisoner decided to go back inside the tunnel, even if it meant being laughed at. They could fill the hole back in for now, and escape some other day he thought.

Later,Sir Quinlan invited the heroes to a celebration feast and everyone laughed, sang, and ate.
The man who shot the dragon was knighted in reward for his valiant actions.

This was my first time really writing a story, so any input would be great :D
The keeps kitchen:
Link to more pictures:https://www.flickr.com/photos/130093880@N02/

All C&C appreciated :)
Sir Valiant
Archer

Re: Gravensteen Castle

Post by Sir Valiant »

Excellent work LittleJohn! :)
For your first castle, you have done a great job and come up with a solid build. The tan color makes it unique first of all, and I love the landscape it is set in and the surrounding swampy moat. The castle itself is different in a good way, the angels are nice and a rounded wall section is good too. IT has a unique shape which is better than the standard four walls. Nice to see an interior as well! :)

Happy Building,
Sir Valiant~
"Soli Deo Gloria"
Sir Valiant~ ----------[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/93632612@N08/]Flickr[/url]
Brickninja
Here there be dragons

Post by Brickninja »

Very nice, way to go and break the mold by doing a more realistic moat color.
Dragon Knight
Serf

Post by Dragon Knight »

A Spectacular Castle !....well done!
LettuceBrick
Bailiff

Post by LettuceBrick »

I love how the castle is angled; the moat is nice as well.
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/friskywhiskers/Castle/banner.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/thumb/militia2.bmp_thumb.jpg[/img] [img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3834/9548735160_d90b6f3d8e_m.jpg[/img]
LittleJohn
Admin
Admin

Post by LittleJohn »

Sir Valiant wrote:Excellent work LittleJohn! :)
For your first castle, you have done a great job and come up with a solid build. The tan color makes it unique first of all, and I love the landscape it is set in and the surrounding swampy moat. The castle itself is different in a good way, the angels are nice and a rounded wall section is good too. IT has a unique shape which is better than the standard four walls. Nice to see an interior as well! :)

Happy Building,
Sir Valiant~
Thanks for such a long comment! :D Although, it's really my second castle. This is my first one:http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5966142
Glad you like the interior, as that was my favorite I've ever done.
Brickninja wrote:Very nice, way to go and break the mold by doing a more realistic moat color.
Thanks brickninja :)
Dragon Knight wrote:A Spectacular Castle !....well done!
Thank you :)
LettuceBrick wrote:I love how the castle is angled; the moat is nice as well.
Thanks, glad you like how the castle is angled.
Graham Gidman
Laborer

Post by Graham Gidman »

Fantastic build! :wink:
LittleJohn
Admin
Admin

Post by LittleJohn »

Graham Gidman wrote:Fantastic build! :wink:
Thanks, Graham! :D