Dying Celt Vignette

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Trigger
Laborer

Dying Celt Vignette

Post by Trigger »

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=105451
Theres the link. For some reason B-shelf enlarged the pics so they are pretty big. And sorry bout' the pic quality but my camera stinks.

"The woad painted bodies littered the battlefield. the stench and rot of death was every where. The earth was stained red with blood and the very air seemed to be tainted crimson. One lay dying, his hand lifted toward heaven pleading for death for his friends were slayn around him. He died in shock and horror. The Romans had one this time."
RuthleSs__PaLadin
Apprentice

Post by RuthleSs__PaLadin »

Wow. Nice vignette: small, detailed, violent. What battle was that? How many years did the Romans conquer the Celts? Like around 500 right? I always wanted to make a Celt MOC.

DAn
Trigger
Laborer

Post by Trigger »

Thanks! I don't know the exact year though or what battle this could be. I guess it would be any one where the Romans won. LOL! I got the idea from watching The Roman War Machine on the history channel. Glad you like it!
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

The Romans first seriously made an expedition into Britian under Julius Caesar, which would be around 50 B.C., if I'm not mistaken.

They didn't actually conquer any of Britian until the reign of Claudius, (I think that would make it in the 40s A.D.). At this point they occupied most of modern day England and Wales. Modern-day Scotland was never subdued.
Trigger
Laborer

Post by Trigger »

Cool. I was thinking this would have been earlier. Like when the Celts occupied parts of France. but hey, Whales works for me.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Well, technically, the Celts covered all of Gaul (France), Iberia (Spain and Portugal), as well as all the British Isles, with overflow into Germany, Switzerland, and northern Italy...

I must have just been reading too fast. Saw the "woad-painted bodies" and immediately thought about Julius Caesar's invasion of Britian, and must have assumed you were talking about Britain.

The Romans had met the mainland Celts long before. The Gauls from northern Italy attacked and sacked Rome two or three centuries, or yet a few more, before the Republic became an Empire.
Trigger
Laborer

Post by Trigger »

Woad is native to England? Than I guess this was in in England. LOL!
jamitjames
Gentleman

Post by jamitjames »

It's pretty nice, maybe a bit to crowded.
[url=http://radio.laml.org/]LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast[/url]
Trigger
Laborer

Post by Trigger »

Its supposed to be growded. Like a battlefield where the bodys are like heaped upon each other.
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

Its a nice vingette.

It makes me happy that some of the people who were offended by the super model minifigures aren't bothered by the blood shed of this one.
It's a Christmas Miracle!
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Trigger wrote:Woad is native to England? Than I guess this was in in England. LOL!
Well, I don't KNOW that woad is native to England. All that I know is that Julius Caesar mentioned that the BRITISH Celts had woad paint, whereas he said nothing about the mainland Celts.

Like I said, my mind just made an unwarranted assumption.
Trigger
Laborer

Post by Trigger »

Well if its an assumtion its one that I'll bet your right about.
People were offended by a super model minifig?
Scnicker
Landlord

Post by Scnicker »

Yes, someone made a minifig with bikini and some people were offended by it, but this is off-topic.
The vignette is awesome by the way. I love the way you had shown the piled-up dead bodies.
Trigger
Laborer

Post by Trigger »

Thanks! I hope to have a few more vignettes done soon. :twisted:
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

lil Jon wrote:Its a nice vingette.

It makes me happy that some of the people who were offended by the super model minifigures aren't bothered by the blood shed of this one.
Some people?

Would you be referring to ME, by any chance????

Perhaps you should take note of the fact that all of my posts are related to the history of the Celts, and not to the figs at hand.

I will say, however, that while I do not necessarily condone violence, I do not find depictions of it to be as disagreeable as nudity-related depictions.

However, this is not the topic at hand....

The topic is the vignette. I think that it looks quite like a dead battlefield. I personally think it looks like there's too much for one 8x8 square, but I suppose that was look that Trigger was going for.