~Journey Among Thieves~ "Bladefall"

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Andared of Lenfald
Foot Soldier

~Journey Among Thieves~ "Bladefall"

Post by Andared of Lenfald »

A freebuild for the Lands of Roawia RPG, and the second chapter of "Journey Among Thieves".

~Journey Among Thieves~ Chapter Two: "Bladefall"

Image~Journey Among Thieves~ Chapter Two: "Bladefall": by Andared of Lenfald, on Flickr

=====

Great flashes of light burst over the city of Bladefall as fireworks of all colors were fired into the air. The sounds of laughter and merrymaking could be heard from well outside the city walls, and the smoke of a great bonfire slowly rolled up into the clear and starry night sky. Barrels of wine were brought out of the cellars, and all manner of food was arrayed on seemingly endless tables. But before the feasting and entertainment could begin, all the citizens, both Lenfel, Garhim, and the few Loreesi who were there, were to pay respect to the fallen heroes for whom the feast was dedicated to.

In the midst of the crowd, Michael was slowly making his way toward the Oar and Boar Inn. His father, Nathaniel Breadman, was the current innkeeper, and the inn had belonged to the Breadman family for three generations. When Michael turned eighteen a few months prior, his father had been far from subtle in his suggestions that a time would come when the inn would belong to him. The Oar and Boar had a prestigious reputation throughout Bladefall and the surrounding area, and it was heavily trafficked by Garhim traders and merchants. To be the innkeeper of such an establishment was a great gift, and it held the promise of a profitable and comfortable life.

But Michael did not want it.

For many years now, he had taken up the profession of hunting, and he provided much of the food that was served at the Oar and Boar. He enjoyed the outdoors, and he scoffed at a sedentary life. He imagined himself as a merchant (it could not be denied that Michael had great charisma, as well as a keen head for business), or perhaps he could someday join the ranks of the Lenfel Scout Snipers. ‘A life of adventure,’ he could oft be heard to speak of when discussing the future with his father. ‘That’s what I want.’
Michael was thankful for the opportunities he had been given in Bladefall, but the thrill of adventure appealed to him more than anything. He only wondered when that opportunity would come. Perhaps when—

“Michael!” the familiar voice of an old friend brought him back to reality.

Michael turned to where the voice had come from and saw Jonathan, his best friend from childhood, fighting through the sea of people between them. His black hair contrasted sharply with his fair skin, and his resemblance was not unlike that of Jonathan’s father. He was not a bold or outgoing individual, but he carried himself with a sense of nobility and grace.

“Jonathan!” Michael grinned and embraced Jonathan when he arrived. “I did not think to see you until summer! Did the scholars in Stoneborough cast you out already?”

“No, not yet I am afraid,” Jonathan chuckled. “My studies go well, although I confess that at times it can grow quite tedious. But I have worked diligently, and my professors were kind enough to allow me a brief holiday for tonight’s celebration!”

“What great fortune!” Michael clapped his friend on the back. “And I trust you still have the support of your father in your pursuits?”

Jonathan’s father, Halthion Strongbow was a nobleman of Lenfald, and the current Captain of the Guard for the city of Bladefall. He was renowned for his valorous feats in past wars, and it had long been assumed that Jonathan would follow in his father’s footsteps and become a great warrior of Lenfald. But Jonathan had always had a passion for scholarly pursuits, and not great deeds of war.

“Yes, he is as steady in his support as he always has been,” Jonathan replied. “He rarely speaks of his part in past wars, and I do not think he wants to. I believe he is quite happy that I do not wish to brandish a sword or loose an arrow.”

“That is excellent! Although I have never understood your devotion to ancient lore and seemingly endless compendiums. The thrill of adventure has always held a greater appeal to me,” Michael said, as he gestured toward the Oar and Boar Inn. “I was just on my way to meet my father and mother before our beloved, though long-winded, mayor gives his speech. Will you join me?”

Jonathan readily obliged, and within minutes they had joined Mr. and Mrs. Breadman just outside of the Oar and Boar. The Breadmans were delighted to see Jonathan, and after they had finished their greetings, the group made their way to the town square for the official beginning of the festivities.

