Introducing the Sava (c) brand Spiral Staircase! (updated)

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

I agree Nathan the 5x5 version is just to big. And yes, it IS tobad that TLC hasn't made 4x4 facets. THough, would they be passible? :?
Space rocks.
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Legolas gave me the idea of putting hinges on my staircase tower... so I did just that.

Pic = link

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

SavaTheAggie wrote:Legolas gave me the idea of putting hinges on my staircase tower... so I did just that.

Pic = link

--Anthony
Thats much better. No you can actually put some figs in that, and they (or you) don't have to worry about getting stuck! I actually am presently doing the same thing for a stair tower on my keep. However, I'm not going with the Sava Stairs :wink:

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

SavaTheAggie wrote:I think so too. I wasn't aware there was a 'correct' direction for a spiral to turn...?
Yeah, as Dragonlord Esq. pointed out, most people are right handed. If you imagine yourself as an invader fighting your way up the spiral steps, you'll have a hard time hitting the defender if he's slightly around the corner up and to your right if you're wielding your sword in your right hand!

-Bryan
Lord Mikal
Archer

Re: Introducing the Sava (c) brand Spiral Staircase! (update

Post by Lord Mikal »

SavaTheAggie wrote: Ok, credit where credit is due. While grading the contest entries in the CCC2, I came across Lord Mikal's Sweetie Pie Bakery. Mikal turned the stairs in the bakery one turn using the 3x3 facet brick, which gave me the idea to go full circle, so to speak.
Enjoy, and thanks for the inspiration Mikal!

--Anthony
Why, thank you! I, frankly, am amazed that a lowly peasant like myself could inspire a master brickworker like you.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:Too bad there are not 4x4 facets. :?
Well, actually, there sort of are. I used the 'Wing 4x4" with the three-stud side built into the wall to turn the corner evenly. The only problem with that design is that you have to use either the (opposite) matching wing on the stair below, or the 3x3 facets underneath. I don't have any 3x3 facets in grey, so I just stacked three wings together. Here are some pictures of the construction:
ImageImage
Notice that using the wings instead of the faceted bricks leaves a three-stud wide opening, plenty for even the most portly wizard to navigate.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=mikal1]My Brickshelf[/url]
Azure, a saltire cantoned with a star in chief and in base and two crescents addorsed in the flanks, argent.
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

Intresting idea with the wing Mikal. I was thinking of something like this before you mentioned it but you may have "refined" my idea.
Space rocks.
medib
Bailiff

Post by medib »

Those are some nifty brick-based stair designs.
I'm partial to the basic black one-piece stairs, for one purpose.
They are wide enough for hamsters to climb to the next floor of the
moc.

I could take a few pictures, but I still think its funny to see my sister's
hamster sleeping on the 2nd floor in one of the rooms in my inn on the
brick bed.

Ben Medinets
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

That's neat, Anthony!

It's a great design which I'm sure I'll "borrow" sometime!

D-Man