Mercenary Keep

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Mr. D
Councilor

Mercenary Keep

Post by Mr. D »

Well, here it is finally; Mercenary Keep.

It was originally built for an animation that I did. I then added the wall and surrounding details and entered it in a local fair, where it won second place (don't ask me about the first-place winner. :wink:)

The black color gave me fits, at first, while photographing the inside, I either got glare, or a deep, dark, detail-less pit. I think I got some somewhat decent photos of it at last.

So, please tell me what you think! You are very, very welcome to post negative comments as well as positive ones, and I would also welcome critique on the editing job.

D-man
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Overall, a very nice-looking keep.

My only comment/criticism is that the the raised baseplate at the back doesn't blend in quite enough. It doesn't match either the rest of the ground or the keep above it. Not a major concern, but something I noticed.

Like I said, it's mostly a great job.
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Thanks, Formie.

The baseplate actually wasn't supposed to match the ground around it; the ground around is covered with grass, but the raised plate is a stone base.

D-man
jwcbigdog
Apprentice

Post by jwcbigdog »

Very nice job overall! I really like the fountain and the wall/gate looks nice. I don't mind the raised baseplate, I think it works and I would have probably used it if I were you. It may be the easy road, but they give you a quick landscape.

My only criticism is all the black. I think that a lot of the details you put in are lost due to the dark colors. The use of even a small amount of grey or red would have a great visual impact and help bring out the details you have spent time putting in.

Great job!!

P.S. What was so bad about the 1st place entry?
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Hey,

Very cool. I like a lot of the details such as the way you've broken up the flat-ness of the front wall, the fountain, the way you included the 1x1x5 column pieces, the flags, and especially the garderobe :lol:. My one criticism is the color scheme, which doesn't work for me, but oh well. I like the areas where you included the quarter-circle fence but worry about that as far as defensibility goes. Perhaps these balconies should be up a level?

Bruce
[url=http://comicbricks.blogspot.com/]ComicBricks[/url] [url=http://godbricks.blogspot.com/]GodBricks[/url] [url=http://microbricks.blogspot.com/]MicroBricks[/url] [url=http://minilandbricks.blogspot.com/]MinilandBricks[/url] [url=http://scibricks.blogspot.com/]SciBricks[/url] [url=http://vignettebricks.blogspot.com/]VignetteBricks[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/bricktales/]Brick Tales[/url]
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Dale,

Its looking pretty good to me. I really like the outer wall and how you did the gate. I also like how you incorporated it on that raised baseplate.

However I don't care too much for the tiles leading out to the fountain, it just doesn't look pleasing.

Great keep!

DM

p.s. just tell us who one first, lemme guess a baby using PRIMO? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

Very cool D man. I saw this earlier on BS and liked it. I didn't even notice it was yours.

I really like the many mercenearies man. keep up the good work.
Space rocks.
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Thanks; many thanks to all!
jwcbigdog wrote:Very nice job overall! I really like the fountain and the wall/gate looks nice. I don't mind the raised baseplate, I think it works and I would have probably used it if I were you. It may be the easy road, but they give you a quick landscape.

My only criticism is all the black. I think that a lot of the details you put in are lost due to the dark colors. The use of even a small amount of grey or red would have a great visual impact and help bring out the details you have spent time putting in.

Great job!!
I really don't have enough gray to use at all, or I would have and I don't like red and black together. So... there you go. Also, I did NOT mean use the raised plate as a quick landscape. If I would have had enough gray, brown, and/or green, I would have built one.
P.S. What was so bad about the 1st place entry?
It was this crazy ship (no color coordination) in the style of an old paddle-wheeler (but without the paddles) with lazers sticking out on al sides, multicolored kitchen etc. and it was covered with a mixture of Space, Pirates, and Alpha Team figs.
Hey,

Very cool. I like a lot of the details such as the way you've broken up the flat-ness of the front wall, the fountain, the way you included the 1x1x5 column pieces, the flags, and especially the garderobe . My one criticism is the color scheme, which doesn't work for me, but oh well. I like the areas where you included the quarter-circle fence but worry about that as far as defensibility goes. Perhaps these balconies should be up a level?

Bruce
Thanks a million; I spent a lot of time thinking up details. The fountain, in fact, was a last-minute deal. As for the color scheme, they're mercenaries! They are bold, rash, flamboyant, and odd. So is they're keep, to some extent. I did worry about the defensibility issue as well. I did add some doors on the inside that can be bared to keep invaders from entering, but that didn't seem to cut it to well; so I built the wall. Besides, have I mentioned that the mercs are a little odd...? :D
Dale,

Its looking pretty good to me. I really like the outer wall and how you did the gate. I also like how you incorporated it on that raised baseplate.

However I don't care too much for the tiles leading out to the fountain, it just doesn't look pleasing.

Great keep!

DM
Thanks to you as well! Thanks for your comments, but, with all respect, I like the tiles leading to the fountain. And it's my keep! ;)
Very cool D man. I saw this earlier on BS and liked it. I didn't even notice it was yours.

I really like the many mercenaries man. keep up the good work.
Nice of you; thanks! Mercenaries are really easy to build; they don't have to look accurate, just cool. :D
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

Mr. D wrote:

I really like the many mercenaries man. keep up the good work.
Nice of you; thanks! Mercenaries are really easy to build; they don't have to look accurate, just cool. :D

Yes indeed. Mercenaries qwould have to be one of my favorite "Non-LEGO" factions. Thogh mercenaries really aren't a faction.
Space rocks.