As was the time honored tradition amongst Lenfels, the duty for honoring the fallen heroes of any town fell to the mayor. A large platform had been erected in the town square for this purpose, and as the fanfare of trumpets signaled for the crowd to become silent, Mayor Inglewood ascended the steps of the platform and prepared to deliver his speech.

“Citizens of Bladefall, sons of Garheim, and travelers from Loreos,” the mayor began. “It is my great privilege to welcome you to our fair city on this joyous night! As you are all well aware, tonight is the night that we shall celebrate our collective victory over the dark forces of Maldrake the Silent and the false Queen Galainir. I encourage you to feast heartily and be merry with your fellow man, for we are truly blessed to have been released from our bondage to such evil forces.”

“Oh how I wish that I could have been at the grand assault on Maldrake’s fortress!” Michael whispered to Jonathan. “I should have liked to have had the chance to slay the wretched villain myself.”

“We have much to be thankful for,” the mayor continued. “And none deserve our thanks more than those who gave their lives in sacrifice for their homelands and for freedom. Let us never forget the brave men who marched through the snow and ice of Garheim, only so that they could later be buried in it. War is a terrible thing, and our lands have seen much of it in recent times. Let us all be thankful for the peace which has been bought at so great a price. I believe it is time we stopped concerning ourselves with flags and borders, and began seeking after hearth and home. Whether Lenfel, Loreesi, or Garhim, let us rebuild our lands and extend goodwill toward all men!”

Several people in the crowd cheered and clapped at these remarks, and the mayor took this opportunity to gather his breath before resuming his speech.

“Finally, I am sure you are all quite hungry by now, so I shall leave you with this:
Remember the fallen, whose swords were shattered,
Remember the promise of spring to come,
Remember the living, whose homes are battered,
Remember our vict’ry, for we have won!”

A great cheer erupted from the crowd, and there were high spirits throughout the city. Trumpets blew and fireworks were lit once more to signal that the time for feasting had begun. Michael went with Jonathan to go and celebrate, but as he did so he wondered when he would have the chance to do great deeds and bring glory to great Lenfald as well…

From just outside the port city of Bladefall, a full moon shone brightly over the Great Northern Sea. Its beam faintly illuminated tattered black sails, which moved slowly across the great waves. The ship to which these sails belonged was concealed by a grey fog which hovered just above the sea itself and crept towards the shore. The mysterious boat appeared as though it were merely adrift at sea, but a keen eye could not mistake that the ship’s course was for land.

“Keep that rudder steady, Gorthan,” a gruff voice called out from the bow of the ship. “We need to reach land before dawn.”

“Aye, Captain Steelfist!”

Jarrek Steelfist, renowned among outlaws as one to be feared, strode over to the ship’s railing and stared across the vast sea that lay between him and his destination. He watched as fireworks burst in the sky above Bladefall. A cruel smile began to manifest along the corners of his mouth as he watched the brilliant explosions of light.

“So, the Lenfel dogs are having a party?” He wondered aloud. “We shall have to join them…”

======

I will be the first to say that this build is not my finest work. Sadly, my collection is not yet geared towards making large city builds yet, and I've also been pressed for time. Future installments will hopefully come a bit sooner (I'd like to shoot for at least once every two weeks, although I'll try and be even faster than that). This chapter was another long one, as far as most LoR stories go, and that's about what the standard chapter for "Journey Among Thieves" will look like. I hope this won't deter you from reading it though! Once again, thank you for your time, and I hope you enjoyed it.
LittleJohn
Admin
Admin

Re: ~Journey Among Thieves~ "Bladefall"

Post by LittleJohn »

Great build! I really like the SNOT masonry bricks for the street :)
Justin M
Sheriff

Re: ~Journey Among Thieves~ "Bladefall"

Post by Justin M »

Nicely done! :)
[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8120/86369329 ... 2cc9_m.jpg[/img]
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/112482494@N07/]Flickr[/url] [url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/79686]Mocpages[/url] [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Jbob]Brickshelf[/url]
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. Colossians 3:23