New Article: The Idea List

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Bricksidge wrote: I believe "Jacques" refers to the book Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens
Yes, thats what I was talking about, a good read btw. A house with a turning wall or secret staircase where people can go. The "Jacques" were people in ATOTC who were plotting the revolution in France.

DM

(and sorry, I accidently overlooked house of prosititution on the list)
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
CJXXX
Serf

--

Post by CJXXX »

I always have a really hard time building villages because when I think of this time period, I think that unless you are the king or one of his very close lord-friends, you are a dirt-poor miserable peasant who can barely afford to eat, definitely illiterate, rebellion-class people. most of the things i think to build seem like too much luxury for this starving blue-collar constituency, and I have a hard time catering to only rich folk in the kingdom. Does anyone else have this problem, or should i just ditch it and assume we're building castles for the upper-middle class?
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Castle structures could be considered for the upper-middle class, shops with homes on the top floor were very common and those were typical of the merchant class and if you build a few single story tudor homes with yellow or tan roofs, you really reflect the old hovels of the poor pretty well. Larger Tudor buildings and buildings out of stone are good for guilds and lets not forget the second most powerful and usually pretty wealthy clergy from that time period. An assortment of buildings in a village is what tends to work best. if you really want a little more authenticity, build about 10 huts for every mercant class home and about 50 for every stone keep. I sure couldn't do it with my collection, but I would love to see a town like that...

Wishful thinking again. :wink:

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

re

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

Pffft! Yeah, you could.;) You and I together could come dang close I think. We should be thinking in the same vein, in other words, the same village. What do you think...shoot for 5 hovels per merchant house? Not including things like Inns and taverns etc.
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

I"m going to use the new Hagrid's hutt for a peasants home. Hopefully I'll be able to get half a dozen over the time they are available. I want at least 15 homes and shops/homes before I attemt my keep and walls. But surely it will be short of historical percision.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II