Portculli

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Portculli

Post by davee123 »

So. In talking recently to someone who was building a castle, the subject of the portcullis came up. He was using one of these:

Which looks nice, but only has 4 cross-beams... I had always preferred the "standard" square-holes looking style. Unfortunately, that often means building them out of bricks/plates, which makes for rather thick bars.

I had an idea of sort of crazy proportions, as well. Dunno how well it would come out:

Take a bunch of 10-long and 12-long technic axles, and ALL the small black rubber bands you can find. One by one, bind the rubber bands to the axles, creating a grid pattern.

Pros:
- Probably would look pretty cool
- Is adjustable in design to many different sizes
- probably slides easily between 1-stud gap.

Cons:
- Crazily difficult to assemble.
- Not solid. Might bend and flex all around. (Could hide some braces inside the walls to strengthen it, I guess)

Any supercool ideas out there on building portcullises?

DaveE
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Any supercool ideas out there on building portcullises?
Well my favorite idea to building porticullises is when I play brikwars. In that the LEGO Mocs should be smashed up alot, so I just build fortifications with the bricks on hand.
I stick that giant porticullis peice in a bunch of grooved bricks.
If I have the time I get the string and winch thingy. But for temporary castles the wizard just majiks the thing open :wink:
Snap Dracone
Freeman

Post by Snap Dracone »

"Portculles," I think, would be the plural...

Personally, I have never made a custom LEGO portcullis, but Obi-Juan-Kenobi has a rather realistic one. No word on stability, but I doubt a portcullis would have much room to flex in the first place. So with a wall on each side it should be fine.

–Snap
What's the point of having a cake if you're not going to eat it?
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

I've always wanted to get ahold of this part. Unfortunately, there's no pic available. But even thoguh it's a Duplo part, I don't think it would be dramatically overscaled, especially on a large castle.

Cm2
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/porschecm ... onal.1.png[/img]
Think twice. Post once.
Constructum excellentia!
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

As I said in this old post, I've started using this design.

I've actually decided to use it exclusively (unless I find a better design, of course ;)

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.