Black Tower Castle

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Black Tower Castle

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Yeah, kinda cheezy name, but it'll have to do for the time being.

Anyways the castle is backed on to the ocean, which not only gives it protection from attack but also serves as a route for bringing in supplies, even during a siege (there is a rumour that hostilities are planned against the monarch of this realm). I put some blue plates on the side of the castle where the water comes up to, so you have to use your imagination a bit.

There is a peddler's cart that I made a while back featured here as well.

As you can see there is a kitchen, great hall with royal quarters above it, a stable with quarters for the castle workers (armourer's, weaponsmiths, gong farmer, etc) a weapon/black smith, armourer, and poleturner.

I was going for as much realism as possible, but sadly a full scale castle is not economically possible for most of us. So there are no quarters for the troops garrisoned here, except in the towers.

This castle is home to the Black Knights and Dragon Masters.

My next project will not be on a raised plane the way this is. It takes a lot of time and a lot of brick to support those baseplates properly.

All comments and criticisms welcome.

Also I just realized I did not get a shot of the back where the great hall and royal quarters are. There is a wall that swings out. I will update it later.

Teaser http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=924787

Post mod gallery http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=97506
Troy T. Moore
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

It looks very, very nice. It's true to the classic style, but obviously much larger and more detailed.
My only criticism is that if you name a castle 'Black Tower Castle,' the black tower should probably be a more prominent feature in an otherwise grey color scheme.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Doctorsparkles, point taken, althought the two main towers and the one in the back right corner are black, hence the name......

I have added a pic of the back of the castle, the two stories open up at once; http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=925181

Also I added 10 pics of the besieging army.
Troy T. Moore
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Troy T. Moore wrote:Doctorsparkles, point taken, althought the two main towers and the one in the back right corner are black, hence the name......
Ah, I missed two of them then. I only saw one of the front corner ones. The name makes more sense now.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

Awesome stuff. I saw this on BS shelf earlier this week and went oooooo awwwwwww. I really like it. The kitchen is cool and I love the great hall. What is that red thing with the skeloten hand sticking out supposed to be? A lobster possibly? If so nice work! I like the siege towers too. A very very very very very very very very very very very (well you get the point)nice moc
Space rocks.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Forester3291 wrote
What is that red thing with the skeloten hand sticking out supposed to be? A lobster possibly?
Actually it is supposed to be fresh or smoked meat with the bone sticking out, like leg of lamb, venison or pork. I have seen this in several MOCs (James from England had a butcher shop and somebody else had a smoke house) So I'm not sure who originated the idea, but I copied it because it was a good solution and gives the desired effect.
Troy T. Moore
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

Troy T. Moore wrote:Forester3291 wrote
What is that red thing with the skeloten hand sticking out supposed to be? A lobster possibly?
Actually it is supposed to be fresh or smoked meat with the bone sticking out, like leg of lamb, venison or pork. I have seen this in several MOCs (James from England had a butcher shop and somebody else had a smoke house) So I'm not sure who originated the idea, but I copied it because it was a good solution and gives the desired effect.

Ohh. What's knew, I'm always wrong :D Well keep up the great work.
Space rocks.
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Troy T. Moore wrote:I have seen this in several MOCs (James from England had a butcher shop and somebody else had a smoke house) So I'm not sure who originated the idea, but I copied it because it was a good solution and gives the desired effect.
Do you have links to their galleries? I believe the butcher shop was one that I have been searching for on Brickshelf for a while, but I haven't been able to find it.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Doctorsparkles here is James homepage, I can't find it here I may be mistaken.... http://www.minifig.co.uk/

Mon Of Iron, the tiles are from S@H (although they would be available from Bricklink as well)
Troy T. Moore
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Nice work Troy,

I really like the dock, wouldn't it be nice if the 32 x 32 blue baseplate could be made available again, it would help with those seaside castles. What else do I like that everyone else haven't already covered? I like the inclusion of the guardhouse, that is a nice detail and one I have been planning as well. :D I really like the great hall, I know how hard it is to make one of these look good on the scale most of us have to build with. Your great hall is one of the better ones I have seen. The carriage you made and the stable are also great. You have a definite eye for this. Now for the bad... I am sorry, I don't like the yellow wattle and daub building, the stables and the kitchen are white, so I would have liked to see that color scheme continue.

From the looks of the assembling armies, the Black Knights must have cheated and the old Monarchs poker tourney. :wink:

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Wow! How about Mondo Castle on the Coast? Great large scale stuff here Troy. My big stuff is just as patchwork because I run short of colors. I really like it. Ok now to make it a feedback sandwich, I'd say lose the ground level openings. They smack of the grandaddy 375, but are not practical.

Don't build anymore guest rooms, lest Derek--that is Vladek's Mom comes for a visit. :shock: Yikes hide the silver!
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

LEGO Shop at Home:
http://shop.lego.com/
(also the catalogs).

Bruce