Creating castle sets at the lego sets size

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
David Girard
Journeyman

Creating castle sets at the lego sets size

Post by David Girard »

I woke up from my lego dark age in january 2003. I stopped playing lego in 1996 at 17 years old. I'm now present in this lego castle fan community.

I collected since january many sets that I wanted to have when I was young. Only golden year lego castle from 1984-1990 (only 1680/1877 in 1990).

Since then I start to create sets too. I use the ldraw program a lot.

I follow a bit the creations you made and I have a question. Why don't you create in the size of the lego castle sets? I don't use castle sets as a source of piece. I love them like they are. I try to create more sets for my lego world.

Also, it seem that many people doesn't use castle wall (4444). Did you hate castle wall ? Many people create tudor style house without tudor castle wall !

Your creations are big. They are very nice, but they don't fit with lego castle sets.

Jon Furman has create something that has the size of the lego castle sets. :wink:
http://news.lugnet.com/announce/moc/?n=781

...So many questions... :?:
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi David,

Most of us built the original sets and really enjoy them. We do find them somewhat limiting scale-wise. That is why many people build tudor style. I have made instructions of some idea book sets that go with the original sets:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=25430

Some people like the castle wall piece. Others do not. While I prefer larger sets, I also like the LEGOLAND Castle format of the 1980's. The classic castle city is combining both styles. You can check that out here:

http://www.classic-castle.com/ccc/standard.html

I hope that helps.

Ben E.
Sets Admin
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

Hi again,

I understand that people want to make more realstic castle and at a greater size. They do beautiful castles. But lego made realistic castle too in there best times.

The fun for me is to make realistic sets to fit with the rest of the castle sets, like if they were concept by lego themselves.

I always wanted to have more peasant in lego and civilian peoples. This is why a start to create sets that correspond to the 1984-1990 lego spirit to add to my castle collection.

I'll post pictures of my creations ASAP. You'll see what I try to say. :)
Magnus
Artisan

lego castle scale

Post by Magnus »

The who point oflego, as far as I'm conerend is to build your own toy/model. Once you collect alot of grey brick, you start thinking youcoudl build a castle far bigger than any set Lego ever put out, and you figure you coul build higher walls, perhaps thicker walls etc. The lego castles are simply not anywhere lose to realistic scale. The towers on most leho castles are two stories higher, plus battlements which makes them about 5 "legometers" high. I get the impression that mocst castles had walls which were higher than this, towers would often have been even higher.

I personally do like using the prefabricated walls, but I wish they had made the windows into smaller arrow slits and made some without windows at all.
Jojo
Master

Re: Creating castle sets at the lego sets size

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

I collected since january many sets that I wanted to have when I was young. Only golden year lego castle from 1984-1990 (only 1680/1877 in 1990).
I agree that the years from 1984 to 1990 have been the Golden Age. Grey castles! Realism! Yeah. I also count the sets from 1992 still as "Legoland" Castle sets even though "Legoland" had already been replaced with "System". However, those sets still got on with the old Castle faction lines resp. invented a new line (Wolfpack) that fit well into the old Castle world.
Why don't you create in the size of the lego castle sets?
There are some who build in "set style". If it's done well I like this stuff a lot.
Also, it seem that many people doesn't use castle wall (4444). Did you hate castle wall ? Many people create tudor style house without tudor castle wall !
Now, indeed I don't like those wall parts too much in my own creations. They just limit the possibilities as using such a part means you get a wall section that is 5 wide and 6 high and has a window in the middle. If you simply add wall part to wall part you get a long row with many windows. That doesn't look like a real castle does.

Bye
Jojo