[MOC] The Floating Island of Todaidh Beag

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Cesbrick
Peasant

[MOC] The Floating Island of Todaidh Beag

Post by Cesbrick »

Many years ago, Earth passed thru a series of climatic and environment events that led to massive changes on the atmosphere and also on the earth surface composition. Lighter-than-air gases, such as helium or hydrogen became predominant and made some landmasses detached from the ground and start free floating on the skies. Most are huge, stunning and majestic, with waterfalls, rivers and entire towns. Others are small with just one or two houses and a few families.
Inhabitants had to adapt and to evolve because huge chunks of the Earth surface were now drifting and floating. These islands are usually free-floating and may be directed by the whim of their inhabitants, whilst others may be permanently anchored. Basic resources like food and drinkable water are becoming scarce. Most people have to travel on rudimentary vehicles that float with the help of balloons so they can look for supplies and other necessities. Some even anchor other small floating islands to use them as crops fields and animal farms or just because they want to increase their property.
Todaidh Beag is one of those islands. Holds Triroof Manor, home of Godfrey Morgan, his wife, Bella and his 2 sons, Cyrus and Malcumus. Cyrus and Malcumus often leave the island on their balloon boat to find food and supplies. Most of the times they endure bad weather, air pirates and other dangers. But they still have to do the trips to be able to survive and help their family.

So guys, this is my latest build and I think this is a new favorite of mine. Even more then my Bluewater Castle as I think this one fits much more my building style. My latest castle builds were drifting to a more vibrant and colorful style that pleases me very much and this one is no exception. It’s not a steampunk build as it does not fit the bill entirely, but I like how it turned out.
Anyway, I’m big fan of floating islands literature and stories and it was about time I made a MOC on that theme. I intend, if time and life allows, to build more on these theme.
This thing is huge and it was the most challenging build so far. First I made the base with all the landscape and the house, etc. It was build on a very thick and strong base with lots of plates and 16x1 bricks. Then I made an oval technic frame in the shape of an inverted pyramid (I will post a pic or two of the frame later)with a core center of 2x4 bricks were the all landscape, house, etc stands on top. Perfectly balanced :) Inspiration from Life in the sky by Vladimir Kustuchek and the round tower part was from David Hensel latest build.

It has lots of small details like the balloon boat, the harpoon to anchor smaller islands and other random stuff. If you want to see lots of details and small things please take a look at all the photos. I took a bunch :)
Hope you like it.
PS: yes, this is a Medium Azure roof. And I love this color :)

ImageThe Floating Island of Todaidh Beag
Brickninja
Here there be dragons

Re: [MOC] The Floating Island of Todaidh Beag

Post by Brickninja »

Absolutely gorgeous!!
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Those sunflowers are excellent! :) The rest of the build is very attractive too but the use of the seed part is my favourite. I also agree that the medium azure works excellently for the roof. Is that technique with the upside down palm leaves for some kind of firs (I assume they are?) your idea by the way? It works really well anyhow. I also like the interesting story you have going on here and hope to see you continue working on this world.
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Cesbrick
Peasant

Post by Cesbrick »

Brickninja wrote:Absolutely gorgeous!!
Thanks Brickninja ;)
Maedhros wrote:Those sunflowers are excellent! :) The rest of the build is very attractive too but the use of the seed part is my favourite. I also agree that the medium azure works excellently for the roof. Is that technique with the upside down palm leaves for some kind of firs (I assume they are?) your idea by the way? It works really well anyhow. I also like the interesting story you have going on here and hope to see you continue working on this world.
Thanks a lot Maedhros for your kind words. The sunflowers came out great. And you know, I did not know about the seed part until I finished the build. :lol: Then I saw it and said to my self: cool, what a coincidence" .
Yes, those trees are firs. They are quite common in my country and putting the palm trees upside down make them more realistic.
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Cesbrick wrote:
Maedhros wrote:Those sunflowers are excellent! :) The rest of the build is very attractive too but the use of the seed part is my favourite. I also agree that the medium azure works excellently for the roof. Is that technique with the upside down palm leaves for some kind of firs (I assume they are?) your idea by the way? It works really well anyhow. I also like the interesting story you have going on here and hope to see you continue working on this world.
Thanks a lot Maedhros for your kind words. The sunflowers came out great. And you know, I did not know about the seed part until I finished the build. :lol: Then I saw it and said to my self: cool, what a coincidence" .
Yes, those trees are firs. They are quite common in my country and putting the palm trees upside down make them more realistic.
They are very common in my country too, but probably of another variety than yours. Anyhow, I am glad to have found a useful technique to represent them! :)
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
AardWolf
Apprentice

Post by AardWolf »

As I said on Flickr, this is my absolute favorite from you. The shaping, bright colors, and fantasy theme all embody your style perfectly. This build is a culmination of your techniques and details that you've developed through your other MOCs, and the result is truly a masterpiece. I absolutely love this build! Great use of the seed part too :)
LittleJohn
Admin
Admin

Post by LittleJohn »

Simply stunning creation! :twitch: :twitch: The layout of the house is amazing, and I love all the vibrant colors you used :D
BohuslavIII
Villein

Post by BohuslavIII »

Super work. The fantasy is a perfect fit, building techniques are amazing. I'm just wondering, that's probably not some exhibition events. :twisted: :halo:
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=BohuslavIII]my Gallery[/url]
Please excuse my English, is a product of the compiler. I speak only czech language.
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

This is really gorgeous, Cesar. The shape of the landscaping and the mix of greens works really well. Other favorite details include the greebled quoins, the sagging roof, the waterfall going off the side of the rock, and that little harpoon/grappling hook gun.

Bruce
[url=http://comicbricks.blogspot.com/]ComicBricks[/url] [url=http://godbricks.blogspot.com/]GodBricks[/url] [url=http://microbricks.blogspot.com/]MicroBricks[/url] [url=http://minilandbricks.blogspot.com/]MinilandBricks[/url] [url=http://scibricks.blogspot.com/]SciBricks[/url] [url=http://vignettebricks.blogspot.com/]VignetteBricks[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/bricktales/]Brick Tales[/url]