Hmmmm....

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Dragon Master
Merchant

Hmmmm....

Post by Dragon Master »

After reading the posts about custom weapons I got an idea. Is it possible to cast molds of useful lego pieces say the platemail? And then melt down unwanted lego parts to fill the molds giving you an almost authentic piece? It sounds interesting. Has anyone ever tried?

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
coyote
Peasant

Post by coyote »

You mean recycling bionicles? :roll:
akochan
Villein

Post by akochan »

Nah... just sell the pieces on Bricklink. Then use the money to buy ABS pellets. You can get them at all kinds of stores, including in the form of a giant box o' 10,000 BB pellets. Finding them in just the right shade of grey might be kind of hard though...

-Andy
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Hi DM,

I think casting an existing lego piece is probably a violation of copyright. I'm not too much in the loop with the whole legality thing, but I am pretty sure making a mold from something like the plate mail would be a violation. I am all for customizing existing parts, but I don't think I risk unleashing the legal hounds by casting molds. Just a thought.

Now casting your own design and creating all new "compatible" parts is I think not a violation. Blasterman would know better about this I am sure.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

...on the nose Will.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

But how do you make a mold?

I'd sure as heck like to make molds out of ancient Asiatic weaponry, as well as modern day combat weapons.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
akochan
Villein

Post by akochan »

To make the mold first you need a master. Just use sculpy, or some similar substance to make (in this case a weapon) the sword or whatever. I'd use sculpy because it's easy to work with and can be hardened when you're done with it for preservation purposes... but some people like wax since it's always alterable if you want to modify it later.

As for making the mold once you have a finished master I'll leave that for another to explain since none of my molds for other things ever got any good detail from the master which means I was clearly using the wrong substance for the mold.

-Andy