Classic-Castle.com

The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

November Topic: Inspiration for Castle builds

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations

November Topic: Inspiration for Castle builds

Postby Bluesecrets » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:47 pm

What makes you want to build castle? A movie, a book, an actual castle? Please tell us what is is and if you would like to share why it is your inspiration that would be lovely too.
~ Brickshelf~Flickr~

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Re: November Topic: Inspiration for Castle builds

Postby Witz Bricks » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:34 am

I get inspiration from a lot of things. :)

-Books
-Movies
-MOCs by other builders
-Strange Lego pieces
-Colorschemes
-And of course real life landscapes and buildings

I'm also kinda curious, will there be a CCC this year?
Witz Bricks
Serf

Postby mrcp6d » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:44 pm

I'd say my inspiration usually comes from movies, pictures, and, interestingly, vacations. Contest prompts or community-led theme builds are usually even more effective sources of inspiration. :)
mrcp6d
Artisan

Postby Bruce N H » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:50 pm

Hey all,

It's not secret that Tolkien is my muse. I've got a long dormant project to illustrate the Lord of the Rings in brick form. This is my favorite book that I've been going back again and again for literally decades now.

Rather than point to my own work, I'd like to point to a current project by Thorsten Bonsch who is creating a series of over 40 vignettes working his way sequentially through The Hobbit. He's up to "Queer Lodgings", the chapter where they meet Beorn.

I love his solution for the rainstorm in this one:

Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Postby Mark of Siloam » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:52 am

I usually take my inspiration from architecture I photograph while on vacations. It's so easy to photograph architectural features but getting time to recreate them all in bricks is the problem.

I also love reading classic books. They often have beautiful descriptions of ornate rooms, blissful or war-torn landscapes, or a sprawling castle on a hill. The few times I've recreated something from a book I have thoroughly enjoyed it.
Mark of Siloam
Villein

Postby TheLordOfBricks » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:59 pm

I think I am most inspired to build castle by other builders. Books are the next biggest inspiration, especially Tolkien's works. Next, it's interesting pieces I see that I can see being used in a unique way. Next would be things I see in real life, mostly small tidbits of landscape, or a certain feature on a building that I see and can reimagine it as part of a medieval building. The only movies that have inspired me are middle earth and Harry potter movies. Colorschemes like Carter said are also a big thing for me, I often go about identifying colors I see in the real world and placing it as a lego color in my mind. :) I'd also be curious to see if the CCC is running this year, and would love to see it continue, even without prizes. :)
"I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”" Psalms 91:2

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/158415872@N02/
TheLordOfBricks
Foot Soldier

Postby jtooker » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:50 pm

Like many have said, a variety of sources. The latest Zelda game, Breath of the Wild, has been a particular source of inspiration for me lately - I love the landscaping and castle/town ruins. Overall, other MOC builders have been the biggest source of inspiration. Derfel Cadarn's Detailed guide to building a medieval village was especially helpful.

I also pick up inspiration from many little places. Most recently this interactive pencil art.

The Dragon Masters line was what really hooked me into LEGO castle as a kid.
jtooker
Peasant

Return to Castle MOCs